Torqueboards TB110 Really Big wheels [Serious]

these are what i’m testing out at the moment. they’re the insert type with a belt surface for 15mm belts and no flange. also that’s one of my new 12mm motor pulleys on there.

4 Likes

If those prongs are at least 20mm long it will work better on the new cores, I think

This is the pattern I was referring to

3 Likes

I have found conflicting dimensions of kegel holes. Does anyone have the exact dimensions, basically something that worked for them?

The center of the hole from the center of the wheel have been reported as 15.85, 16, 16.15 etc.

What is the hypotenuse on a right triangle with legs of 0.376" and 0.499"? That should be the diameter of the circle. That’s 0.625" or 15.87mm-ish. I just eyeballed with calipers and 31.75mm diameter centers seems correct

The holes themselves are slightly cone-shapen, with the narrowest part offset slightly from the center, and thus it’s hard to say, but a 5.6mm diameter x 22mm long aluminum pin fits very well.

Recently this offset was switched to the opposite side (close to the outside, about 20mm from the inside) on most wheels coming from the wheel factory.

1 Like

Thank you. I was trying to mate a 3D printed wheel with eLofty kegel adapter but it seems to be in 16.2mm range as opposed to 15.87 like you mentioned. Maybe they did it so as to get a tight fit with the kegel cores.

1 Like

To get a tight fit, don’t increase the centers diameter, but increase the angular offset of the pins, half forward and half backward, by 1 degree each.

1 Like

I need some action on this thread. Whos got picks or some technical stuff to share?

1 Like

This is what it feels like to roll around town on these big ol bouncy beasts:

Featuring my old truck! Damn you BrentAtSkyNet for bringing up misty water-coloured memories.

1 Like

First 20km in on the wheels, they feel good!
With my deck choice wheelbite can be an issue, for that I used quite hard bushings and tightened down trucks. I have to get used to the new turning radius. But gaps, cracks, small stones no issue at all. My feets are always locked in, compared to the other setups I used the board feels glued to the street.

9 Likes

Huge and soft just like…

*Edit, I updated the pulley to have space for two bearings in the pulley. Its spaced for 6mm wide bearings if you use 7mm 608 bearings the spacer between the wheel bearing and pulley bearing should be 4mm instead of the 5mm.

12 Likes

These wheels are sweet! Have been riding them for a bit now and I can even comfortably off-road with them in grass in a park near my place. I didn’t think I’d notice the 3mm diameter increase from my ABECs, but I totally do.

5 Likes

After a few weeks using these wheels I want to give a more in depth review.

First is I love these wheels, there is no going back.

I found only couple downsides

• Wheel bite will probably be an issue with most peoples setups that will need some tuning to eliminate. Unless you have a board that can fit pneumatics then you will be fine.
  • While they will smooth out almost all bumpy terrain there is one case where its quite harsh, if you hit a line where two pavements meet and it wide enough to hit booth wheels it can be very jarring. I think its more noticeable as its like smooth smooth smooth BAM. Where as with smaller harder wheels its more average, bam bam BAM bam. I think this is the only use case where pneumatics would be better other than offroad.
  • Not really a downside but the soft compound does not take well to doing burnouts, leaves lines in the direction of travel quite easily.

Ok onto the things that are good.

• Plush ride.
  • Lots of grip.
  • Lots of grip on bumpy surfaces like, manhole covers, blind person tiles, concrete that is worn to almost rubble.
  • They look cool, they have a motor sport like look.
  • I have had less nails and screws getting embedded in the wheels which I find counter intuitive being so large and soft.
  • I now enjoy going over manhole covers.
  • Lite offroading is possible.
  • My feet and knees are not sore very often.

Things that are a bit weird.

• The compound when worn has a texture that is almost like foam RC racing tires even though its not foam. Makes them look soft.
  • If you spin up the wheel on the bench you can see the outer edge expand from centrifugal force.
  • I have had several regular people comment on the wheels saying they are really big. Hahah.
  • One of my wheels has a small bubble on the edge of the core, and it always blows of the dust around it in a circle, which looks really strange. I had a dream about it, but in the dream the air bubble was like 60% the volume of the wheel.

12 Likes

Weird dream.

I had a dream the other night that I was back in the Army doing some training bullshit and under this deck thing I found hundreds of various colored fender washers and I was shoving them in my rucksack. It was really strange. I felt like Gollum.

11 Likes

Thoughts on using these wheels on an unpowered skateboard?

1 Like

You will be better off picking something below 85mm or lower

These wheels won’t ride well and are twice the price of regular longboard wheels

I see.
The intention is less so for a pure longboard, but rather for a longboard-in-transition to be electrified, but i ought to think it through again. Nonetheless, i appreciate the input!

Maybe get a kegel core wheel then.

Get Venom Mach1 wheels. @moon bug made pulleys for them
Or caguamas

Get these later when you go full electric for sure but check ebay/classifieds for wheels in the interim. There’s loads of great wheels out there that a pulley can’t really go on but they are great to push.

Not that I push anything… I have a voluptuous physique to maintain.

1 Like