TorqueBoards DirectDrive | Unity | 12S4P 21700 40T | LY Switchblade 40

My Evolve BGT switch to Unity after the original ESC burned out got kinda out of hand and now I have a TBDD sitting in front of me, a Unity from Aliexpress in shipping (6 six days since takeoff, going for the world record flight time I suspect) and may have found a source for a hummie deck in europe

I’m kinda dead set on the hummie deck due to wanting a drop deck and no other 40" decks are in stock anywhere close to me, also the cut out is nice

For now I’m using my 97mm Abecs but will probably switch to either 107 or the 110 wheels, though needing to also get the adapters sucks

I ordered the remote from diy when I ordered the drive, but will probably replace that since the travel distance of the wheel is genuinely tiny. Any suggestions there?

Regarding the battery I want a 12S4P 21700 40T pack, are 25 amp sustained and 35 amp peak realistic?

Does anybody see a massive issue with the overall setup?

Also any tips on what Cables, connectors and adapters I should get while waiting?

1 Like

are 25 amp sustained and 35 amp peak realistic?

Assuming per cell/P-group? Based on what I know, yes that is a good rating for the 40T’s. The closer to 25A continuous you keep 'em the happier they will be.

Does anybody see a massive issue with the overall setup?

You might have to top mount the TBDD because the protective motor cans are beefy… nbd

Also any tips on what Cables, connectors and adapters I should get while waiting?

Unity is 3.5mm bullet connectors. TBDD is 5.5mm, change one of them or make/buy adapters. Additionally, the sensor plugs need adaptors too.

space will be an issue with 12s4p 40t,BMS, dual esc, unless you double stack the battery, then plenty of space

2 Likes

Coming from a GT 18650 build, so 10s4p, 80 amp, going to a 12s 100amp build should be plenty fast for me :smiley:

Yeah the overall thing is massive, it makes the 97mm wheels look so tiny. I couldn’t even do a test fit on my gt deck because the mounting hardware is too wide

I’ll look into the adapters since I’m not super great with soldering

Any advice on a good remote? The one I ordered on the diyelectric shop has too little travel on the trigger for my taste

Supposedly according to the battery builder the 145x585x35mm space in the hummie deck would leave enough space for a Charge Only BMS and the Unity

possible just tight
the cutout is 585x145x13mm so I dunno where the BMS and esc fit… or is that total not just battery?

I use the a Flipsky Vx1, the Vx2 has more throttle wheel travel. I hear the Hoyt.st puck is great too. I use metr + smartwatch so telemetry isn’t important for me.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing it materialize. The TBDD + Unity combo is an absolutely fantastic :slight_smile:

sorry thats exactly what I meant, the cutout is that size

I was quoted 46cm in length for the battery and around 4cm for the bms so that’d leave me with ~85mm

Unity is a bit shorter than that iirc

1 Like

okie dokie, should be fine

Things have escalated a bit since I originally started this thread

My unity arrived after 9 days, I soldered on 5.5mm bullet connectors I bought from eskating and tested it on a lab power supply - and it turned on.

Unfortunately I could not test anything beyond “motors and unity work” due to having broken the three red wires off the throttle in my remote. And no clue which order they are supposed to be, but then again, doesnt matter, cause I also ordered myself a Hoyt Puck. The puck is still at customs in frankfurt, waiting to be processed… oh and after ordering it from hoyt themselves, I learned that I could get it from lacroix with the Unity-to-Receiver cable that I’m missing and that hoyt couldn’t provide. Or I could have ordered one from bioboards and had no issues with customs…

Deck wise, I’ll have to change the threads name, cause there were some issues with getting enclosures for the hummie deck and nobody was sure if it would fit anyways etc etc so in the end I decided to bail on that idea and just order a Switchblade and enclosure from Alan. Who happened to have sold the last deck like 4 days before I asked him.

So I ordered what appears to be the very last SB40 for sale on earth, and it arrived two days ago. Landyachtz international shipping is expensive btw, 77 bucks.

When i saw that it genuinely was the right deck, I ordered the enclosure from Alan, and i will hopefully hold it in my hands in like 10 days.

My battery guy is in the last stages of building my 12s4p 40T pack.

So, as long as german customs clears my remote in a reasonable timeframe, customs doesn’t find the enclosure super interesting, and the battery doesn’t suddenly burst into flames before it reaches me, I should be able to ride soon.

Oh i also ordered a metr pro that should arrive soon, but that isnt all that important

Edit: Oha and almost forgot, I might have to order a new axle from Torqueboards, as one of my motor axles got loose during a push ride. They either don’t use locktite, or not enough

Oh, you’re from Germany? I could have pointed you at an EU shop that sells the 40" switchblade, and @PixelatedPolyeurthan has a 12s4p 40T battery for sale as well. Also Lacroix has an EU store where they sell the puck :laughing:

Yeah, you have to check on them every now and then. I believe most people just unscrew them, put on red loctite, and put them back again.

1 Like

Theres still a european shop that has the deck?

That would be a major surprise to me, since I thought I had contacted every shop that supposedly still had them in stock

I don’t mind the battery being new, the price is good and I like knowing that it is new new

Also given that I changed my mind like three times regarding the deck and thus how to install the battery etc I’m glad to have a guy with as much patience as Alex :slight_smile:

Regarding the axles, since I’m not a skater and it was not an issue with my evolve, I was kinda surprised to see how easy it was to loosen the axle.

https://longboard.ro/shop/engleza/catalogsearch/result/?q=switchblade&___from_store=romana

870 Romanian Lei = 180€

I got my deck from them when they had a sale for only 120€ :sunglasses:

this is literally one of my build (Soon™) lol

1 Like

Well holy crap, you are right

At least I see that they also only have the Night Chief variant left :smiley:
Then again, overall that wouldn’t have been that much cheaper, as in total I paid very close to 200€ for deck+shipping - would have been good had it been a fluke though :slight_smile:

Funny that you linked this to me now, when I made a thread specifically asking for this deck, preferably in europe, the only response I got back then was somebody suggesting that I support the community and order from eBoosted - who had just given me the bad news :smiley:

1 Like

The builds sounds awesome man but lemme just adjust u a bit more:

Regarding the:
Deck: i would highly suggest the Subsonic century as it is well known for its stance and the best part out of all is that if u have an acrobatic battery builder u can fit a 12s5p+unity in its enclosure and that’s every esk8er’s wet dream

Wheels: Dont get me wrong but driving on urethane is just like a ride to heaven but with all those thick enclosures you will scratch it on every bump, I’m talking from experience with my switchblade 40” on 97mm and it scratches everywhere. So either get the largest wheels u can get like 110 or 120 foamier or go haggy’s

Battery: as I said if u wanna get a subsonic century then I would highly suggest the Molicel p42a. I wouldn’t say much but the community swears by the p42a

Remote: I tried the both the hoyt and the vx2 and trust me the vx2 beats the Hoyt by miles

Edit: oh god… half way through writing this I realized that u ordered almost everything :sweat_smile: I’m gonna post this anyway :joy:

haha fair enough

The deck has been basically my dream deck since I started thinking about upgrading my way out of a BGT. I could have seen myself going with a switch if that had been the one that Alan builds the enclosure for but I didn’t want more drop than that. I also really like the idea of the pockets, especially the rear one

He did actually tell me that he had those subsonic decks in stock but nah, not my thing, also don’t know how I like the angled trucks

Also, Currently without the enclosure, on 97mm wheels, I have between 9 and 10cm of space between deck and ground, since I had to topmount it due to the direct drive. I do want to get the TB110 sooner rather than later, but will have to look into risers or adapting the deck a bit to make sure I don’t get wheelbite. I’m having a real hard time getting used to the idea of wheels that aren’t fully urethane, not my thing, especially since I live in germany and wanna stay kinda lowkey

The 12s4p is plenty enough for me, since I come from a 10s4p 18650 build, I do regret not taking p42s cells though :smiley: Somehow I didn’t see anything about them, until the day after my battery guy had them delivered, lol.
When I saw them on nkon I was like “okay this is the token fake cell for the vape kiddies who don’t know any better, those specs look too good”

Regarding the remote, I read mixed reviews about it and would have had to get a remote that is restricted to Unity only and who knows if the unity is all that great, if I can get a new unity if I want to replace the esc eventually etc.
I’ve heard only good things about the puck and after designing and printing a mockup to check if the overall form factor is my thing, I’m very curious to try it.

1 Like

Today the last piece of the build arrived, the eboosted enclosure.

It looks amazing, but I’m a bit surprised that it survived the transatlantic shipping while being packaged as lightly as it was. Somebody appears to know how to ship in the most efficient way it seems :slight_smile:

Following the proper install guidelines means the board will be ready to ride tomorrow, which is awesome.

Slight hickup in the plan though, while all the parts for the build itself have arrived now, I’m still waiting on a 12s charger, since apparently those are impossible to buy in germany. Aliexpress should deliver soon-ish as well but the idea of having a finished board I can’t ride sucks big time

1 Like

I’m selling a super cheap 12s charger :upside_down_face:

Price isn’t actually the important metric to me ATM, quick shipping is. Right now I’m even contemplating getting a lab power supply and just using that until the the chargers arrive. I even ordered two chargers on ali in hopes that one would arrive sooner than the other

Do you have a shop or something? What would order times to germany be like? :smiley: