Tires from Trampa on hubs from Evolve

I am dissatisfied with the stock hub and tires that came on my Evolve Bamboo GTX AT. I put a set of Trampa Urban Treadz on the stock Evolve hubs with the stock Evolve inner tubes. It took a bit of makeshift tooling to do that without getting the inner tube pinched between the two halves of the hub. Next step: what pressure to use. The stock Evolve tires are rated at 50 psi. The Urban Treadz at 85 psi. No idea what the stock hub is good for, other than at least 50 psi. So I started at 60 psi, went out for a ride, nothing exploded or collapsed. Upped it 5 psi at a time and went for a good 5+ mile ride each time. 70 psi still felt good. At 75 psi I noticed the shock of running over small stones really started transmitting through to the rider. Other than that no signs of anything changing. I will probably keep them at 75 when I fill them and let them drift down to keep from getting tossed by a pebble. I can’t decide if I should continue on to 85 psi for science or mom and apple pie, something like that.

A mountainboarder I work with told me he puts some baby powder between the inner tube and tire. He claims it reduces the friction to let the inner tube distribute more evenly. That I could buy. He also stated it reduces the heat build up when riding. That sounds … speculative.

2 Likes

Talc is good idea, it also prevents from inner tube slipping on tyre :slight_smile:

1 Like

as a dry lubricant it may just do that by preventing heat from unlubricated slippage as you ride, but its probably not doing anything as an insulator.

1 Like

Also prevents nappy rash, can confirm

2 Likes

I pumped the Treadz up to 75 this morning with Zealous Ceramics out for their second ride, hopefully broken in some. I went 16.4 miles by gps, probably 1/4 of it carving and another 1/4 running 17-18 mph down bike paths on a windy day. The rest was goofing my way through the city. I was a red light machine today. I still had three yellow bars on the board when I got home. The remote went yellow before the board did and they were both freshly charged. The higher pressure lower profile tires definitely improved the range. I’m very happy with the bearings. I pulled Reds ceramics out that were very inconsistent from day 1. The Zealous bearings with built in spacers all calipered to the same width and all spun consistently and behaved consistently when installed. Shields on both sides. $29 online.

3 Likes

I thought “I’ll just stick a tube of that stuff in my Amazon shopping cart.” $63.52 at Amazon. $6.49 at your link. But I get free shipping that I already paid for with Amazon Prime.

1 Like