this thread intentionally left blank

at my n00best of n00bdom I was convinced that motor bearings MUST be “sealed” not shielded…

now… I feel I was wrong… anyone care to discuss the matter of sealed vs. shielded bearings for esk8 motors?

5 Likes

If you ride in dusty or wet places a lot then sealed is better else go with shielded since the latter has less friction.

4 Likes

interesting…

wet places, or “corrosive atmosphere” places I’d tend to agree…
but dusty, or even normal, even normal non dusty is dusty AF on an esk8 bearing, that’s where my thinking has been altered…

in the realm of the actual, I really don’t see this affecting motor performance in the least… taken to an extreme, yes… or in a lab… yeah… but in reality you’re picking the flyshit out of pepper…

2 Likes

I don’t think you lose much by going sealed. Our motors don’t spin that fast. Sealed is totally fine.

no… that’s not where I’m going at all… I’m thinking longevity-wise

1 Like

I think sealed should last longer as their job is to keep the debris out. If they actually make it fail sooner then they aren’t doing their job very well, are they?

well I agree…

what about maintainability? keeping those buggers alive?

1 Like

Hope this helps
https://www.ibtinc.com/bearing-seals-vs-shields/

How often do you maintain your motor bearings? I just replace them when it starts making noise. I don’t re-grease them.

2 Likes

on a sealed bearing, maintaining them is nye-near impossible… on a shielded bearing an appropriately propelled wicking lubricating medium seems to add to longivity…

I agree basicly just replace them when they make noise or freel crusty.

I put as much oil as I can inside the stator between the bearings and it seeps out through the motor bearings until it’s gone. And then? I use the fuckers as long as they keep spinning. Once they stop spinning, their life is over

3 Likes

now were getting somewhere…

so Brian, you have the choice of two motors… one has sealed motor bearings, and one shielded…

everything else eggzakery the same…

your choice?

Good question. IDK, I’d probably get on esk8.news and do some searching in an attempt to answer that question

5 Likes

I shunned shielded bearings for motor bearings at first… i felt it cheep and short-sighted… but as my motor experience has grown… I feel I can make shielded bearings last longer and run more trouble free than sealed… (properly maintained)

45ac1c

3 Likes

i’m swaying your way, brother, or sister… i don’t wish to discriminate…

1 Like

Careful with your binary pronoun hate words.

3 Likes

did I discriminate?

so sorry… I hate everyone equally…

4 Likes

That’s why we love you…

3 Likes