Thinking of designing a "proper" dual receiver safety device.

I know this his a higly controverse topic here, so please stop giving me shit.

I thought about designing a PCB for “properly” implementing dual receivers.

Features could be:

• Dual receiver input
  • Comparison either on FPGA or on a Stm32
  • 2-4 Outputs (galvanically insulated? looking at you @b264 )
  • failure detection and controllable failure behaviour
  • Can communication to VESC

The second step would be building 2 transmitter/receiver pairs useing different protocols and frequencies or designing a Remote-side piggyback with a different frequency.

Would there be interest?
Any input, additional wanted features?

I think i will try to design it anyway, the interest her will maybe impact the amount of documentation i will do.

5 Likes

maybe wait until we get the freesk8 hardware to spend too much time on it

Nah dont wait for nothing. Do this for you, @flatsp0t. Blaze your own trail! I for one am interested in seeing what you come up with!

I think there is a distinct lack of hardware designed specifically for our application with safety in mind. Thats one of the things that FreeSK8 aims to address, but that doesn’t mean there is only one way to do it! Anything new with safety as a priority is good in my book :grin:

8 Likes

I kind of lost track on how far they already were. Maybe i could plan haveing compatibility with their system later on. I think there are two types of people here. Possibly the guys not even connecting their ESCs by CAN but instead useing 2 independant receivers may not be the ones to hop on the FreeSk8 Ecosystem. :wink:

3 Likes

that would be nrf52

2 Likes