"That one build he rides" and other Shitty Tech

Here’s a long overdue build thread.
This started as a while different board, been replacing parts for the passed 2 years. Deck is the final part of the old esk8 that’s being replaced.

Parts of Theseus:

• Phychotiller Enclosure (IDK which one)
  • 12s4p Samsung 30Q Battery in bypass (idk the BMS)
  • Boundmotor DD on RKP
  • Boundmotor RKP front truck
  • Boundmotor dual ESC based on 4.12 with integrated remote
  • TB110 wheels/Lazyrolling Glow wheels
  • Switchblade 38

Parts after Theseus-ification:

• eBoosted Switchblade 40 Enclosure
  • 12s4p Lishen LR2170LA with LLTBMS
  • MakerX DV6 Pro
  • TB110 or airless 150mm or InfinityHubs (150mm or 200mm) whatever kegel option I feel like for wheels
  • BN270 trucks in 45/15 split angle
  • BNM1 gear drive in 2.78:1 with kegel adapters for all my wheels
  • LY Switchblade 40 (Pinecone)
  • rubber, butyl tape, silicone, melted filament and general waterproofing
  • Metr.Pro
  • Unfancy Remote with 2.4Ghz Mini in a printed shell as a backup

The internals as there are right now, post Theseus-ification:

• 12s4p Lishen LR2170LA
  • LLT 20A BMS bypassed discharge
  • Maker-X DV6 Pro
  • VX2 (will eventually be an !Fancy by @thunkar
  • XT90S for discharge and XT60 for charge port (GX16-3)
  • foam.
  • 5mm bullets for motors.
  • a Switchblade 38/40 enclosure from the god of enclosures himself @eBoosted
  • straight cut M1 gear drives 2.78:1 from the amazing @Boardnamics
  • and his awesome 270mm trucks with 10mm shafts and adjustable baseplates in split angle (45/15)

Parts I still need to install:

• antispark switch or loopkey
  • charge port fuse (have one on the way)
  • buck converter for 24V on the discharge on the BMS (routed to XT60 on front of enclosure)
  • TTL if I can fit it
  • SF8 and MR60 connectors in a 3d printed mount for motor disconnection
  • I’d like to bump this up to 5p or 6p but I think I might need to topmount my ESC/electronics and rethink my wiring for that to happen.

Just cleaning up the old gasket to install new waterproofing before proceeding with the holes.

New wood:

Issa switchblade 40 (pinecone)
Dang living less than 30 minutes from the LY factory is awesome.

Mapping the holes. Clamping it down. Had to pull the trucks out a little from their distance for the SB 38

Butyl tape:

For deck side sealing.

Marking and drilling pilot holes for threaded inserts.

Ugh threaded inserts fuck:

Trying tod have as little butyl spilling out as possible, things are tricky with the motors unable to disconnect from the enclosure currently:

Rubber sheet:

So deck is mounted… Backwards. Threaded inserts work well and don’t look bad. At least not showing through the top.

Waterproofing still leaves a lot to be desired. Might have to get some window seal or something. New plugs and printed mounts are also necessary for sealing.

13 Likes

I can hear the faint sarcasm through the screen. Yes I I’ve been putting this off far too long. I really owe this thread to both myself and the community. Time to pay back all the free help I got from this forum with some free documentation and logging.

As a bonus now I can just link this thread instead of reciting my board details to every brain I ask for help.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve yet to do a build thread lol. But similarly re-building a board that I bought when the pandemic started.

1 Like

AAAH-hem… {Clears throat}

4 Likes

Motor panel connectors being installed tomorrow!
$20 per connector for SF8 but it should end up really nice.

8 Likes

Lordy lmao

They do look really slick though

1 Like

Wired up the VESC for panel mounted connectors. Might add bullets between the VESC and the panel mount later idk.

Now to re-sleeve and add connectors to my motors.

4 Likes

1 Like

Super curious how those weipu connectors will stand up to road vibrations.

Looking good :+1:

4 Likes

Same, I like how shallow the backside is, they seem really compact

2 Likes

The panel mount is super low profile, probably because it sticks outside like 4mm

The plug on the motor is what I’m worried about, it’ll stick out of my enclosure a good 12-15mm

3 Likes

JB welding 3D printed mounts in place. Once this cures I’ll silicone in the MR60 from the backside and waterproof the ports. after ports are installed the outside will be masked off and the whole thing covered in bedliner.

And here’s the final wiring diagram:

2 Likes

so I’ve been having weird issues. been beating my head about this for 2 days now.

so everything worked perfectly fine, one of the sensor ports broke free and the wires tore off, NBD I can fix it but things worked fine because the other motor had sensors still

remote had an issue and fried, opened the sace to re-pair the remote.

this is where it gets weird. the motors wouldn;t spin at all after doing app setup.

did motor detection, seemed fine, wizard passed successfully.

motors made a horrible noise and wouldn’t spin when either using the keyboard or the remote

detection will either say “bad result” or “flux linkage detection failed”

hand tested motors and both seemed perfectly fine.

did continuity test between MR60 and ESC, all 6 phase wires had continuity and none of the phases were shorted anywhere in the chain.

swapped sides between all of this back and forth to test each esc side, still happened

swapped the DV6Pro to a D75, exact same weirdness

idfk what’s happening, I’ve done everything but refresh the firmware and fix 1/2 sensor ports AFAIK. the D75 is on the FW it shipped with (5.3). the DV6+ is on 5.3

currents and voltages are all set correctly… I’m at such a loss here. it worked fine before I needed to fix the remote…

1 Like

the connectors stood up great, the 3d printed mount not so much,

the one connector that tore out took the panel connector with it and it stuck in even after a good 25km of riding just dangling and banging around.

deffinitely using these again, but I need a better mount for them.

the one that’s still on the board is still going strong, had no issues with the connector it’s self at all, besies it being a bit tricky to see the tiny red dot for orientation

this is seriously driving my crazy. I have a handfull of VESCs here and motors trying to diagnose this, seems to be only a problem on both Maker-X VESCs and on anything I solder today.

maybe new solder will fix this?

Shot in the dark but maybe your battery is empty, and that’s why the motors won’t spin?

Do they spin if you turn on the keyboard control button on the right side of vesc tool and press the arrow keys?

Battery isn’t empty but isn’t full, it’s at about 85%

After testing the motors work fine on a vesc4 I have, it seems to be isolated to the Maker-X VESCs somehow (both of them including the DV6 that previously worked flawlessly)

And now the D75 is only showing one VESC on metr instead of both, and VESCtool started giving me “both VESCs bust have the same firmware” errors even though I haven’t touched the firmware on this VESC

Definitely sounds like an ESC issue then. On FW 5.3 when you redo motor detection there’s an option to wipe ESC settings, if that doesn’t work then I would reflash firmware i guess; just be careful to use the right one.

AFAIK this is the only thing I haven’t tried yet. Shouldn’t be necessary though as this is factory FW and this thing is less than a couple months old.

I’m trying too avoid touching the alegedly “good” FW until it’s the last thing to try. by all rights this VESC should work just fine and I shouldn’t need to swap back to the DV6 or use a couple vesc4 singles. I just need to figure out where the issue is happening.

It can go corrupt for who knows why. I’ve had a stormcore loses it settings mid ride for someone.

If flashing firmware is problematic that’s a manufacture defect and not a feature :melting_face: