The Step Bro - A Largely 3d Printed Build - COMPLETE!

Aussie slang is the best and I love this 3D printed form

2 Likes

Was busy slaying semendeeds all weekend but didn’t forget about the step bro. The p1p has been toiling away almost non stop pumping out around 50 grams per hour.

Half of the top mold is done and I think i’ll get away with just one more roll of filament, so that had been ordered.

9 Likes

Getting super close now but had my first print failure last night :expressionless: the printer said it had finished successfully, but the spool was tangled so it must have just gone through the motions without delivering any filament :expressionless: hopefully nothing else bad has come of it.

That was the second last piece. On the printer again now, still on track to finish today!

7 Likes

It’s finished! Just over a week of pretty much flat out printing. Just shy of 7kg filament :hot_face: really hope this works, that’s like $250 worth :sweat_smile:

Enough filament left over for a good sized fire engine red dickasaurus as well! I wish there was some awesome use for these filament rolls though :expressionless:

It feels very big. Would be interesting to have a haero here to compare. I realised when I was standing on it that I neglected to include the fucking binding hole locations in the mold. Dick head.

Will work on getting this built into an actual real life mold in the coming days :partying_face:

13 Likes

Yep. Checks out.

4 Likes

I fancy the idea of a longer Bro to try. See if it would make a difference being tall.

4 Likes

There is! There’s screw organisers etc you can print and turn those drums into something useful if you want. My local recycling centre takes them in so that’s what I tend to do with them tbh.

1 Like

So you’re only print failure on the bambu is something not related to the printer at all :joy: love the p1p

3 Likes

Got the bottom half of the mold together and started working on the top but ran out of daylight.

Got the big timber block assembled to fill in the big void in the top mold, just gotta tidy that up a bit with the belt sander and then attach the whole top together.

After that i’m gonna need to build in some sort of registration so the two parts close together perfectly, that’s one thing that’s missing from the semendeed mold and it can be a bit of a pain.

Then I just need to pray that I have enough height in my press :rofl: i think i’ll be ok. Worst case scenario i’ll need to swap out the timber plates i’ve got in it for some ply.

10 Likes

Ooooh baby! It’s done!!!

There was quite a lot of work involved, definitely not just as simple as design/print/done. Pretty stoked with it as a mold building method though.

It’s definitely gonna fit in the press, so no dramas there. Just gotta hope it holds up under pressure!!!

Added a couple of dowels in each end to register the two halves of the mold and make sure they are in the right position before pressing, hopefully they work out ok.

Once the foamy glue cures it’ll be ready for a little tidy up with the sander and then good to go! Got some shit I need to get done in the shed over the next few days, so the first press gonna need to wait til the weekend… pretty excited for it tho!

19 Likes

you had me hooked at bambu

1 Like

I was meant to press the deck today, but i didn’t have enough glue and i wanted to work on Frankendick instead. Will get glue tomorrow and press tomorrow night .

Not convinced that the registration pins are going to work very well, but only one way to find out really.

Looks like I’m gonna have plenty of room in the press, so happy about that.

I’ve decided to go for a 16s4p battery in the undermount enclosure and a 16s2p battery in the top with the esc.

Ordered my SKP Solo from @Skyart and have more cells coming next week.

Gonna be a bit before I can afford the Apex gear tho, gotta try and hustle some battery builds

12 Likes

It’s in and under full pressure and it didn’t explode!!

No funny noises or cracks or anything, was pretty smooth sailing! The registration pins get the two halves in the ballpark, but still needed some tweaking as the press closed up.

I laid up the deck in the same layup as the semendeeds, 7 hoop pine veneers and 2 hardwood veneers, will see how that goes. Gonna be glassing both sides as well, i just hope it doesn’t end up crazy stiff.

Excited to pull it out tomorrow :partying_face:

33 Likes

Following. Looks awesome

1 Like

Quick update… 3dp molds work and they are awesome.

27 Likes

Lasagna was to tough to chew, 1/5 stars, would not visit again

6 Likes

Tasted like wood :weary:

3 Likes

I’m finally ready to buy the @ApexBoards gear for the drivetrain.

I’m trying to decide whether I want 8 inch or 9 inch wheels as it will determine the kv of the motors I choose.

anyone with an mtb and extensive experience on 8 and 9 inch care to chime in with some advice?

also if 9 is a go, what are some good tire options?

5 Likes

If you’re gonna go jumping / ride on nice dirt roads that people actively maintain, 8".

If you’re gonna explore forests with tree roots, ride over fields of grass and other nature debris, 9" FTW. For my forest trails 9" was a must

8 Likes

I know @Andy87 and @ShutterShock have got some miles on both tire sizes they could maybe chime in. Im also still interested in trying 9 inch one day, but not sure its really worth it for where I ride 90% of the time, people say 9 inch is less snappy/responsive and I really like that on my current setup.

5 Likes