The Step Bro - A Largely 3d Printed Build - COMPLETE!

***EDIT: *** THIS BUILD IS NOW COMPLETE!!! Summary below followed by original post in it’s entirety. Plus here are the CAD files for the entire project for you to enjoy
step bro.step (1.8 MB)
step bro.f3d (38.4 MB)

Step Bro

Deck: DIY split angle 35/30 MTB deck - hoop pine, iron bark, basalt, carbon and fibreglass

Enclosures: DIY 3d printed PETG with aluminium lids

Drivetrain: Apex Air trucks with Apex Jump Drives running 140kv 6384 Apex motors. MBS Fivestars and 9 inch tires

Battery: 16s6p P42a, split in two. 16s4p below deck, 16s2p on top. Sharing the same JBD smart bms in the top box.

ESC: SKP Solos with built in metr module for telemetry

Remote: Currently running Hoyt puck with +20% expo, but have a thumbwheel z-mote on order

Accessories: DIY 3d printed TPU stomp pads with MBS F5 bindings and heel straps.
Big Beems headlights and C8 tail light from PEV Components
DIY 3d printed PETG handles front and back

Power settings per motor:

Current mode
Motor Amps: 100A
Motor Brakes: -70A
Battery Amps: 60
Battery Regen: -50

Original post below

Righto cocks! I could be jumping the gun starting another build before I’ve finished the current one, but fuck it, I’m excited.

The plan is for a single stack undermount battery, with more battery and electronics in a top box.

I wanna press my own deck, because I can, and the design is pretty closely borrowed from the Haero Bro, just a little bit bigger. @bboybowzer suggested the name Step Bro and it’s super fitting considering that this project is starting from CAD files.

The undermount enclosure is just gonna be 3dp walls with a 3mm aluminium plate as the base, i’ve been keen to try this for a while but the only thing stopping me was not having a good CAD model of the bottom surface of a deck i’ve wanted to use.

The enclosure sections are joined with these little TPU joiners for some flex. The walls are petg.

The mold will be almost entirely 3d printed, with some timber to take up space and lock it all together. I’ve ordered 4kg of fire engine red PLA+ to get it done, it should arrive tomorrow.

Super excited about this build, but need to save some pennies to afford some @ApexBoards gear for the drive train!

52 Likes

Sounds like a dope build bro.

5 Likes

The TPU connectors are a clever move. Have you printed with TPU before?

4 Likes

Looks sweet. Eager to see how all the 3dp stuff works out long term…

3 Likes

the man eats TPU for breakfast (is that what australians eat?)

3 Likes

I have printed a little tpu before and always struggled with it, but the bambu prints it like a champ straight off the bat!

All of the 3dp parts will be under compression, so I’m sure they’ll be fine!

3 Likes

You really go all in on your builds! Looks amazing!

4 Likes

What will the bottom plates for the enclosures be?

Neat project dude

4 Likes

3mm aluminium, got heaps laying around that i scavenged from a construction site :ok_hand:

3 Likes

So damn jealous, that’s a great find

3 Likes

You totally stole this from my head…

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to do it for years! Ever since i printed my first evolve gasket

3 Likes

You are the Future Man after all!!!

5 Likes

Great if you design it right and use it right lol

Looking forward to seeing this build come together

5 Likes

Shit yeah Al :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

I love this can’t wait to see more

3 Likes

How many of these decks and enclosures are you going to run if this trial goes well?

Starts on parrt list…

3 Likes

This is a passion project, there are zero plans to produce any more than one of these.

But… money talks.

7 Likes

Closely following this project

4 Likes

Stole from work…:rofl:

2 Likes