The Prince | 12s10p flight-safe Idea deck build

Well that’s awkward, just went out on a ride and the board only hit 43 km/h. Granted I wasn’t fully charged, but on 50% battery that’s way too low. I wonder if I’ve been given 150kv motors or something by accident :thinking:

Or my conservative duty cycle current limit start setting of 80% is to blame…

I guess switching to 190kv motors is a must. (Currently using 170kv I believe)

Also, the wheels at the rear sit awfully close to my feet. And I’m not sure if I like the trucks yet, might have to switch to krank bushings. Possibly tire balance is to blame. Worst case get a different drivetrain :confused:

3 Likes

Charged up fully unloaded it’s 50km/h but loaded only 46 km/h. Trucks haven’t killed me yet, so that’s good. What’s strange is that carving feels strange, switching from side to side the back truck does a small wobble back and forth as if it’s making up its mind still. Definitely not confidence inducing. Bushing swap it is.

I might have to lower the tire pressure as well to decrease the current bounciness. Currently at 4 bar I’m getting 23Wh/km, which would be around 48km of theoretical range from the planned 1123Wh nominal pack.

6 Likes

Put a purple tall cone and barrel (93a Krank) in the rear and a green tall cone and barrel (90a Krank) at the front.

Trucks definitely feel a lot nicer now. The rear truck wobble is gone. And I actually feel somewhat confident riding the board. However I do feel less comfortable on this setup than when it was urethane, and the return to center is super strong, especially in the rear. If this setup still works when I switch to 190kv then it will be what I ride, but after Carve I might experiment with Riptide WFB bushings to get rid of some of that self-centering rebound.

Btw, I have the rear pretty tight to avoid accidental shoe bite, so as a result my turning radius is only slightly better than it was on RKP. So much for TKP magic, lol.

11 Likes

If your turning isn’t how you like, I recommend taking that cupped washer that’s street side and replacing it with a flat washer

7 Likes

You can also just flip the roadside cup washer for the same effect

4 Likes

Umm, you told us you were gonna use them to store a bunch of Serenade candies

17 Likes

Awesome work!

Maybe fill the holes where the battery leads come out with silicone or epoxy to keep them from ever rubbing on the metal there.

Cant wait to meet you my sweet little Raisin

4 Likes

The battery case is all plastic, but good point, I think I’ll do that.

Can’t wait to meet you too! :smiley:

3 Likes

Wait until you get your new ones! I sent them to Jackson yesterday.
(Are those HeXL’s?)

6 Likes

They are! Tbf a tight turning radius isn’t what I’m looking for on this particular build, just an observation.

1 Like

Progress update:

Spent Friday evening and Saturday cutting nickel, chopping corners, gluing cells and welding them. Learned an important lesson to not put too much pressure on the weld probes – the welds don’t stick at all then lol

(I had to scrap these cells)

7 packs (14 rows) welded, 4 more to go. (If my battery and welder didn’t heat up I could do them all at once, so I’ve been tactically welding 2 groups and then letting it cool.) Then comes dremeling the cases and all the soldering. Not sure how much of that I’ll do tomorrow though, as I have an event I’m organizing next week I should prepare for.

3 Likes

Btw shoutout @Simeon for the corner chomper recommendation, definitely paid off :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Thought I’d give some updates.

Over the weekend I dremeled all the cases and soldered all the additional nickel strips. This took an hour per pack.

I also disassembled my gear drives so that I could swap them to 190kv motors. I applied a bit too much green theradlocker, because it was really tough to get the motors off. Now my pinions are oil slick :sweat_smile:

My 190kv motors need bullets replaced and wires extended, and with the cans now a bit damaged from me hammering the motors out, I didn’t want to use the motors I had. Paid the big bucks and bought 2 190kv 6384 Flipsky motors from Apex. Should arrive tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

I’ll use less threadlocker this time round. In case I have a gear break I want to be able to swap to belt drive without much pain. After Carve I will probably switch to Hoyt’s Rosa trucks because I need more width for my big feet. Or maybe Fatboy 270mm RKPs, not sure. The current 8mm truck axle scares me.

@jack.luis Would newbee’s hubs fit on the Rosa trucks you think? I dig their look.

Anyway, back to the present. Didn’t get as much done as I wanted because my friends wanted me to join for video games, but I started soldering the wires for the packs. At first it took me 1h per pack, but after a while I got it down to 40min per pack. 7 packs done, 5 more to go :slight_smile:

17 Likes

dammit i was just about to start making a progress thread for my packs :joy:

3 Likes

Also, a 200IQ move I’m going to do –
My mountainboard uses 140kv Flipsky motors, which have extensions soldered to them. Want to keep them. They have a cut shaft.

But the motors arriving from Apex are the perfect length for their jump drives + have the additional circlip groove at the end. So what I can do is swap the cans between the motors, and then I won’t need green threadlocker when assembling my jump drives :partying_face:

(Will just be a bit awkard having a motor can that says 190kv on it when the stator is really 140kv :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

You have 1.5x more packs than I do, prepare yourself for the time sink! :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t see why not

axle space for pulleys + a big hub would be my concern, the Hoyt 7" wheels look pretty thin. But I guess the hubs are offset, so it should work :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

i plan to finish galf my packs today ish, half this weekend :face_with_peeking_eye:

newbee hub have the same axle footprint as mbs hubs. same bearing spacing and everything

1 Like