[the painkiller] | 4WD | 12s28p 50G 6kwh | redember 44" | VESC HD60 | 6385 173kv | remote gt2e | 3Ds FatBoy GD helical 1:3 | flexiBMS

absolutely correct :smiley: theyā€™re like 4mm short. about 12mm is in contact with the pinion.

3 Likes

second part of fun yesterday.

Iā€™ve started assembling the hubs and the wheels to find out if everything fits.

so, assembling the wheels is absolute pain :smiley: so many screws! and I did only 3 on the hubs, and two on the connection. canā€™t imagine myself handling all 10 while changing tire in any kind of rush.

and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve been doing the assembly correctly, but this seems correct order:

1. screw the hub together, not all the way, the bearing spacer must not be stuck or forgotten
  2. put it on axle, do not forget the bearing spacer
  3. tighten axle nut
  4. take it all off
  5. properly tighten all the hub assembly screws
  6. put in once again on the axle
  7. screw inner hub to the gear, do not forget spacer
  8. add the axle nut

it seems that screw from inner hub to wants some kind of retention inside the wheel gear. should this be loctited? or not? feels like it should

and then there is the thing with the screw and the nut on the hub assembly. because nilon nuts are present, it seems this is the designed point of disassembly. but how do you hold the nut in place when you change a tire in the woods?

@3DServisas is there some trick or intended order of operations, or is it just designed for something else than user experience?

making some kind of nut holder seems absolute must here.

and this spacer :smiley: if I have not taken picture of this while initial disassembly, I would not have clue what is the correct orientation

now, when all our drives were finished, I discovered small slack in two diagonal drives (front right, rear left) - these have about 1mm free motion while twisting. the other two drives feel stiff, there is no slack at all.
could this be because of some differences in the gears? I disassembled all four, mixed all the parts, discovered that yellow wheel gear it different (two distinct shades of yellow), then assembled everything

here is a video of this, when you bump up the volume, you can hear it https://youtu.be/Qk5cpT48H44

feels so nice :smiley: when I put it on the floor, the first thing that came to mind was that this will shred. likeā€¦ a lot.

now, will 8" tires fit? or 9"? :smiley: :smiley:

11 Likes

You wouldnā€™t want to assemble other kind of wheel hubsā€¦ They can have 5 parts of the wheel that you need to keep together while tightening with no nut slots.

Regarding the bearing spacer, basic logic applies: Inside thereā€™s a big bearing, the wheel is a small bearing. What side the spacer goes in? Also the orientation is shown in the store.

Regarding the ā€œslackā€, please, assemble and tighten the wheels first, it can be seen in the video that the hub is slacking on the screws. The sound is metal, too.

The products are already provided almost assembled. I am not angry, I am just disappointed.

2 Likes

Dad?

16 Likes

DV6 is the best ESC we have ever made.
If you buy 2, I made you a discount.

Got it now :slight_smile:

And that is awesome! The truck assembly is great to have preassembled! Iā€™m just wondering how are you changing the tires yourself. Do you change the whole wheel with hub? Or do you split the hub and then change only the tire?

1 Like

You can do either way. If your money allows, you can carry whole spare wheels. If it doesnā€™t then full disassembly is what awaits you. You can also try to replace the tube through the valve hole or bring it to a tyre changing place. :smiley:

1 Like

Shit, ok :smiley: so Iā€™ll have to create something additional to help me with that

May you let me know the drawbacks of the motors except the short shaft?

KR and thx very much

unable to disassemble or maintenance

ah ok thx so they better keep on working :slight_smile:

In my opinion a good mental exercise I use in regards to spending money in ESK8 builds or Buying completes from Manufacturers is the Motorcycle analogy.
If I were to buy a solid brand new motorcycle which is far more extreme then any Esk8 then I would at least need $8,000 for a brand new one on the upper scale, or $25,000 on the ultra scale ie. Ducati.
Therefore an extreme 4WD build like this one is peanuts and should be encouraged considering we are not spending rent or mortgage money, or a college student wasting school money.

Looking forward to your finished build @michondr , no shame just inspiration.

6 Likes

I am hearing very good things in this forum and elsewhere that back the Trampa ESC with the most Quality / Reliability. Canā€™t disclose who but they are putting their boards through rigorous conditions and partly sponsored, therefore money is no object when it comes to safety especially over 30mph on public roads.

2 Likes

exactly true!

Iā€™ve recently finalized all my expences on esk8, and I must say that I never imagined Iā€™d be willing to pour so much money and effort into it. Iā€™m currently focusing on doing it the safe way, because if I damage my body, I wont be able to raise the money to fund what I loveā€¦ and nothing else

nonetheless, things are moving again.

my batteries are currently in prague, only needing to be picked up. then I can start spotwelding them.
Trampa order is on its way, with the pair of HD VESC and 8" tires.

there is so much money just laying around not being finished. I must speed this up, to use what Iā€™ve started so long ago.
funny is, that when planning this board, I could be on of the few riding 4WD with immense range and safety. 4wd gear driven builds were not a thing 1.5 years ago. and now many people are jumping on the band wagon.

^ this is how I feel atm :smiley:

partially, Iā€™m waiting for others to figure out what is good and bad, to take the risk and do the ā€œearly adoptingā€, and partially Iā€™m waiting for deals that make sence for me.

nonetheless, the trains is leaving now. now Iā€™m just waisting time, it needs to be done. otherwise others will build way better machines. people in CZE are just starting building 12s17p or 16S22P 50G packs. Iā€™m not on the top of the food chain anymore :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow those are huge packs, I am guessing those huge batteries are used in Large mountain board decks and 2WD right ?

Wow !

1 Like

well, not really :smiley: both guys are currently on 4wd :smiley: the one with 16s22p ( @Knedlman ) is usually riding with uniwheelers or scooters, the other one (@Esk8_Spirit ) upgraded from 12s12p 30q and is riding 60-75kph in streets of prague. something incredible, but maybe too much for my taste.

weā€™re pushing the hobby further and further, making it better and better for us

3 Likes

so, few things appeared here. will be 12s28p. at first I planned to do 4 stack, but than I noticed that the heights is actually lower when the cells are standing. not mentioning waaaay easier welding process

no clue where the HDā€™s will go though :smiley: not much space is left :smiley:

@Trampa is 1m CAN connection fine?

12 Likes

You got any more of those motors?

nn, I used my two spares today for my trampa - bearing in one sk3 chose to fall apart

Damn, alright