[the painkiller] | 4WD | 12s28p 50G 6kwh | redember 44" | VESC HD60 | 6385 173kv | remote gt2e | 3Ds FatBoy GD helical 1:3 | flexiBMS

I can also atest to this, i rode both hd60t and the hd singles and gotten tons of drv faults for seemingly no real reason and went back and forth with trampa about it to no avail. So id definitely recommend u be careful with ur hds while riding.

2 Likes

Hard to say what the actual problem is, might be a solder issue, might be power layout issue, might be more sensitive to transients in general. not sure

All I know is that the DRV on the hd’s have shown some troubles, not as bad as the old 4.x version but not equal to the reliability of vesc6.

3 Likes

well, did you think this build is dead? I thought the same couple of times. but not anymore!

in the past week I wanted to finish everything for our Prague ride (~50 riders), so I can finally flex with this stiff mothafucka after 2 years the works :smiley:

so, about the calibration I posted before - that was the last time I made a successful calibration (until yesterday). I dont recall the exact version that was preloaded on the HD60s, something like 5.1.

updated straight to 6, could not run detection
updated to 5.3, ran detection but motors screamed on direction setup
updated to 5.2, ran detection but motors screamed on direction setup

spent like 4 hours running detection on separated vescs, reflashing FW, with the same results. yesterday tried meter detection, ran almost flawlessly, so I stuck with that. had to run one vesc a second time, because the first try failed. nonetheless, I had runing all 4 motors.

calibrated for PPM, and tried full throttle. 3 motors started cutting power, stopping and starting again. with traction controll off, this seemed eliminated. also had to step down to 60A from trampas default 80A.

with TC off, full throttle and full breaks with no load still produce overcurrent errors, I’m kinda scared of that :confused:

so, dont know what to do next. I’d like to go to 100A per motor, but the DRV errors without load scare the shit out of me. and the TC is the same. had anybody had similar issues?

(btw, absolute max current is set to 120A, trampa states that the max is 160A, so can I set it higher?)

to the ride part - had to join couple of hours later, tried to put as much juice in the battery as fast as possible, so 25A bypassed the BMS, started with 34% and finisned with 5% after 48km. not bad :smiley: Mar 26, 2022 - metr.at | 3CMiF

some remaining build pictures

front is a bit more cluterred:

back has sope space left:

todo

• get some holders
    • it weighs 46kg (:exploding_head:), and I need to drag it 2.5 floors. will need some painkillers for this painkiller, if I dont come up with some comfortable system to move it
  • get harder bushings
    • I currently have the stock 3ds bushings, tightened to death. it cant turn, and it is still flimsy to ride fast
  • adjust truck angles
    • dont know yet how exactly, but I’ll have to do something with the adjustable 3ds baseplates when I already have them
  • add davega
    • it did not connect with uart enabled and correct baudrate set, SW is at prehistoric v1.3.0, so first idea of @janpom is to flash it to v5.1. there is an installer for mac/win, I’ll need something for linux
  • add LEDs
    • there is stil some room in the back, so it seems I’ll be able to fit a LED driver, a stepdown and some aditional wiring. there are slots in the 3dprint for the strips, so it should not be such a pain to fit it all inside
  • usb myself
    • add a usb-c port to the board, so that I can pass a wire through my clothes to power headlights on the helmet, the camera, and some heating for colder days. will be very nice to ditch the powebank in jackets

riding characteristics

its a tank, great in some aspects, bad in others. having half the bodyweight under your legs has some benefits - you can change stance easily, dancewalk while waiting, because the board will go nowhere. it’s almost like standing on solid ground

with tires on 25PSI, small coblestone is like a feather. I’m used to the same pressure in the same tires on my trampa, but this is smoother.

on the other hand, any biger bumps are very bad, the deck has no flex, compensates nothing, the trucks are heavy as hell and flap around. due to this I rarely went over 50kph. I hope this will get better with stronger bushings, but I somehow feel that the construction of caliber businging seat/assembly is designed for different loads, and this setup would be much better on eg. finallity trucks.

so it seems, that I still have some SW and mechanical stuff to solve. help in the SW sould be much appreciated guys!

16 Likes

Well the DRV errors might just be the ESC’s fault, if Linsus says so.

Yes, set it to 160A. That setting determines when you get overcurrent faults, so you usually want it to be the max the ESC can handle.

Also, stay with FW 5.2 please, unless Trampa tells you otherwise. 5.3 is giving a lot of people issues…

3 Likes

Few pieces of advice i have to u to try and improve ur
endurance board setup to make it a bit better.

1. Set ur truck angles to 45 - 40° in the front and 35 - 30° (the lowest angle 3ds plates can go in the rear) on rear to help fix sketchiness while riding at speed.

2. Get Riptide Krank 93-95a chubby street size bushings for boardside then aps 95a chubby roadside for rear truck and same boardside chubby in the front but then do aps 90a chubby or fatcone roadside for front truck.

With that combination u should be able to steer alot more comfortably and have good stability.

1. With trampa hd vescs ur not gonna get quad 100a motor current out of them they dont support that much current, im currently running quad 100a motor on my 4wd setup but i use xeniths (v1) with no hw limit. I could probably get away with maybe 110a if i wanted to. But yea ur escs are definitely a bottleneck since no fw change will allow u to get said current so ur best bet atm is to stick with quad 80a til u can do either 4wd stormcores so u can run quad 100a motor without issue. U could also try uboxes but i dont really trust them enough to recommend them to others, ik for sure ud have much better luck with stormcores.

2. Since ur on rkp with a 100lb+ board, any bump or impact is gonna feel like shit no way around it, since ur on a fixed pivot point with rkp it doesnt dampen any sort of vibrations while riding. So the best thing to do here if u want a more comfortable riding experience is changing trucks now since ur riding a longboard deck ur fucked on swapping to trampa vertigos or apex airs unless u make a custom baseplate wedge similar to ur custom enclosure that will allow u to mount mtb trucks onto a longboard deck. No i dont suggest doin 3ds longboard to mtb truck baseplate adapter since that would add alot of ride height to the board unless u need the extra ride height for undertray clearance. And even on lower weight boards rkp is just not the best kingpin type when it comes to street riding on any and all street conditions, very much like riding thane wheels rkp is best on smooth roads or tracks.

Oh and two more things, add another anti sink plate for ur rear truck hanger and buy a stair ramp so u can use to just roll the board up and down stairs, that would make ur live alot easier. I got a friend who has a endurance board similar weight to urs, his is 80lbs and its a bit of a sucker to carry as well its not unbearable but it is something at times XD.

2 Likes

You should hire some sherpas. :slight_smile:

Regarding trucks, have a look at Savage1 TKP Trucks

They could be a good fit for this board as they are very robust. You can also test mine next Saturday in Pitland if you’re coming.

5 Likes

We gotta wake this thread up, wheres da logs and clips of you riding painkiller @michondr ive been itching to see ur range results while doing X speed consistently.

2 Likes

No way, trampa vescs are bullet proof!

2 Likes

they (quite literally) really missed the mark on this one :smile:
( I get your dig though, and shall take it into my purchasing consideration )

1 Like

If you put a heatsink on the esc it’ll certainly be bulletproof. Aluminum can defo stop a bullet. Maybe I should line my backpack with infinitysinks for next time I go to school :rofl:

1 Like

28p lol… I’m disappointed son for not going 50p straight. :sunglasses:

so 46 kg that`s over 100lbs… a crazy build I’m impressed.

1 Like

well guys, I’ve had exactly one full ride in march (Mar 26, 2022 - metr.at | 3CMiF). started with 30% charge and did over 50km. it was nice.

few days after I charged to full, and one of the HDs died when I pulled the trigger (Mar 29, 2022 - metr.at | Jqw3v). I just remember the feeling of falling to the right and the board going to the left under some cars. so the failed HD60 went to trampa, and I should receive it sometimes this week.

however, this is really heavy build. I suppose that I’ll ride it a couple of times this summer, and then sell it to somebody who has an elevator to get to his apparment :smiley:

5 Likes

aww ur gonna sell her bummer :frowning:

Goddamn this build :open_mouth:. You need some tank treads on this thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just get a more appropriate apartment for the board! You can’t sell it after all the effort!

8 Likes

or house, but yea feels like a waste for all the time u put into to try and sell it, thats ur baby

What’s the final weight?

shit, I cannot find the image :smiley: but I’ve written it in a recent post - 46kg

2 Likes

up!

another update! got back from norway, tomorrow picking up the hd60 @Trampa sent me. hoping for some luck winding this together on a software level. last time was pain to calibrate. and, well, was also unable to run on 12S

I need to move out into a new space, and would rather appreciate this being in one piece :smiley: (also, three more subjects in the picture)

5 Likes

I’m getting tired of opening and closing this board :smiley: the construction is rock solid, but pain to put together :smiley:

at least I updated my ancient davega from v1.3.0 and gave this board a face

I did new calibration. the new hd60 feels solid, however the old one has some issues. I tried swapping motors on this one (vesc ID 111 and 116), and it started returning correct data. what the heck… apart from the same results on 116. how is that possible?

I tried rolling in my room from one side to the other, and noticed that sometimes one motor has problems listening to go to reverse (running hyst) and takes fraction of a second to respond like the other three.

has anybody tried testing boards under load before real use? like on a threadmill or something. essentially duplicating a dyno for cars. I’d like to have more confidence before going in the streets

3 Likes