The "I keep breaking shit" Corner - Workshop journal

When I saw the title I thought oh my god. Did somebody make something for me? A special place? Hahaha

5 Likes

this is a safe haven where you can break things in such away that people will ask how tf did you break it that badly XD

well there is some building that goes on. mainly breaking shit :))

1 Like

How did you break that motor that badly?

well from the two motor i got neither lasted a full year.
first one had magnets come loose and can break off (in the post before last )
the second the magnets were coming loose and can falling apart. the bearing then collapsed causing a full lock up and can rammed into the stator. i believe traction control caused the burnt windings but unsure.

i run my boards >120miles a week, they don’t get an easy life like most
personally flipsky motors are now on the bottom of my list of motors

1 Like

Which motors do you use in the same manner which are surviving better?

2 Likes

turnigy sk3 there senorless but pretty bomb proof

Weird. I’ve had the opposite with them. And weak as piss.

2 Likes

i’ve cooked the stator of one from a rc esc failing and broke a shaft on another from a mount loosening.
what bust on yours?

I found them to be way underpowered and heated up unacceptably off-road.
Are you saying you did 6000 miles in a year in the wet on the Apex/flipsky motors?

i have noticed this a little. but jens noted this on the other forum with his leopard motors. as for heat i haven’t found much difference in outrunners.

~4500 miles due to board down time and riding another when the ice and snow hit (about half and half wet and dry)

I can’t imagine any motors were using to last that long without any bearing maintenance

3 Likes

i believe it may have been a bad bearing as there would be a frequency at about 10-15mph (same speed the bearing collapsed). my wheel bearings on the same board haven’t needed replacing/ running as close to new

1 Like

This is for @Shadowfax
I machined down and hardened some 12tooth mod 1.5 gears to use on my sk3

Now running
190kv 1:4.89 mod2 and
192kv 1:4.91 mod 1.5
This is what a steel to pom gear looks like after ~4500mile greased riding

3 Likes

This is awesome. It doesnt look like there is a key in there. Did you run just a set screw and it held for 4,500 miles?

2 Likes

I’m surprised this isn’t happening more often. To me, the 8mm and 10mm is a leftover from the skateboards from the 1980s… I’m using 16mm axles but it requires custom wheels to house the larger bearings. But if you can CNC aluminum you can go with all sorts of larger axle options.

the 4500 miles were done on a keyed pinion.
i did 40 miles on a pinion held solely on 638 bondloc
and the mod 1.5 gears are just running a set screw and 638

1 Like

sooo, moon drive board is out of action awaiting on some gears to run big motors, very excited.
but i contacted mr @Archer and he very kindly sent his v1 to “test”
they arrived last week and i promptly set about modifying and installing them.
retapped the hanger clamps to m6 instead of m5 and press them on the hangers as matrix 2 tolerance are all over the place.
machined new press fit adapters. modified motors to fit and machined spacers for the helical gears
pics-

the controller immediately disconnected, full throttled and ripped the newbee escbox off
the drive is quiet af and has enough torque to rip your ass off, there is a place called great hill near me only 1200ft elevation but the rocks are nuts. small video of a small part of the water section of the ride.

3 Likes

wasn’t in a great mood, went out for a rather nice night ride. i couldn’t quite make a corner and nailed a lampost, full 180 around it from the speed and totaled my front baseplate :pensive:

2 Likes

@longhairedboy how does he not have a title yet? I feel like him staring at things already breaks them.

3 Likes

The night smasher?

2 Likes