The life after cancer thread

Prologue:
I have been wrestling with the idea of publishing this build thread. In an effort to put myself out there and being willing to talk about my circumstances, here goes nothing.

I’m 39 years old, happily married with a family of two kids. Ever since I saw Casey Neistat cruise around NYC on a boosted, I knew that I had to have one. The price was outrageous at the time, so I found my way over to the esk8.builders forum. From there I built my first electric skateboard, then my wife and kids wanted one too. It’s been a family affair for over 2 years now.

I was recently diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma cancer in my colorectal region, lymph nodes, liver and lungs. There have been almost no symptoms, so this took us completely by surprise. There aren’t any family members with cancer on either side of my family. I have no pain, haven’t been sick for years and don’t feel fatigued at all. This was discovered during a somewhat routine colonoscopy.

There isn’t a clear estimate of how long it’s been there, or how much time I have left to live. We are attacking this aggressively with 3 different chemotherapy treatments, IV therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The general message that we received was that if I was in my 60s-70s, the treatment would be focused on prolonging what life I have left. Since I’m young and healthy, they believe that I can withstand more aggressive treatments that will increase my odds of beating this cancer.

The Build:
I’ve always wanted to build an urban carver, but have always lacked the funds to do so. That’s what happens when everyone in your family wants to ride :slight_smile: Last summer I was able to save up enough money to finally make it happen, so I connected with @rafaelinmissouri to take advantage of his sage building discipline and advice. A few weeks later Flux Motion launched their DIY pre-order sale, so naturally I jumped on the opportunity.

This building experience has been a great mental distraction and escape. When building, the worries and stress of everything happening around me seems to fade away. This thing will literally be my vehicle of hope going forward, as I plan to make many more quality memories going on family rides.

The Deets:

• Flux Motion DIY deck and enclosure - $280
  • MBS Metal Matrix II Trucks - $198
  • MBS Rockstar II Hubs - $60
  • Kenda K909 200x50 tires - $65
  • Moon gear drives - $285
  • TB 6380 190kv motors - $160
  • 12s8p 30Q battery with Smart BMS (spot welded by @thisguyhere) - $596
  • TB Torque6 VESCs - $270
  • Flipsky Antispark Switch - $50

The Pics:

When the deck arrived, I had to toss on my son’s TB 110 wheels just to see what it looked like. This deck is so bad ass (especially without the logo):

Grip tape and motor mounts installed:

Wheels assembled and installed:

P groups spot welded and PCBs soldered in place:

P groups placed in the enclosure:

Series connections done:

BMS balance leads installed:

The last step is to buy motors and run through the VESC tool setup process. Once that is done, this build should be ready for the maiden voyage. Will be hoping for many chances to ride this Spring, as long as the weather and my health provides the opportunity.

Thanks for reading and for joining me on this journey.

Joshua

91 Likes

So sorry man
Good luck with the chemo
Hopefully we will all here you have beaten it soon

Also awesome build love the flux motion deck

28 Likes

So literally… Motors and a remote and you are done?..

I might get on the ball this week and try to knock out my battery.

But instead of jumping on that today I’m going to lolligag on another side project.

I’ll say it again.
I freaking love the deck and grip tape the way you got it going.

15 Likes

Beautiful build man. It’s going to ride great when it’s finished. Maybe dye those shock blocks black to match the rest of the board?

Fuck that cancer up.

16 Likes

Dude board looks awesome, can’t wait to see you it.

Screw cancer, you got this

11 Likes

Awesome build, very clean execution :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

Awesome family you got there! It’s pretty sweet they all like to ride with you.

Great build too, you got this!
:facepunch:
Phuck Cancer

11 Likes

Hey, man. We’re the same age and I was diagnosed with cancer too a year ago. I’m good now but during treatments, my doctors recommended I stay active as I am able. The serotonin rush would definitely come in handy during chemo. Please be aware there will be times when you won’t be able to but definitely celebrate the little wins when they come; the distractions would also come in handy as sometimes, all you can do is wait. Stay healthy and here’s to your journey.

26 Likes

Actually, the remote showed up a few days ago. So yeah, just waiting on the motors. Fingers crossed for some killer Black Friday sales from TB in a few days :slight_smile: Then I just need to do the last bit of loctite and configuring and I’ll hopefully be on my way.

Thanks again for all the support on this build!

Heck yeah. Great idea. I even have the dye already in hand!

Thanks man. I’m planning to give this fight everything that I’ve got. Hoping to come out stronger on the other side of this.

Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah dude, I’m really blessed to have family to share this hobby with.

10 Likes

Thanks for reaching out and thanks for sharing. Congrats on being cancer free. I’m hoping to be able to say the same thing in a year!

I’d be curious to hear more about what your treatment was like. Maybe shoot me a PM if you have a minute.

10 Likes

What really helps is not eating artificial sugar, tumors take a lot of energy out of this.

Speedy recovery good man!

4 Likes

For sure. That’s the first thing that we did was to cut out all forms of sugar. I’m on a pretty strict keto diet with the exception of some allowable meats and fruits.

8 Likes

great build. fuck cancer

11 Likes

I’m rooting for you to beat the shit out of this cancer and I’m sure there are a hella others who feel the same way. :+1:

Inspired build. All black flux deck looks very nice :ok_hand:I’ll put that on the wish list along with 5 other boards that I want lol.

I hope you get lots of opportunity to take this board for a ride when it’s done. I don’t know about the others on here, but pictures and videos of you enjoy a ride on this would be great to see.

I’m wishing you nothing but good luck and best wishes with the treatment.

Come back stronger.

7 Likes

Damn homie. I admire your positive attitude. cancer can go fuck itself🖕🏼

Since it isn’t clear how long you have left to live I’d say a long long time
fuck yeah :love_you_gesture:t3:

Great build btw :grin:

6 Likes

Fuck cancer. Stay strong.
Looking forward to the rest of this build.

5 Likes

FUCK CANCER!

Thank you for sharing your story. Hopeful that you will triumph this

7 Likes

I’m proud of you. Esk8 and building has helped me triumph over addiction. The happiness it has brought me has kept me strong in times I have felt weak. The community has been here for me in times I have felt alone. I hope that it can bring you the same good fortune as you fight your battle. Know that we are here for you and rooting for you.

15 Likes

Thanks for posting! What a beautiful family you have. All the best mate, you’ve got this!!!

3 Likes

All the beat man ! May you enjoy this build and many other after :slight_smile:

4 Likes