The Blue One | 12S LiFePO4 | 170kv TB 6380 | Caliber 2 & BN184 | 30.43" Powell-Peralta | TB110 | FOCBOX [Serious]

Vibrations are going to be an issue with any fuse, less so with a solid state fuse but still an issue. You might consider cutting a little neoprene box to hold the fuse.

4 Likes

Not an issue; feel free to.

3 Likes

Im about to start working on a build somewhat like this but with a Tayto.

If im building the battery do you recommend a Liion or LiFePO4?

It depends on your needs. In most cases, li-ion is better than LiFePO4 and li-poly. LiFePO4 is very heavy for the range you get. Expect a third of the range for similar battery. But what you get is a lifetime about 5 times as many cycles and it withstands cold/arctic weather very well. Both of those were things I needed for this build.

4 Likes

Is there a reccomend LiFePO4 cell?

Might consider using them for the life cycles, but being a secondary build It wouldnt be used as much :thinking:

This is the latest version

Love the TB110 wheels MUCH BETTER than the ABEC11 wheels.

18 Likes

She is getting dirty man you gotta clean that girl up. Those wheel probably roll over everything that isnt a pot hole big enough to swallow the board.

1 Like

I hate going back to PU wheels after pneumatics however these big wheels look like they could feel close enough comfort wise.

They sure look strange on that little board though. :grin:

1 Like

In my Florida hotel room

23 Likes

Business or pleasure? I have one coming up too, not a real fan of work travel but it’s rare enough

Boards look at home :v:

1 Like

It was for a funeral, actually. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Condolences buddy

6 Likes

Decided to come to the other side. What’s your experience with LFP for eks8?

2 Likes

The LiFePO4 lasts a lot longer than li-ion and does really well in the cold (winter).

Also the sag is much different than li-ion. They seem to sag more from a voltage perspective, but from around 98% to 4% they feel exactly the same strength, so it feels like they hardly sag at all. They sag a lot – but they sag uniformly across the charge cycle. At least, that’s how it feels to me.

However, the trade-off is that they have small range for the weight. For a small commuter board, that’s perfectly acceptable.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was not aware of the sagging behavior. A random thought I had was to combine chemistries intelligently. Let’s say you have LFP or liion as your range battery and lipo or expensive lfp as your boost battery. If you had a special BMS, which would draw up to a certain amps from the range battery, and only if you need temporarily more, from the boost pack, you could get a long range high amps battery at small footprint with long life (boost pack being replaced more regularly). I guess it would be total overkill for the average consumer though. Do you know if anyone has played with something like this?

1 Like

I don’t know, but I have had the same thought except using 18650 li-ion cells for range and a couple lipo packs for peak-current-draw / sag-amelioration. Then you could use the high-capacity but low-current cells like Samsung 50E for example.

You’d have to custom make your own BMS.

2 Likes

Yeah, 18650 would also work as range pack.

Actually, there is no need for a custom BMS. Each pack can have their own standard BMS suited to their chemistry (for over/under voltage/current, balance). What would be needed is some current controller, which limits & directs amp draw from the two packs. I wonder if something like that might already exist. Maybe the VESC could manage this (as there is all the hardware in place, it could incorporate this functionality) Should be easy to add on to future VESC dev.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Lovely board.

1 Like

Current photos, about 750 miles on it

Waterproofing is holding up still

12 Likes

@b264 what handle did you use? I’m interested in getting a similar deck. In contact with someone who is selling a decently used Powell deck for $15 cc0c23d482f14c8091f73bfb047cc0d6

4 Likes