The battery builders club

Hmmm thats kinda sad :sob: but thanks for your explanation!

Nicely explained.

3 Likes

nkon had the 40Ts on 3.95ā‚¬ bulk for some months now, nothing really new.

Iā€™ve been quite happy with my LG M50LT purchase, at 3.99ā‚¬ / 3.45ā‚¬ bulk they are a steal as well.

1 Like

Not mine, just sharing the idea. Iā€™ll try this as soon as my TS100 arrives. :grin:

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to measure all my parallel groups to see if the voltages are all the same. And Iā€™m pretty scared to get any shortage :sweat_smile::joy: could someone pls tell me whatā€™s the best way.

1 Like

From the balance harness. Start on B- and measure each lead progressivley recording the voltages. Then you can figure out the voltages of each cell by the difference.

Do it from this part of the harness:

3 Likes

Thx :pray:

1 Like

So I measured the groups. 3 of them are 4.2V so fully charged and the other 7 are just 4.1V. Is that problematic or not? :face_with_peeking_eye:

Ya thatā€™s problematic. Thatā€™s most likely broken welds on those two groups if they were in balance at the start of the charge cycle.

Youā€™re absolutely certain all the groups were balanced before the charge?

1 Like

Also, where did u purchase your cells?

1 Like

Yeah all groups had the same voltage when starting. I measured all batteries on 3.6V. Because Iā€™m using NESE it canā€™t be a bad weld I guessā€¦ group 3/7/10 had the voltage of 4.2V.

NKON.

As u have several groups that are charging much faster than the others, its more-than-likely that those groups are not properly connected in paralell. This would account for the difference in capacity. Itā€™s also possible that u have faulty cells but I think you should first go back and make sure all of your groups donā€™t have any bad connections.

I have no experience w NESE so Iā€™m not sure what the margin for user error is but thatā€™s where u start.

1 Like

Aah alright thanks for your responses. Could it also be the reason because I used the battery for testing and didnā€™t charged it afterwards a while ago?

Edit: also my charger doesnā€™t really go to 42V after I checked output voltage is 41.7V

This is done on purpose so you donā€™t try to put braking regen into a full battery at the beginning of a ride.

1 Like

Oooh smart. Yeah Iā€™m bypassing it so wouldnā€™t bother for me but if youā€™re not thatā€™s great :sweat_smile: so I did some calculations and i think those differences in voltage could be occurred by the results of my multi meter being not exact enoughā€¦ ? When I measured in 2 decimals the 3rd group is just alright. Canā€™t still explain then why it isnā€™t charging to 41.6 and stops at 41.3

Couldnā€™t it just be the cells being somewhat mismatched in IR/capacity since itā€™s the first charge? Also, 4.1 V vs 4.2 V with no more significant figures could be a tiny difference technically. Unless you run the battery down some and the difference gets worse I would guess the pack just needs time to balance out a little.

Unlikely. Legit cells that are new, close in age and from a reputable manufacturer should all be very close in IR and capacity. It follows that if they all start at the same voltage they should charge and discharge in a relatively uniform manner. If they donā€™t, something is wrong.

Youā€™re technically correct but my guess is that an overvoltage cuttoff happened during charge w one of those higher cells. This stops the charge. Itā€™s caused by a significant difference in the capacity of one of the groups and is often the result of broken welds but also sometimes faulty cells. In my experience, the former is far more often the culprit.

Iā€™m here to admit some failures and ask for help.

Iā€™ve built 2x flat pack 12s4p batteries, trying without success to make them esk8 proof

I have all the cells still from both packs, though because of popped welds some groups/cells are NFG

got my strapping tape and kapton game on lock as far as this thread is concerned.

got a maletrics on an XT90 with a Zeee 3s 9Ah 100C LiPo on it. Considering a 2nd LiPo but idk how an XT90 parallel adapter would faire, considering how hot the wires get after only a few welds and I donā€™t think I have the means to solder this 10AWG into the QS8 it should probably be using (battery has an EC3 to XT90 on it).

using one of those printed handles with the switch in it that holds probes together.

have been trying everything from 20ms-50ms. welds are really inconsistent, to the point of blowing through nickel or barely welding at all.

as for technique, I press down hard, let the spring relax and then the weld happens.

it seems some or most welds are really good on one side, but really light on the other probe.

Iā€™ll bet my left nut its the probe holder thatā€™s fucking you up. Those things are garbage.

1 Like