The BadBoi - An all-terrain, weatherproof, hill-muncher

This marks the start of my first build.

Me? I love snowboarding, like, REALLY love it. Can’t be doing it all year round though.
During the summer, I work/live on large festival sites (loads of fields and hills). So it makes sense to me that I should build an off-road beast to have fun on pre- and post-festival. (I wouldnt even want to ride it in those crowds, let alone be allowed to). Those of you who have been to Glastonbury and/or Boomtown festivals will know the type of ground/hills I’m on about.

I’m basing around the Trampa HS11 BigBoi (10x73 16-Ply). I’m 6’2", 90kg, size 12 shoe.
Infinity hangars, Superstar hubs, Trampa barrels.

I was very lucky to arrange the purchase of an original production BigBoi. It seems they wont officially be available for a little while, but Ted @Trampa hooked a brother up, and I couldn’t be happier with it!

Here’s a comparison between the regular HS11 and the BigBoi version:

I love the beefier looking shape with short nose. Not super keen on the straight-looking sides, but concave pads will soften that edge up.

The extra width will add stiffness, and extra length will provide more space for a larger enclosure.

The BigBoi is the perfect size for my weight and shoe size. Just the right amount of overhang on the heel and toe.
I’ve added some concave pads (printed in translucent red pteg. Thanks to @Creavenger for the design, I will send a tip when I next get paid), Trampa Barrels and MBS F5 bindings. It feels great to ride at the moment. Cant wait to add some power!

Loving the shape with the concave pads in place.

Not a bad colour match: wheels, pads, handlebar extension. Might use red Sharpie on the MBS bindings logo

On its way to me now is my battery, Anti-Spark harness and loopkey, and a y-splitter. All built by @Acido. His skills and knowledge (and patience with my questions and requests), has me filled with confidence in the 12s7p 30q battery that will power this beast.
I ordered this first, so I can get on and prepare the enclosure, that way the rest of the parts should just be “plug and play” (aside from Vesc-tool settings).
I also want to keep the board “bare” until I have all the parts, so I can keep learning how to ride it properly before adding the rocket boosters.

I’m going to be buying parts as and when I have the money over the next few months. Should have it built by end of June, hoping for earlier but have a few holidays booked.
This way, I don’t have to worry about a strict budget, and I can drop whatever I can afford after each big payday on whichever part(s) I can afford that month. I’m a firm believer in “Buy cheap, buy twice”, so I haven’t got a problem with paying extra for “premium” parts.

I’ll edit this parts list with updates and prices as I go along:

1x Trampa BigBoi HS11 10x73 16-ply (Purchased £250)
1x Bicycle handlebar extension. Aluminium and carbon-fibre (Purchased £10.99)
1x MBS F5 Bindings (Purchased £54.95 - ATBshop.co.uk)
1x Trampa Barrels Kit (Purchased £62.50 - ATBshop.co.uk)
1x 12s7p 30q battery, charge only Smart BMS. Anti-Spark loopkey harness, xt90 y-splitter (Purchased from Acido £383 inc shipping)
1x 12s 4A Charger (Purchased from Acido £25.80)
1x Trampa Wand remote w/ NRF dongle (Purchased £130) 2nd hand new from @Kug3lis
1x Dave Case 235-s (Purchased £25.08)
2x Trampa Vesc6mk3 (will run in FOC mode)
2x Maytech 6374 C2 170kv, sealed and sensored. 10mm shaft (Purchased direct from Maytech £237.53 inc P&P)
1x E-toxx Mini Gear Drive, (8t-40t/1:5) ratio
2x E-toxx tpu drive guards
1x E-toxx rear bullbar
6x 50cm 12awg motor phase wires with 4mm bullet connection
2x 50cm hall sensor cables - What gauge wire would you recommended for this length?

I will be routing a channel under the rear foot for the motor wires, so as to keep it looking nice n tidy. This will help to keep them as short as possible for the setup.
The plan is to have waterproof grommets on the case for these wires, so it should all be pretty well sealed. Well, that’s the plan.

I will, of course, update this thread as and when I can afford parts off the shopping list. But it’s going to be a while!

Impatience is my arch-nemesis!

Update:
Post 29/30: Battery and enclosure arrive

18 Likes

I absolutely love that BigBoi deck together with the concave pads, also the red accent color. That deck would have been nice for me as well if it was available then, I’m not that big (at all) but have too large feet to fit the deck completely. Might look into getting the “Flaps” that E-Toxx currently makes.

Also good choice with the E-Toxx hardware and the Barrels :+1:

Case looks interesting as well, dimension wise. Might look into that as well for my battery upgrade.

4 Likes

She’s gunna be dope man, I really really want a dedicated off road board now. It’s the only thing missing from my quiver. Have you you tried mounting the barrels on the inner position? That’ll give you more turn. Your a bigger dude so outside might be best for, just a suggestion for testing if you want it to carve more.

1 Like

Solid build list, what kinda festivals will you begin ruling over on your new beast of a board?

2 Likes

The case is from a small company

It’s not a well known brand, but it is useful dimensions, waterproof, solid and cheap!

In the long term, I’d like to have all the tyres etc to be able to switch to urban. But like you say, I think the outer position should work well. Might even consider sticking a washer with each barrel on the back to firm that up (found some in anodised red, for some added detail :wink:)
We shall see…

7 weeks at Glastonbury, 4 at boomtown, 2 at Shambala. Prob won’t have it running till mid-glasto though.

4 Likes

What’s the finish like?

Mine arrived and I love the shape and design but I found the finish leaves a lot to be desired. Quite a lot of scuffs and scratches straight out the box.

Is yours similar?

I guess that’s pretty normal for a Trampa board, my HS11 had some scratches as well.

Does that make it acceptable?

This is mine brand new straight out the box.

And the other end

Plus all 4 corners underneath look like this.

Top surface

@Trampa is this a normal quality for your decks?

Personally I was slightly disappointed after spending £225 on what’s supposed to be a quality deck.

This was planned to go on a shiny new build. I know I’m probably going to trash it eventually but you would expect it to look nice before it’s been ridden.

11 Likes

Mine was a bit like that, yeah. But it’s all covered by the griptape I put on, which covers all the marks.

Not ideal though, but I’m sure you can sand it back with some wet’n’dry paper.

No, that’s by far worse than mine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The material is not easy to work, but therefore very sturdy in everyday use. You can’t really split it or crack it like other fibre materials. Due to the process, scratches are not 100% avoidable without creating a huge pile of plastic waste, re-foiling the decks multiple times. We don’t want to create this avoidable waste.
The first BigBoi decks were made with more manual labour, so some more scratches are expected.
On the next order send us some photos for a goody.
Scratches are easy to remove or minimize with stainless steel polish.
https://www.mrmuscleclean.com/de-de/products/kitchen/mr-muscle-steel-fix-classic

2 Likes

I think you wanted to reply to @ducktaperules?
I’m fine with my deck, the scratches are minor compared to the above.

1 Like

Awesome dude! Looks slick especially colour accent of the pads great idea. And glad u like the pads :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get they are made manually but would it really be to difficult to lay a sheet of brown paper between them during production and storage to keep them nice? Literally every other company manages it.

I’m sure Lacriox, bioboards, kaly, sender, markOne or anyone else would be embarrassed to send out products in this quality. Big Ben’s encloses are made with 100% manual process but I would never expect them to ship looking like this.

Anyways didnt mean to derail @HarryForks thread.

@HarryForks what’s your plan for a battery box?

6 Likes

It’s @HarryForks thread :blush:

2 Likes

My thread actually, but all good bro.

I’m going to use a Dave Case 235s (linked in original post). It’ll be just the right size for the battery and 2 vesc6 and not too big of a footprint on the deck

4 Likes

Also, with the board being wider, I have more leverage over the barrels, so outer position front and back would make sense for anyone on this deck. IMO.

Yeah that deck is pretty choice man looking forward to seeing it complete :call_me_hand:t2:

My orssom was the same dude. As was the enclosure

The anodised end caps were slightly marred too.

Its a trampa thing it appears.
According to those in the know you get far less deflection and bullshit if you just talk to Ted.
@HarryForks. Great first build mate and keen to see it completed.

4 Likes

gotta give credit where credit is due
fantastic job @Trampa frank & ted for bringing this bigger deck to the market.

1 Like