Demonseed Rebuild - custom CF deck, SRB trucks, 12s7p p42a, 6380

This is a beautiful build! I think the handlaid fiberglass enclosures are the best.

What is bad about resin? Did you try painting with resin and it beaded up and looked terrible?

That battery is amazing!

1 Like

Super sweet build impressive enclosure.

1 Like

I really want to mount it pass thru but the rear deck will rub against the motor cans unless I chop off some wood.

1 Like

The poly resin in a layup worked just fine for the most part but would sometimes get inconsistent tack-free finishes. I used a combination of laminating and finishing resin which had wax premixed in, I might have had better results if I mixed in the wax myself. The problems came with trying to apply the resin by itself to the deck and the results were mostly like you described. I didn’t show how the first time I tried to do the bottom completely failed and I had to strip and re-sand the deck.

1 Like

I think the drugs must be wearing off because right as I’m dozing off I realize @Bavioze means there’s a bunch of ground clearance between the motor cans and the ground, not between the deck and cans like I had been measuring.

Holy crap man you were right. I rotated the mounts down one notch and wow, that change takes this to the next level for me. Take off the lights and you can ride it upside down now.

8 Likes

Congratulations, your build as been officially added to the Ultraboards hall of fame! :slight_smile:

Those mounts are scary low though, you might want to grind the tail a bit or something to give them room to be higher.

3 Likes

!!!

lol

3 Likes

Nice work!

1 Like

No affiliation, I swear

2 Likes

Lol it’s a meme for sure

super clean work!

Sorry, this is kind of a dumb question, but what are the shiny blue things around the enclosure screws called?

1 Like

cone washers

2 Likes

Very nice build :call_me_hand: what’s your gearing w those pneumies?

1 Like

Thanks! I’m using 16:62 (3.875) at the moment. I designed this with 18:62 in mind but decided to take it slow.

2 Likes

are you still using the idler mounts?

I’m trying to see if i can fit my evolve Boardbumpers 58T onto the BN270/Bn mounts.

1 Like

I’m still using them and they’ve been great

however with the pnummies on I’m limited to belt sizes that fit pretty snug naturally because I cannot put the idler on - the tire gets in the way.

this is with Metroboard 155’s with 18:62 gearing btw

3 Likes

Quick update on dialing in the board. I’ve recorded 175 miles on this since installing Strava so I must have 200+ miles on the board by now. On most rides I do ~22mph average speed, top speeds 30-33mph, usually about 16.8 miles of range, between 20-24 wh/km, motor and mos temps in the 60’s. It took a bit of tweaking the gear ratios and different wheels to find something that feels right.

Wheels:

Right away I noticed one of the front Torqueboard AT would wobble at speed, vibration wasn’t really an issue because I balanced the wheels, but it seemed the bearings weren’t set in there correctly? After about a week one of the tires went flat - the tube started to balloon and had what looked like a pinch hole. One of the group riders recommended to switch to Metroboard tires and I decided to swap out for Superstars at the same time - super glad I did, not only do they look bangin but immediately the quality was apparent and they’ve been rock solid since. I love these tires, they grip the road so well.

Bushings:

I started with Riptide krank canon 93 / 96 front / rear with cups and after talking with Brad at @RipTideSports I switched it to 96/93 road/board front, 93/96 road/board rear with large washers, pretty loose and that feels really good on most roads. I’m finding now that I want a tighter turning circle after riding a Nazare, so I’m experimenting with softer bushings. The mounting plate is sweet.

Gears:

I started with 16:62 with the torqueboard glass nylon wheel pulley, after putting on the trampas I wanted to experiment with a lower gear ratio, so I tried the 16:44. Acceleration is much slower obviously, but I find at speed I like the damped throttle response, when I’m going 30+ I want the throttle to be smooth, so I really liked this combo. The problem is the motors didn’t, when going up hills I started to thermal throttle, motors in the low 80’s, wh/km jumped to 28. On flatish ground it was totally fine temp wise, just would struggle up hills as expected. However I think the problems were exacerbated by the fact that I tried tuning the esc current setting via the vesc app, and thus only the master esc was picking up the settings. I cracked open the enclosure and connected via the desktop version and made sure both escs had the same settings and the thermal + efficiency issues went away, but I also switched to the 62 wheel pulley so I haven’t tested how well the 44 does on hills with good esc settings.

I’m currently running 18:62 and the board has more than enough torque for me. It can feel a bit jerky at speed, it’s less of an issue than with the 16, but still surprises me every now and then. It flies up hills but I also can feel the top speed ~33mph and want more. I suspect 14:44 might be the goldilocks zone for this board.

6 Likes

A lot of this will be old news for those of you I regularly ride with but I wanted to document the updates to this board from the past couple months as the changes have been pretty drastic.

So right away after settling on a gearing ratio it quickly became apparent that the battery wasn’t cut out for our group rides, I could optimistically get 15 miles with a ton of sag while our normal Saturday ride is 17 miles give or take. With a 1.5x overpec factor in mind I decided to upgrade to a 12s7p p42a which would on paper give me about 25 “good” miles with my consumption.

Which meant this battery needed a new double stack enclosure

In addition, Luis made these dope ass motor mounts

this combo worked pretty great, I could get away with only ever partially charging the pack to ~90% and I never felt limited by range. I focused on getting faster at the track and with some coaching from Brandon and Mario it was clear that RKP trucks were the limiting factor now. I got the chance to ride a SRB sled and decided to make a purpose-built track board based around the SRB trucks.

6 Likes

So after I got some SRB trucks, I stood on a piece of cardboard and traced out a foot stance that felt right. I wanted a 1.5” drop with a steeper angle up front. I liked the concave on the Demonseed and eyeballed it at about 18mm deep.

I had been watching YouTube tutorials on shaping surfboards so making the mold out of XPS foam and fiberglass seemed like a good approach.

I planned on making at least the initial shape using resin infusion so I made sure to add a flange around the deck plug. I think I had 3” of flange, which turned out to be a bit tight, twice that would have been better.

the first glassing came out with pinholes and other imperfections, so I poured on more resin and sanded back until it was acceptable to me.

the infusion stack:

200g 2x2 twill cf for looks

250g unidirectional tape cf for stiffness along length

300g ±45 bidirectional cf for torsional strength

300g 2x2 twill kevlar in the drop areas for deformation toughness. Carbon fiber tends to explode when it fails so the kevlar is there to hold the board together in these high stress areas if the carbon were to snap

2mm santor loric core material

and mirror for the 2nd half

bagged and pulled vacuum

infusion complete

the cured part

Rough shape cut out. I started with a dremel w/ permagrit cutoff wheel which did a decent job on the carbon but really struggled on patches of kevlar. Ended up switching to an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel which did the job.

7 Likes

the initial infused part was not nearly strong enough, I could easily bounce and hit the ground, so on the underside with the peel ply texture I wet lay and bagged on more bidirectional cf and some new 650g unidirectional cf tape

one cool thing about having a positive mold for the deck is you can reuse it to make the enclosure mold

the enclosure in progress

cut stuff out and checked the fit

more test fitting

bagging on more structural cf

moving the electronics over

Those round metal things on top of the deck are called “adhesive fasteners” and are meant to be secured to composite surfaces using epoxy, they’re analogous to threaded inserts in wood.

size comparison between the old and new decks. the new deck is 51” long with 46” wheelbase

test ride at track day

13 Likes