Black Bear - Faultline | BN270 | Rockstar II / Urban Tread | 12s4p P42A | FocBox

After selling off the parts from my old MBS Comp 95 board I am left with a hole in my quiver for a powerful off road capable board, something with enough torque that it would yank my socks off and roll away into the sunset if I didn’t have bindings on it.

The current plan is to make a custom maple and fiberglass deck for this down the line, but until then the Faultline is a placeholder

So far so good, everything is accounted for and the assembly process has begun!

For the battery we are rocking a 12s4p P42A brick battery with 30mm * 0.2mm nickel for the series/parallel connections and an ABS spine to keep it all nice and neat. It will be packed into a Pelican Ruck R60 with an LTT smart BMS so I can keep an eye on it. All of this is gonna get tucked away between my feet, thankfully the R60 isn’t terribly large so the stance will not be as uncomfortable as the Comp 95.

The rest of the electronics get packed into a matching Pelican Ruck R20 and it will be bolted to the rear baseplate so I don’t need to run so many wires across the length of the board (also I am a sucker for split enclosures). The big ticket item in there is a pair of Enertion FocBox 1.7 ESCs on a 3DServisas heat sink which just barely fits into place, I will need to do some fuckery to get the wires in there but it’ll get done sure enough. The rest of the goodies inside are a Flipsky 200A smart antispark because fuck loopkeys, a VX2 receiver so I can get that sweet telemetric data, a METR Pro for the logs, and absolutely nothing else because I am out of space for it…its gonna be tight as it is.

The drivetrain is a little bit of a strange combination, for some strange reason I wanted to have 90mm mounts matched with 72T pulleys and it’s been giving me some issues but where would the fun be if this was easy? The total setup is a pair Torqueboards 190kv 6380 motors with 15T pulleys on Boardnamics 270mm hangars with the new idler mounts (reversed of course) powering Rockstar II hubs with the MBS 72T polymer pulleys and Trampa Urban Treads. I have to use a 420mm belt and the 15T motor pulleys because there isn’t enough clearance for the idler, if one day the slot style Boardnamics mount comes out I will switch to that but until then I am relying on a perfect combination of parts for everything to fit. Also I needed to get 75mm * 10mm shoulder bolts and 16100-2RS bearings so that I can run the Rockstar II hubs, a little more expensive than I would like and I need to make bearing spacers so that I can actually tighten the axles but it works so well together otherwise. In order to have the clearance for the pulleys to not touch the mount I have a single M10 washer on each axle and it is just enough clearance. Regrettably there was an issue with one of the hangar threads right off the bat, but I managed to clear out a bunch of chips from the hole and how everything is the way it should be, no harm done. As it stands there is just enough room to not have dangerous wheel bite, I love that I can adjust the KranK bushings (I have 90a barrels in there right now and a longer kingpin nut) so that it stops just clear of the deck.

Parts Breakdown
Part Brand Name Status Cost
Axle Spacers Bolt Depot 2mm M10 washers owned $1
Axles McMaster-Carr 75mm * 10mm shoulder bolts owned $30
Baseplates Boardnamics Stealth 50°/40° owned $60
Battery Molicel 12s4p P42A owned $240
Battery Enclosure Pelican Black R60 owned $65
Battery Enclosure Screws Bolt Depot M5x40mm pan head owned $1
Bearing Spacers McMaster-Carr 25mm M10 standoffs owned $23
Bearings NSK 16100-2RS owned $30
Belts V-Belt Guys 420 HTD5M 15 purchased $23
Binding Nuts Bolt Depot M6 nylock owned $1
Bindings MBS F5 owned $47
Bindings Screws Bolt Depot M6x30mm pan head owned $2
BlueTooth METR PCB antenna owned $46
BMS LTT Smart 15A 12s li-ion owned $45
Bushings RipTide 90a KranK barrel owned $9
Charger YZPower 50.4V 6A purchased $39
Deck Sector 9 Faultline owned $50
ESC Enclosure Pelican Black R20 owned $45
ESCs Enertion 1.7 FocBox owned $220
Front Hub Screws Bolt Depot M4x35mm socket head owned $2
Front Truck Screws Bolt Depot M5x35mm pan head owned $1
Hangers Boardnamics Stealth 270mm owned $110
Heatsink 3D Servisas Dual FocBox heatsink owned $40
Heatsink Screws Bolt Depot M3x8mm socket head owned $1
Hubs MBS Slack Rockstar II owned $37
M4 Nuts Bolt Depot M4 nylock owned $1
M5 Nuts Bolt Depot M5 nylock owned $1
Motor Mounts Boardnamics Stealth idler owned $50
Motor Pulleys TorqueBoards Heavy duty 15T purchased $44
Motors TorqueBoards 190kv 6380 owned $270
Rear Hub Screws Bolt Depot M4x60mm socket head owned $6
Rear Truck Screws Bolt Depot M5x45mm pan head owned $1
Remote FlipSky VX2 owned $53
Tires Trampa 165mm owned $90
Tubes Trampa 165mm owned $50
Wheel Pulleys MBS Polymer 72T owned $34
Total - - - $1,768
7 Likes

I’m just really interested in what you’re gonna do for your deck for the Black Bear build. I’ve got an MBS Core 94 that I’d love to donate to a good cause :wink:

1 Like

Haha the deck stumps me too, I have also just come to the realization that the Meepo V3 enclosures are too small (most I can do is 10s2p with Daly BMS but I want a 12s2p with LTT BMS, and the ESC enclosure is a paint to get a Unity into) so honestly the deck and enclosure for both are stumping me for both…I was literally about to come here for some advice about it lol

Down the line I want to make my own decks and enclosures for both (bunch of maple veneer, some fiberglass, and some pretty painted fabrics) but I need something temporary to last until I have the time to fuck around with hardcore DIY

I’m thinking of picking up the OwnBoard C1 deck with metal enclosures for the Cross Fox and then something a little beefier for the Black Bear to hold the Pelican enclosures…but I’m struggling…a core 94 could be a possibility though…

1 Like

Anyone else know of a good deck for 6" wheels on RKPs and a split enclosure for 12s2p with a big BMS and a Unity?

1 Like

Also I think cisco might be selling the colab deck :eyes:

2 Likes

oooooooh

1 Like

There was this one build on a colab deck which used split enclosures and it looked pretty sick but it probably won’t work for your Cross Fox cuz it’s a huge deck lol

Haha I was gonna go for a 36" to 39" longboard for Cross Fox

1 Like

Please help, where can I get a decent split enclosure? I need to fit a 12s2p P42A with an LTT smart BMS in the one and a Unity with some dongles and hopefully a voltage step down module with an LED driver in the other. Anyoyhave suggestions?

• Ownboard/Meepo are all too small
  • TorqueBoards is just thin ABS
  • eBoosted is a bit much in terms of cost
  • Exway are too small
  • Boosted are not available
  • Backfire X2 and WowGo 3X maybe?
1 Like

Would vac-forming with some kydex be out of the question?

1 Like

It’s not out of the question, but from what I hear baking Kydex in the oven smells awful and neither my mother nor my roommates are willing to let me

Also the aesthetic…I want it too look decent at least

1 Like

Battery enclosure came in, I’m not so sure it wants to be a 12s4p so much as it wants to be a 10s5p…

@Flasher it’s your fault I spent $110 on enclosures, shame on you :joy:

4 Likes

thats a sweet looking case! 12s tho is almost a must in my opinion lol

1 Like

I know, I really wanted the 12s4p

1 Like

Wait. What’s wrong with it? 10s5p is 50 cells and you’re complaining that you can’t make it fit with 48? What am I missing?

2 Likes

Lol! Wondering the same thing! You for sure have room to take out two cells lol!

Layout akin to this, but instead of one group perpendicular to the others, you have room for 2

1 Like

It’s the width of the inside, the measurements they had on the site indicated I could do a 6x8 stagger which is perfect for 12s since its 2 neat rows, but I can only do a 5x10 stagger which is fine for 10s5p and really easy to make but getting the 12s4p from a 5x10 block is less fun. It’s not that I can’t do it, its just that I am too lazy to want too…I got fooled

1 Like

Yeah that’s probably what I will end up doing

The inside is 9.5x5.5 cells

1 Like

I believe I’ve said this multiple times before…always take account that internal measurements aren’t quite right. Some cases have rubber that fucks that up and many have rounded perimeter edges on the bottom