TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

Ya unfortunately you do need to have the A2D module connected to the LED strip for them to be compatible with the TTL controller. This is due to the difference in voltage used by the analog and digital strips. The analog uses 12v, but the digital uses 5v. So the A2D module drops the 12v from the TTL controller down to 5v and does the level shifting for data and clock.

What type of digital strips are you hoping to use? The TTL module only works with APA102 / SK9822 digital strips. I could add the A2D modules to your order and work out the price difference if you would rather use your strips.

I was going to source some 144 per meter strips using a silicone cover to try for a more neon edge effect, though I wasn’t sure of the clock rate from your driver so I hadn’t ordered yet. Preferably I would use sk9822 strips because they are cheaper and I don’t need the higher speed.

Shoot me a pm or pp request for the a2d modules. I would like two, but prefer 4 of them as I like to have spare parts if you have stock to spare.

I am using a Ubox v2 esc and plan to use the 12v lighting output (3a12vdc) to power the ttl headlight/break light and injecting 12vdc to the high power strips from a buck converter if necessary. Otherwise i will use the light output as a signal to turn power on to a dedicated buck converter if that creates issues.

My scheme is to have the ubox power the ltt to avoid having the ltt uart active if the ubox esc isn’t powered this way. The ubox will run one break light level during the day - when the ltt is off. When the ltt has 12v the headlights, splash lights, and break lights. im making a 3 input/level break light (pilot-break1-break2)

1 Like

Just a heads up, if you go this route you would be limited to half a meter per side since the maximum LED count per side the TTL system allows is 72. Also the more LEDs per side, the buggier the TTL app will be since the LEDs take a lot of time for the MCU to process. It still works, you will just need to send some commands twice for the TTL module to take it.

If you still want the A2D modules then, I will PM you the payment details.

The setup you plan to have sounds very interesting! It all sounds doable as long as you are very careful about the wiring. If you need any help double checking your schematics before implementing it all, just shoot me a PM.

1 Like

What is the difference between the “Self-Powered” and “Externally-Powered”. I cant find a descipter and it looks like it just has and added XT60 and case?

2 Likes

12V input and 50V input

easy to remember SP = STEPDOWN INCLUDED

1 Like

Cool, the “externally-powered” would be for for 50v then?

1 Like

you might be confused looking at the white letters saying 12V on the wires. But that is marking the 12V output not input.

2 Likes

@Fosterqc, Thanks for clarifying this.

@jbshayward, Sorry for the confusion. I realize the naming convension is not the most straight forward. It was intended to indicate that the Externally Powered version requires a separate 12v buck converter to power it while the Self Powered version can be connected directly to the battery since it has a 12v buck integrated into it.

2 Likes

Clear as mud! :joy: J/K! Totally figured out now, Thank you!

1 Like

Is there any chance in getting just the self powered unit without the all the lights, horn and such?

2 Likes

Meant to ask that hear…my bad

you gotta clarify if you mean the unit as shown but without the accessories included? or a unit redesigned for I assume only pixel lights.

If the latter, as I pondered this. Would you want to keep the UART to vesc connection? or have gyro lights only no throttle/rpm light modulation?

pretty sure you meant the first thing, but the new product idea was related been meaning to ask about.

Sorry, yes the unit without accessories. No redesign, I do want the UART to VESC. I just want to use my own lights

2 Likes

Ya I can definitely sell just the Self Powered TTL Module by itself. We can PM about the details.

@Fosterqc, A variation like that definitely would work great for summer boards. Not sure how many others would use it though.

2 Likes

Hey man, still curious about getting just the unit with a ups?

1 Like

Is it possible to make a high voltage version of the SP? Up to 100.8V would be best I guess.

For a Onewheel finding a COTS buck and wiring it might be too big, although having lots of output would be cool.

1 Like

Hey sorry for not responding till now, I was on a trip when I saw the notification and totally forgot to come back to it. I am sure that it is possible to create one, but I am not sure how the size would end up comparing to an off the shelf buck converter. I haven’t looked into the parts available now, but I know that when researching the power supply for the current SP TTL module a few years ago, all of the small form factor bucks with > 1A output maxed out at 60v input. There may be new, more capable components existing now, but I also expect them to be in very short supply.

I think the most straight forward way to make a lighting controller with 100v input is to use multiple stages of bucks, but that will greatly increase the footprint of the design and may push it into the range of existing 100v to 12v buck converters once the heatsink is added on.

I dont have any plans to build a board greater than 12S any time soon so I won’t be trying my hand at the 100v lighting controller, but if someone does I’d be very interested to see how the implement the voltage regulation.

1 Like

Yeah this list is pretty good but needs more 18S+ options researched…

Much appreciate your answer.

1 Like

hey @Ricco. I’m finally getting my build going and bench testing the setup when i noticed something in the ttl app, i was setting up the rgb strips (using digital sk9822 strips) when i saw that splash carve isn’t an option. is this due to the digital rgb strips or my remote/ubox not being compatible or did i just not explore the app enough to find a toggle? i have the latest fw and vesc5.3FW. I’m using the ubox remote (NRF) if that is important.

1 Like

Hey @Pecos, this is due to the separation of the digital and analog side light modes in the TTL FW. At the moment, the digital and analog side lights have a different set of modes and due to complexities in porting the splash carve mode from analog to digital, that still remains an analog only option. Sorry for the confusion.

2 Likes