Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

Awesome, thank you!
Yea, temp sensors sounds about right for the four smaller pins.

1 Like

People have unwrapped the cell part but I could not find the photos posted on either the normal or issue reporting group.

1 Like

I have a vested interest in seeing the inside of the pack. Any chance it’s two 6s batteries? Are the cells 18650?

1 Like

12S1P 25R (108Wh) pack with… the design somehow making them not electrically connected. I saw some pics one time but they have been deleted from FB I guess.

I was just trying to get a broken one.

This person decided to let SB keep them instead

1 Like

Hey Dana, any success? And are you sure you’ll try repairing the stock remote instead of getting another kind? My remote seems to be dying and in just curious what way to go if it does.

1 Like

check the remote battery health, I heard of many crapping out.

So far no luck getting the remote re-paired, or repaired for that matter. Going to try a few more things and a brand new battery, but I’ve been busy, so it is taking me awhile. I am in contact with support. I’ve got a brand new remote ordered and they told me they were going to be air shipping some for fulfillment as their current order was on a boat off California like Starbuck’s peppermint syrup (I added that last bit).

1 Like

Yes 18650 batteries : Samsung 25R.
The pack is made of 24 cells. I think it’s two 6s2p batteries used in series.

My plan is to convert the pack with a 12s BMS

1 Like

Ha well you are here to correct me!!

Really not sure it is two 12s1p. Each of the two battery is made of 12 cells with a voltage of 25.2V (and not 50.4V like a 12s pack would be). “Only” 25.2V meas 6s (6*4.2 = 25.2V).

The SBX charger is 50.4V. Meaning the two 6s2p pack are charged in series. The board is quiet powerfull (goes uphill) so I guess it is discharged in series as well. Parallele voltage would be 25.2V, not enough to go uphill I think.

1 Like

you could really be right. I was not considering the evidence that was provided as it seemed silly also Aaron had talked about it being 12S but I guess he could have meant series 6S2P packs like you say.

I wonder what odd behaviour this could explain… Thanks for taking the time to reiterate to me.

1 Like

Yeah two 6s2p in series is kind of equivalent to a 12s2p pack.
Strange engineering anyway …

1 Like

welp lol it says right there. 21.9V 5000Mah each side.

Yeah that’s it: 21.9V nominal means 25.2 fully charged.

1 Like

I really want to know how the balancing and stuff works and is wired up, interesting mystery.

Wish I did not have to search but Aaron was talking about how he paid a engineering company to evaluate the SBX battery for any reason it could be self destructed as in the infamous case with Charlie’s. They found no faults with the design, would be really cool to read that report someday.

2 Likes

If I had a report like that about a pack I built I would post it publicly everywhere I possibly could.

Of course, a lot depends on what criteria were used for judging the design. Initial quality is completely different from product dependability and process/production control. All need to be carefully managed to have a good product with a lower risk of failure.

2 Likes

I am finally getting a broken battery with cells removed but should get all the PCBs and junk. Plus some pics before stuff is cut hopefully.

1 Like

I can show you pictures if you like, it’s… Not great.

I am not surprised they have been having lots of issues, all the electronics are weird tbh.

4 Likes

I mean if you post them here I can tell the person sending me stuff to not bother with pics before tearing the water damaged cells out and mailing it.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll grab some in a bit. Also have some of the ESC’s kicking about.

2 Likes