Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

CNET review.

I said it was not great to not review any of the maintenance aspects and only the riding experience.

1 Like

motorized things are not so easy to diagnose things on the go.

those zz bearings seem to fail quite a bit.

1 Like

2 Likes

@Battery_Mooch I found the screenshot my friend took when Aaron was talking about how awesome the battery for the sbx should be.

Talking about what VESC based esc to buy for a v2 esc swap.

then lots of reports of batteries not functioning and needing to be sent in with no report of what is the problem being solved.

3 Likes

LOL…the bq78350 chip is only a part of what makes up a BMS. This chip monitors the current going in and out (tracking that) and has some health reporting and logging features. But it doesn’t balance or directly control any of the BMS protection features.

It is designed to work with one of three other monitoring/balancing/protection chips, the bq76920/76930/76940, to create a 3S-15S BMS depending on which of the other chips is used.

The bq78350 is a good chip, as are all of the Texas Instruments (TI) chips, but it cannot create a BMS on its own and it’s not the “best” unless it’s exactly what you want for a particular application. I guess it has what he was looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

He might be pairing it up with a microprocessor and his own BMS software, or perhaps one of the other TI chips it pairs with (though I would think he would have mentioned use of a full TI chipset), to create the BMS.

3 Likes

This is, every picture of the inside of a sbx battery ever posted on fb

![118585750_3323992624331662_9034941395426557013_n|375x500]

(upload://qhG9cOLzka6haNCWi3PJTGnv3hd.jpeg)

1 Like

Wow, so much going on inside that board…vibration-sensitive connections, crush damage, all kinds of fun things.

4 Likes

Could I ask a favor? At your convenience, could you post a picture of the mating connector for this? It’s the main battery connector to the rest of the board?

2 Likes

hmm yeah missed that side of the pack.

fits directly to your pic on esc.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!
Yea, temp sensors sounds about right for the four smaller pins.

1 Like

People have unwrapped the cell part but I could not find the photos posted on either the normal or issue reporting group.

1 Like

I have a vested interest in seeing the inside of the pack. Any chance it’s two 6s batteries? Are the cells 18650?

1 Like

12S1P 25R (108Wh) pack with… the design somehow making them not electrically connected. I saw some pics one time but they have been deleted from FB I guess.

I was just trying to get a broken one.

This person decided to let SB keep them instead

1 Like

Hey Dana, any success? And are you sure you’ll try repairing the stock remote instead of getting another kind? My remote seems to be dying and in just curious what way to go if it does.

1 Like

check the remote battery health, I heard of many crapping out.

So far no luck getting the remote re-paired, or repaired for that matter. Going to try a few more things and a brand new battery, but I’ve been busy, so it is taking me awhile. I am in contact with support. I’ve got a brand new remote ordered and they told me they were going to be air shipping some for fulfillment as their current order was on a boat off California like Starbuck’s peppermint syrup (I added that last bit).

1 Like

Yes 18650 batteries : Samsung 25R.
The pack is made of 24 cells. I think it’s two 6s2p batteries used in series.

My plan is to convert the pack with a 12s BMS

1 Like

Ha well you are here to correct me!!

Really not sure it is two 12s1p. Each of the two battery is made of 12 cells with a voltage of 25.2V (and not 50.4V like a 12s pack would be). “Only” 25.2V meas 6s (6*4.2 = 25.2V).

The SBX charger is 50.4V. Meaning the two 6s2p pack are charged in series. The board is quiet powerfull (goes uphill) so I guess it is discharged in series as well. Parallele voltage would be 25.2V, not enough to go uphill I think.

1 Like

you could really be right. I was not considering the evidence that was provided as it seemed silly also Aaron had talked about it being 12S but I guess he could have meant series 6S2P packs like you say.

I wonder what odd behaviour this could explain… Thanks for taking the time to reiterate to me.

1 Like