SERIOUS - šŸ’” Trial run for "Serious" tags on new threads (Serious Replies Only)

All emojis were available at one point

1 Like

I think itā€™s a bit of a fine line between keeping the thread fun but informative and derailing the whole thing. I think the odd joke is fine, even good it keeps the vibe of the thread. Most problems Iā€™ve seen come from the thread being dragged into an argument over minutia.

3 Likes

Maybe your time but my reading time does not have to be full of dick jokes :wink: We are all different, it as to be taken into account.

Go play chess then !

2 Likes

Hey man cut me some slak

3 Likes

over-quoting is the death of conversation and completely autistic

2 Likes

All right, guys. Great first SRO example thread running thanks to ZachTetra:

So feel free to use or not use this. Adoption or obsolescence will tell the story more than voting or anything else. Thanks everyone for weighing in.

1 Like

And itā€™s a shameā€¦ An user-side moderation/filtering would be great/better because for a thread I didnā€™t start and if the OP hasnā€™t add the OSR, I would be fucked and will have to read all the shiposting in the middle of what could be useful and valuable informations.

We canā€™t have a forum per user but we should try to be more inclusive with minorities opinions (not sure about the wording, I mean "groups of people with differents state of mind or sense of humour. I read this in the ā€œWhat the Hellā€ thread :

But where were those promises announced ? I saw some ā€œcensorship freeā€ and ā€œwill never read your PMā€ promises about this forum but never saw shitposts/gif party/childish jokes in most of all thread promises.

Excuse my English, still a langage barrier on my side and Iā€™m sure some of my words wonā€™t be read as I think they would be. I know Iā€™m too serious but Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one on this forum.

1 Like

Itā€™s incumbent on each individual to not get too carried away with off-topic arguing, bullfighting, taunting and laff-posting or at least find the happy modicum. Of course there is no actual statement, donā€™t bother looking for it.
Any comment by the OGā€™s have been about not here to break up your bullshit, which I agree with. Sure we can implement controls/subject tags to indicate no BS, but really is this school? Is it work?

Suffice to say the older members by age and experienceā€¦in well all things, have to lead by example a bit more in this department.

Guilty here, all the same I enjoy banter but yes threads are getting completely derailed, content is getting buried, people are getting pseudo-bullied & meme quality is at an all-time low.

5 Likes

As in many things on forums, it wasnā€™t a big official announcement, but more a series of interactions in different threads that collectively told that story. We certainly werenā€™t interested in going from one guy who took himself too seriously to another.

The point being Bill can take a joke, but it has to be funny :joy:

1 Like

About to flag for the purposes of SRO, but Iā€™m cool with all forms of abuse directed my way.

1 Like

Fair enough Bill itā€™s not about SRO per se, I was about to flag myself

1 Like

The flip side to this, is that forums feel dry and boring when they are overly On-Topic enforced. In fact, Iā€™ve seen a number of forums never grow and develop their own organic community as a result.

Additionally, letā€™s not forget that ultimately this is a forum about electric Skateboards, which everyone except Brian does to have fun.

I think the forum should be fun. It should be a bit silly. What weā€™re doing and building is very fucking silly, and a lot of fun.

I think SRO tag is a pretty solid suggestion towards organizing discussions here without stomping on the cultural zeitgeist.

So no, dick jokes may not help you get your board tuned. But we generally have a good sense of humor, and laughing together is how communities are built. It should be fun, first and foremost.

14 Likes

can we change it to [Serious] (like reddit)
ā€œSROā€ can be a bit ambiguous?

9 Likes

If others like the idea, I donā€™t see why not.

2 Likes

That would be easier for people who havenā€™t read this thread to understand

5 Likes

With all the shitpost going around recently I think a serious topic is very needed around here. I also like the idea of [SERIOUS] instead of SRO, it would definitely make it easier for people who are only here to get help fixing their boards and not listen to our shitposting on each others threads. We are a community after all. Right?

7 Likes

Heck no, this is not Reddit. I rather prefer the ā€œLike when you like it or ignore / answer back / flagā€ actual layout.

Itā€™s more human this way and fuels for debate and exchange of infos. Iā€™ve never been turned down by a flag (helps me reflect sometimes even if I rarely get flags) but somehow dislikes make me want to stir shit up.

We need love and understanding, thatā€™s what brought me here, felt like a warm place at first.

By adding a judging system with dislikes, it would just crumble.

In summary, Iā€™m passionately against this idea for here.

And Iā€™m for the [SERIOUS] /[SRO] tag even if I doubt Iā€™ll be using it.

7 Likes

Reddit has multiple options for sorting comments. The default is ā€œBestā€ which sorts via # of upvotes, downvoted, and amount of time between post creation and comment creation.

Other options include:

• New; which should be pretty obvious
  • Top; which sorts by highest upvotes minus downvotes
  • Controversial; which sorts by most total votes and closest to a 50:50 downvote to upvote split

Discus sorts comments in linear order by creation date.

This ended up being a great change. Appreciated!

1 Like