Single Cell (1S) 5000mAh Lipo Battery

Well, one of the cells is dead in my 2x Turnigy 5S 5000mAh 25C pack. I am trying to find a single cell replacement to repair the pack.

I know Hobbyking sells single cells but they are 20C and I worry about them getting unbalanced.

Does anyone have a spare Turnigy cell lying around?

How many cycles has the pack gone through? It may not balance anyways if they have like 20 or more

2 Likes

Only 2 cycles. I can’t return it any more because I replaced/resoldered the XT connectors.

I was planning to flatten this pack eventually so that’s what made me think I might try to fix it.

I’m pretty sure this build (my first) is cursed. So many issues :man_facepalming:

Don’t worry about it man, almost everyone has a cursed build at some point

Yeah that should be safe to replace if you can find a good replacement. Have you emailed HK about it? They might be willing to help

3 Likes

I haven’t but I’ll give it a shot.

I’m debating whether to bite the bullet and buy another 5S pack of the same rating, and hold onto these 4 cells as backup. Probably my safest bet.

In my case, all of them.

7 Likes

Haha, I’m sorry man. That makes me feel a lot better though that I’m not the only one.

It took me two years to figure out my builds, and I’m still trying to fix one of them up.

2 Likes

I just got rid of the same pack a few days ago that had 2 cells that were punctured slightly but still worked. The other 3 cells were fine only a handful of cycles on it. I wish I would have saved it for a couple days but I wanted it gone. It even smelled sweet because of its contents leaking out.

1 Like

Oh, dang. Probably safer though that you discarded it. Are you running a 10S LiPo set up?

Yep I got 4x of those packs to get a 10s 10ah pack and its all wired into a BMS.

1 Like

Holy hell, that’s quite a pack. How much range do you get? Torque must be great. Are you bypassing discharge on the BMS?

Yea the BMS is charge only because theoretically you could pull 250 amps continuous and 350 amps peak but I’m not sure the wires/connectors/vesc would like that so I just run 60 amps per motor. Surprisingly the range is only like 12 miles but that is quite aggressive riding with lots of hills. The torque is nice even with my current gearing of 18/62 on 160mm wheels.

1 Like

I have two cells out of that exact pack but shipping would kill it i guess.
edit: Just as I thought, shipping is almost impossible and its cheaper to just buy a new 5s pack :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless you spend 2000$ they usually all are

2 Likes

Oh, dang, too bad we live in different countries.

Thank you so much for looking into it, though!

1 Like

Having 2x 5s cells is the same as 10x 1s cells. You still need to balance charge all of it. I will say though that lipos do not like to be over discharged and cut off for them is higher than LiIon. Are you positive you have the correct battery settings?

1 Like

Yes, positive, thank you. I have the two 5S LiPo’s wired in series to a 10S BMS, with all balance wires properly connected.

I multimeter tested everything to confirm that one cell is dead in one of my 5S packs. Bad cell reads something like 0.1 or 0.2V, confirming that the cell is completely dead.

You can build a pack to have balance leads with a bit of time and patience. What is the Min voltage and current settings you have set on your Vesc?

Also note that C ratings are often meaningless or at best just guidelines to higher quility cells. I have some GnB cells rated to 95c that trounce CNHL 130c cells of the same capacity/price for my race quads. After buying so many different brands GnB are what I buy now. Turnigy cells are pretty low end to be honest but then again esk8 doesn’t require the same amp draw as flying :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

Well I bit the bullet and bought a replacement Turnigy pack, along with some additional connectors and other battery accessories. I just want to get this board operational again.