Rusins' 1st Mountainboard | Trampa Holypro | Jump drives | 12s8p

With trampas carver motor mounts they say you can fit up to 6364 motors but rn i’m trying 6374’s with 6.5mm hand made motor mounts… when I’ll finish them and test fit them i’ll confirm you if 6374 motors fit on the mini trampa trucks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2x 6374 is possible with the right mounts on mini trucks. Still wouldn’t buy the mini truck anymore. Definitely not if it’s meant to be real off-road board and not only all terrain.

5 Likes

This. So much this.

That also means when you get home from shredding the gnar, you have another charged board waiting…

5 Likes

Or in my case, one that isn’t broke :joy:

4 Likes

After watching a few videos on trucks, I think I’ve changed my mind and will be going with Matrix 2s instead. A set of those should be about 600g lighter than Trampa Infinity trucks, and even Trampa is recommending their barrels instead of springs nowadays.

Pretty set on using MBS Rockstar hubs for weight saving, and no bigger than 8" wheels. I don’t want to ride over things as if they’re not there :smile: (The trails we’re I’ll be riding are kept up well, won’t be riding through mud or bushes)

And as for the deck – sure, the arch shape disappears when you’re standing on it, but that constant pressure should make it easier to do “mini jumps” I believe, where the wheels still touch the ground, but you’ve raised the middle of the deck up enough to get over a log or something. Flexible deck like that just seems more wieldy to me.

@rich You flexed the deck all the way to the ground in your video, and I’m about the same weight as you. Should I go for a stiffer version then?

5 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s a 14ply carver deck :rofl:
The Holypro I have is 16ply and feels right with 74kg.

Every deck has pros and cons. The Trampa deck is really nice for “normal” riding and jumping (if not higher than about 1 meter [3 feet]). With normal riding I mean no heavy off-road (at least not fast). The deck is very comfy and you can ollie/jump-off like a king which is great. On the other hand the deck bends and twists which gives you less control in (heavy) off-road conditions. I rode the HolyPro with Vertigo/Infinity trucks (first springs then elastomere dampers), Matrix II trucks (with red shock blocks) and E-Toxx trucks. All of them felt good on this deck.

Then I switched to the Haero Bro with E-Toxx trucks. It felt good and stable but after some rides I switched back to the HolyPro deck. With the wide deck I couldn’t do very tight turns, I need the overhang of toes and heels. Meanwhile I use the Bro with Matrix II on the Jumpinator II and can steer better with a different technique (more body shifting and less with the feet).

Then I switched to the stiff MBS DWII deck and Trampa trucks with elastomere dampers. The same trucks which were great on the Trampa deck (carvy and stable at speed) are very tricky on the DW II deck, uncomfortable, super super carvy and very unstable. But that’s the only setup which works for me when riding flow trails in bike parks. :man_shrugging: But I often get wobbles and it’s very hard to control especially at speed.

Bla bla bla :joy:
just a quick general review for you

Good choice, also get some red shock blocks. Just a hint, they need a bit compression otherwise the lock nut of the kingpin gets loose (This is the case in 3 of 4 Matrix II trucks I have). Actually on 1 truck I have to re-tighten it at least once each ride but I still like the trucks. If you have a 3d printer you could print custom bushings (different flange thickness) if you ever face this problem.

The deck itself is like a spring. When you push it down and use the energy to pull it up you can jump or ollie quite high which is so much fun., for example when jumping up curbs.

At least you should lift the front wheels a bit otherwise if the log or root or whatever is too big you’ll fall. Or better lift both wheel a bit if you are not riding too slow.

First of all riding through mud and bushes is exciting and you should try it both.

From time to time you need to do some emergency jumps so it’s best to practice it. I’ll never forget my first emergency jump when I rode a narrow trail quite fast and suddenly there was a massive tree blocking the way and I had to jump higher than I ever did before. I could clear the tree but crashed on landing, nothing happend. There was a storm the night before so the tree was fresh on the trail which I ride regularly. Another time there was a large and deep hole in the grass which was almost not visible before.

Small jumps are quite easy with the HolyPro so don’t worry

5 Likes

Thank you so much for valuable insight! :heart: Good to know what shock blocks I’ll need as well :slight_smile: Yep, Holypro sounds like just what I’m after :smile:

4 Likes

The stock orange ones are also good for carving but for bumpy off-road terrain red is better. Swapping them is very easy and fast.

2 Likes

To be clear, I never intended for that build to be used off-road. You have significant risk of frequent unintended disconnects going jumping with a backpack.

If I were doing this build, I’d do it like @NoWind and @Duffman with the LiPo packs in the middle. If you keep the Wh reasonable, weight shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

Someone has to be the first to try it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Three tips, 1) have cable slack around the connection to allow for movement, 2) have a solid connection, and 3) wear upper body protection because the backpack can increase the severity of injuries.

2 Likes

On a scale from 1-10, how stupid would it be to have the ESC in a fanny-pack attached to my leg below the knee, and then the battery in the back-pack?

2 Likes

7 Likes

What’s the reasoning? Way I see it, is more shit to don/doff every time you want to ride. Having an umbilical cord is enough effort thank you very much.

3 Likes

Reasoning is that I don’t want 6 long phase wires and sensor wires going between the back-pack and the board; with the ESC on my knee I can have less wire length overall. This board won’t be for commuting, so setup time is not an issue.

2 Likes

Here’s for the inspiration https://youtu.be/aFyFLfCMdFY

3 Likes

Girls rule boys drool :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

If anyone in the EU is looking to upgrade to Apex trucks in the near future, I would love to buy your used Matrix 2s!

3 Likes

Thats not the right attitude! :smiley:

4 Likes

Gotta try something cheap first to justify the upgrade later :sweat_smile:

1 Like