RipTide Sports Pneumatic / Composite tire project

…and reveal all my secrets?..

1 Like

I got u

/s :grin: :stuck_out_tongue: not actual slice of urethane.

2 Likes

This is super intriguing @RipTideSports! I’d have been all over it had winter not just hit.
Will be watching :eyes:

4 Likes

I’d be down if I hadn’t taken apart my thane build

1 Like

I think you need gamma radiation for that. Know any safe sources of gamma radiation?

2 Likes

The MAD Wheelz are going out today!

This could be a really significant breakthrough. Softer urethane wheels are difficult to make due to adhesion issues and such. This process basically make for a dual durometer wheel. It would allow you to use a harder urethane on the inside and make it softer only on the outside. The thickness of the treatment combined with the post-treated durometer will give a pretty good idea about how long wearing the wheels will be. Pretty cool that the color of the urethane doesn’t change.

9 Likes

Agreed this seems like a really awesome breakthrough. I do really wanna try, just need to finish thane setup… that’s not hubs

3 Likes

I was wondering this too. I have a set of mint 78a TB110s that I was on the fence about sending in, but I was worried about the delam issues of the 72a ones coming to bite me. I dont know how thane works but it would be a cool way to improve core lamination. *cough cough @TheGoodMomentum *

2 Likes

Tim Curry Space GIFs | Tenor

2 Likes

If u still need testers i got assortment to coose from. If not, when n how much will cost be?

3 Likes

I think only 3 have committed so we have a slot or two left. I am not worrying about price yet, just performance. We do not have enough data on the effects and longevity of the wheels and not to mention the life of the chemicals, to worry about pricing the process.

I think you have nailed the key benefit of this project. I will try to accurately access the depth of the treatment by sectioning a wheel that has been treated vs one that has not.

8 Likes

OK, treated two older wheels a 77a Orangatang and a 80a Kryptonics which the surface dropped 5 to 7 points in durometer. From what I can tell the depth of the treatment is 3mm to 5mm after a 24 hour soak time.

12 Likes

3mm is good. 5mm is pretty amazing. What happens if the urethane is soaked longer?

Ooh, Maybe a pressure cooker? Works for tough meat!

2 Likes

I do have a pressure pot I could use and can also increase soak time. I do not want it to go too deep though

4 Likes

I wonder if it got too deep, if the bonding to the core would be affected

1 Like

13 Likes

@fujio001 I received your wheels and a return envelope but you forgot to include the return mailing label. Please email it to brad@riptidesports.com. Wheels are in the soup!

2 Likes

Will do! SOOOOOOUUUUP!

4 Likes

you can’t trick @RipTideSports like that… too smart over there.

4 Likes