Rewinding of maytech 8085 160 kv

Hi. Are there any companys that does this?

Not normally, some members here can do it. What’s your location?

It’s not that difficult to do it yourself, and there are plenty of resources available. Pretty rewarding experience but does take a bit of time. I rewired my 80100 and could give some tips. Rough steps are disassemble motor, insulate the stator to prevent shorts when winding, and then rewind. I did it in a LRK WYE pattern, which was pretty easy to do. Hardest part was working with 14AWG wire.

9 Likes

Cool! How do you terminate the windings to your motor wire ends? Did you use motor wire which is epoxy insulated? Or go with normal copper wire? Would love more detail on the whole process as I need to either buy another 149kv sk3 and reterminate, or simply rewire the two stators I already have.

Also, why use 14 awg wire as opposed to using a multi strand wire? Are their benefits?

1 Like

Denmark

1 Like

@Lionpuncher I just got some 200C rated Remington magnet wire off of ebay. To connect my phase leads to the motor windings I just sanded off the coating and soldered some 12awg silicone wires. For the end termination (because it’s WYE) I sanded the tips of the wire, soldered them together, and then conformal coated and shrink tubed.

The main advantage of the thicker conductor instead of multi thinner strands is you are able to get more copper fill. A bunch of thin strands are easier to wind, but they each are insulated so in a given cross sectional area there will be a larger insulation to copper ratio. For a sk3 I would maybe do a single 15 or 16 AWG strand.

At the end it’s best to use stator epoxy, and vacuum it in. But I just painted a healthy amount of conformal coating on all of the windings to keep anything from moving. Since then I’ve had much better temps, and been able to push a lot more current through my motor.

4 Likes

Cool man! Thanks for the info. Will report when the time comes!

2 Likes