[Updated Review] Esk8Supply Dual VESC6.1 Based Controller

A little while back, Nathan over at @Esk8supply offered a special deal on his dual VESC6.1 based controller with the requirement that it be reviewed. I’m a fucking noob when it comes to building when compared to all y’all, but that’s why I think I’m pretty much perfect for this. Because I’m a fucking noob.

Anyways, let’s get right to it. I immediately responded to that offer and I received the controller pretty quickly.

Not that it really matters, but packaging is a little lack luster when you compare it to Maytech, Flipsky, and Enertion.

Off the bat, I’m pretty impressed with what it is.

Comes with an XT60 connector, 2 hall sensor adaptors, 6 4mm phase connectors, 14AWG wires all around, external receiver antenna, and switch. All pretty standard.

Here it is compared to the Unity, though I’d much rather put this in a similar category to the Flipsky controllers. In retrospect, the FSESC 4.20dual plus is cheaper, smaller, and has almost similar cont A ratings. With a little bit more, you can opt for an FSESC6.6 or maybe even a Unity.

The remote was actually a lot better in build than I expected. It doesn’t have that cheap plastic feel and I’d say it’s pretty similar to the VX1 in terms of functionality and trigger response. Almost. (Also a little disappointed it didn’t come with a wrist strap. I would’ve swapped it out anyways, but I’d still like the option ya know? 800maH battery tho

I swapped out my Unity and set up it using VESC tool 1.25. I’m running it on this bad boy while I wait for Cory @hyperIon1 to send me my battery.

Removed the switch that it came with and jumped the pins so that it would be always “on” so I can control using the battery switch instead.

I’m currently running 60, -40, 40, -20 total for starters on:

• very old Psychotiller 12s3p
  • 2017 Skate&Explore Landyachtz Evo
  • SR 200mm RKP w/Janux mounts
  • Abec 107s 16/36
  • BAESK8 engraved Maytech 6374s 190kv (@CiscoV)

After doing motor set up wizard, I noticed that the controller was definitely a little warm. I wanna say 2 minute pee warm. But it’s gotten dark here so I’ll continue this review tomorrow!

AAAAND UPDATE TIME.

DAY ONE

Disclaimer : I’m not some sort of magic wizard with special values and a lot of times I dont know what I’m talking about.

I did 3 separate tests in FOC sensored mode with different amp settings in each of the 3 different speed modes (Not that the speed modes really affect anything) with a -22/-22 throttle curve. aaand NOTE these values will be what I set each vesc to. For each run, I went for about 5 miles in around 15 minutes on the same flat course with an hour of rest in between to let the vesc cooldown and to charge my battery back up to 95%. Averaging about 20mph and peaked at 28mph on the 3rd run.

First run: +30, -20, 20, -10
Second run: +45, -30, 25, -15
Third run: +60, -40, 30, -20

Let’s start with the good.
-This thing is really smooth. Operation-wise, I actually think it runs smoother than the Unity, though that’s not entirely fair because of the way the Unity operates.

-It’s fairly small and set up was relatively easy.

-Honestly that’s about it.

:sweat_smile:

Let’s get to the bad (or nitpicks)
-First off, THE PRICE. I’m not even going to take into account that I got this at a great deal because the normal price would be around $200 but for a little bit more, you can easily just go for a Unity or a freaking Flipsky 4.20dual+ BOTH of which have higher continuous and peak amp ratings.

-WHERE THE FUCK IS THE UART. Okay, I get it, this is for the simple commuter and I guess I’m a little obsessed with Metr Pro, but a flippin UART port would be great. No 5v or 3.3v outputs. Sad.

-Kinda the real issue. This thing definitely runs a little hotter than all the other controllers I’ve tried. I thought I was going crazy when it was getting warm during set up, but apparently not. Standby temps were indeed higher by a few C and end temps for the 2nd and 3rd run were almost too hot to touch. In comparison, I was on a 30 minute group ride a few weeks back climbing all sorts of hills at 60A in SF with the same set up but with dual focboxes and they were definitely hot. Today, I rode around for 15 minutes on the flattest fucking road in my neighborhood and they were already hot. I have it mounted on an aluminum plate btw. When I was on my 3rd run, I started to smell some burnt smells. Turns out here in San Jose CA everything smells burnt and I was afraid it was the vesc. (It wasn’t but I definitely considered not doing the 3rd run).

-I’m also not a fan of the format of this controller. I’d consider it a vertical vesc, if that even makes sense. While it’s small, it’s looooong so I had to place it sideways and my motor wires were confused with their new acrobatic display. Idk I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Suck my left titty

-You’re pretty much stuck with the remote as the receiver is built into the vesc. (At least for now, I hope) Initially, I loved the remote. On the VX1, the power button is placed farther from your fingers and closer to your thumb, but on this remote, the power button was placed exactly underneath my middle finger when it wrapped around and I accidentally squeezed during acceleration. I was sent flying and I ruined my favorite Filson Tin Jacket. I didn’t have time to crochet a cute wrist strap.

VERDICT
All in all. I was pleasantly surprised with how this turned out. Nice smooth operation and very simple set up and in all honestly, all you really need to do is load up on heat sinks and much more thermal padding.

I believe this controller would be perfect for a small simple commuter build that likes to coast at the lower 20mph range with 50A cont A.

I’d place this just BARELY under the FSESC dual 4.20 + purely because of the lacking of ports, price, and proprietary remote.

Thank you to Nathan over at @Esk8supply for this opportunity and I do plan on doing a review on his dkp DDs and comparing them to elofty DDs.

19 Likes

Thanks for the info would ultimately like to know what reliability is like with the ESC since this is the main factor in buying (along with price), if it is good and cheap I could give up getting it immediately or fast but wouldn’t want to give up extra money or reliability. Would be good to either stress test the crap out of it (run it for a long time ideally with some load) or push it voltage/amperage wise to understand what is too much/breaking point. Obviously only one data point from one source isn’t definitive but helps to add to the bucket of anecdotal evidence that can become of some statistical significance. Have heard enough bad stories about flipsky for example to know I wouldn’t get one right now and enough about enertion to know if I order sometimes it could come in a year or never.

1 Like

What is the price and A ratings on it?

1 Like

Let’s go for a ride :metal:t3::metal:t3:

2 Likes

On https://www.esk8supply.shop/shop,

it’s £160.00 without shipping. ($207.65)
and it’s rated for 60A continuous/300A max, for dual assuming.

2 Likes

I know you’ve already got it installed, but does it have any sort of heat sink on the bottom?

1 Like

It’s kinda cute. @A13XR3

3 Likes

1 Like

Oh BTW what cells is in that 12s3p? Can’t be 30q if you are running 40a per side right?

I also recived mine! first impressions and review coming soon!

I agree!

Same. It’s not a big deal but it’s the little things that count.

5 Likes

Cool, we didn’t realise you guys would mind not having a strap that much. We can order some for the next batch :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry, edited it to be total 40A. Im starting very low because I’m honestly slightly terrified (no offense)

And yea the strap would’ve been a nice addition. I personally throw away all stock wrist straps because I crochet my own but ya know some people can’t be a cool mama jamma like me.

Sorry I didn’t update the review yesterday. I wanted to spend time with my girlfriend, sue me

8 Likes

Just for the record, I do like this controller. I will use this on a smaller build as a campus commuter (I don’t even go to college). I just wouldn’t place it in the same category of vescs that I would use on builds that I prefer building.

3 Likes

Nicely done! Shame it turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag.

6 Likes

That is totally fine! As this controller is supposed to be more for a smaller build (It does have the advantage over esc using the 4.12/ 4.2 firmware in terms of reliability with foc and 12s, while maintaining a similar form factor.

Very sorry about the fail and the loss of your jacket! (RIP) The design should be very similar to the hobbywing remote and I have been using it for months without a problem.

We are testing a controller that is more suitable for big builds, like the flipsky 6.6 with all the ports and stuff. You will be able to unleash the power then.

5 Likes

Isn’t this esc based on the Vesc6 architecture/components ?

1 Like

Yea! It is indeed VESC 6.1 based
@nono_fr

1 Like

Nice review.

I will buy this if the fever improves. Good price because it comes with a remote.

2 Likes