šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

Most epic dude

4 Likes

What happened to it?

1 Like

Completely seized :fire::sob:

1 Like

Not that I didnā€™t expect that, but ugh :frowning:

It was the sit that got it, wasnā€™t it? I used to hose off my boards after riding through brine, spinning up the motors and everything in the hose water, shooting it into every crack, bolthole, and orifice.

Seemed to magically erase the salt experience from history. But only if itā€™s done immediately.

2 Likes

Yeah I tell my winter riders to hose down their motors and spin them up

1 Like

I know this is old topic now but are you serious? Thereā€™s clearly a broken strand on that winding.
Also thermals of epoxy are way better than of air, in a sealed motor design with no airflow this should actually improve temps if anything.

I think the problem is that youā€™re ultimately limited by rate of heat transfer to the air since thatā€™s the only real place for heat to go once everything is saturated. And the metal->air heat transfer is better than the epoxy->air heat transfer.

I guess technically it wouldnā€™t be metal-> air since thereā€™s the wire enamel, but I donā€™t think that changes anything appreciably.

What are the names of these connectors?

LCC30-M

1 Like

I should have known they were Amass by the puke yellow color :rofl:

1 Like

And because it says amass on them?

4 Likes

Stator is bolted to motormount, thatā€™s usually a chunk of metal which usually is very good at conducting heatā€¦

1 Like

Thats really cool, regular MR60s like to vribrate out of their sockets.

The ace of spade

the motor mounts are a constant. Wether or not there is epoxy on the stator does not have an appreciable effect on the heat dissipation due to the motor mounts

or am i misunderstanding your argument here? are you saying battle hardening the stator will improve thermal transfer to the motor mounts which will dissipate it? I thought you were saying epoxy coating the stator would improve thermal transfer to the air directly from the stator?

this is what I say

NO!

also windings in motors are pulled around slightly by magnetic fields, you can prevent that by potting them down, only benefits there are, except production cost ofc

ohhh OK! yeah i think weā€™re in agreement about that then. sorry for the misunderstanding, i didnā€™t mean to misrepresent what you were saying.

On a separate note, how do you think the epoxy will effect thermal transfer between the stator and the air circulating around it? I feel like this is also a significant source of cooling for BLDC outrunners like the ones we use? I feel like it would probably hurt it, and think that definitely counts as a downside.

Weā€™re talking about sealed motors, there is no airflow