Remote and chip set issues

I purchased a DIY kit from Build Kit Boards last month that included some v2 parts, including a kill switch. Everything was great for the first week or so… and then the remote kept losing connectivity when I hit a bump, or sometimes just because. The owner’s communication has been inconsistent at best. I really enjoy this board, but not in it’s current state. Can anyone recommend it suggest a solution? I have a video on my phone showing the issue, but can’t post it here though I attached a photo. (I have more photos)

Thank you in advance for reading and any help you can offer!

First thing you need to do is get some 3m double sided foam tape and secure the components. It’s no surprise that you get cutouts with everything bouncing around. The surprise is that it still works.

Second, take isn’t good enough to secure the PPM cable. I’d use hotglue.

9 Likes

Do you think this will completely solve my issue? I’ve already put some additional money into getting it to the point it’s at, and don’t want to keep throwing money at something that’s not going to work, ya know?

What’s not securing the PPM cable? Note, I did put this together following all the instructions and the owner of Build Kit Boards approved my build before riding.

Maybe glue somehow got into the pins and causing interference. Or maybe if that’s hot glue I’m seeing you might have melted something(?)

1 Like

As instructed by the owner of Build Kit Boards I removed the hot glue from the connector, ensured everything was plugged in completely, and hot glued it again, but the problem continues. As @mmaner said it bouncing around is definitely a huge cause as well. I wish I could post the video I took on this thread

If it were me building it, I would secure everything to the deck with double-sided tape and hot glue and then put foam padding around any component that might move, also under the vesc and RX. After all that’s done, use the enclosure as a cover, ABS really shouldn’t be used to carry weight as it’s not structurally capable.

7 Likes

Hey @buildkitboards can you explain a bit more about what the kill switch is for and how it’s wired? I Wana help him fix his issue but I’m unsure if that is part of the problem here.

1 Like

I tried helping him but i didn’t respond in under 24 hours and he opens a PayPal claim right after I just drove across the country and was exhausted.

That really unmotivates me to help him when he opens a claim “to ensure timely response”.

@ryansinatra The primary AS is to turn everything on and off. The second button is to turn on the receiver because the AS causes a weird startup voltage. Pretty sure that’s not the issue.

@mmaner everything (should be) secured with the included Velcro, so that shouldnt be the issue. When he bounced the esc it threw red fault leds for some reason. Consulting the MFG about the issue, but didn’t reply to him in 4 hours With my very “inconsistent communication”

11 Likes

His communication skills seem to be as poor as his ability to follow directions on how to Velcro lol

2 Likes

Dude already opened up a damn PayPal claim?!

Jesus Christ.

6 Likes

I was pretty sure it had to be something not being said since the kit was from you.

I gotta say @Jeff919, that is not cool. Jared is one of the easiest to work with vendors in the planet. I’ve literally seen him give away gear to people that couldn’t afford to buy, he’s that generous.

Using a PayPal dispute to extort a quick response is both uncool and illegal. It’s likely to get your PayPal account cancelled.

4 Likes

This is what I was referring to here :disappointed_relieved:

@BuildKitBoards had no problem responding when I was happy with the product and once I started having issues like my remote failing in intersections countless times in a few days I heard less and less. I think my frustration is understandable.

Yeah because they are easy responses like “nice”

Not troubleshooting issues with someone half way across the world

2 Likes

Lets drop some common sense here gents please.

Jared can handle his own CS issue and I’m not sure he needs loads of people standing up for his birthrights :joy:

2 Likes

Loads means something different to Brits? :grinning:

Preemptive

1 Like

I really have to agree with @mmaner and the others that have commented about the state of the parts in the enclosure. Best practice is using velcro or some other fastening method to attach the components to the deck, using the enclosure as a cover.

The main things I would be worried about are the receiver, which appears to kind of be velcro-d to the side? And the VESC, which seems to just be floating. I mean hell you could use bubble wrap to insulate from vibrations and that would provide a better environment for your electronics. Vibrations destroy things and I always hotglue and fully pad my electronics.

All that aside. The fact of the matter is that you did indeed buy a kit, so there I feel there is some level of self-skill involved in it, don’t take it all out on the owner, who I am sure was trying his best to be reasonable with you. Blah blah whatever he doesn’t need defense, maybe not but still, Paypal claim is not cool. You bought the kit, and have it in your possession, why file a claim? Not cool bruh

Fully pad things and post some close up pictures and maybe we will get somewhere with this troubleshooting.

1 Like

@mmaner PayPal was happy to return my money for the item not being as described, and my PayPal account has not been removed or penalized. Though adding version 2 parts in the box sounds like doing someone a favor it’s more important to supply your customer with the product they asked for, not what you think they’ll want.