Refinishing Motors

I am repairing a backfire G2 for a friend of mine. The board is badly rusted in spots so I am removing all metal components, removing any rust, and repainting. The motor cans, while not rusted, are badly dinged up from years of abuse. There are many pits from small rocks hitting the motors etc. Is there any way to refinish this? If I can’t remove the pitting I’m just going to put a fresh coat of paint on it and call it a day.

1 Like

Are the motors still functional? is the better question

5 Likes

Rustolium rust remover jell. $8 at home depot. After it does the magic wipe it all down with some steel wool. If the motors can be made to spin at this time you can use that as a mini lathe and really polish it up before painting.

Don’t forget to replace motor bearings when you’re all done. If the board is in that bad of condition, the bearings have to be about shot as well.

5 Likes

Motors work perfectly.

2 Likes

I prefer Krud Kutter rust remover. Works the best IMO. I don’t need to derust the motors though, just the other parts and hardware. I would replace the motors but I don’t have time right now. There is little play and no noise so they will work fine for now.

1 Like