RedEmber/DIYvolve 4wd build/mod for Barrett Junction

I’ll probably never move back to California lol.

3 Likes

Like living there? Not coming down in summer for me maybe?

1 Like

I’m down to visit.
Hopefully I’ll be able to make it down there when you’re there.

2 Likes

I hope so. As said earlier, August 26th to September 10th. be aware of some hiking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welp, no way in hell I make it to barret junction :disappointed_relieved: My young ass ain’t making it this year, maybe to Bakersfield (I think) race thing…

Board looks sick! This is some real diy that’s for sure!

2 Likes

@davidbonde

Bc the 44 has a long neck, I chose to drill holes.

On the CGT, I used the truck mounting hardware. No new holes, probably fractionally more precise feeling bc it’s metal on metal, transmitting force directly to the trucks. I bet if you were an aggressive heavyweight rider, you could feel a little flex if you mounted them to wood.

You can bend the steel freebord plates if you desire a different angle (see lacroix nazare, I’ll bend that one later. )

You Could grind YOBIS posts where it bolts to base plate for a different angle.

They weight almost the same, freebord plastic hook has a little more flex.

The lastest yobis revision is pretty damn good. If I had a 3D printer I’d print them and order base plates laser cut from Sendcutsend.com

11 Likes

Perfect @Arzamenable thanks. It looks like it’s no problem mounting them on top of the drop. Thought it might too high from the platform. Think I will go with the Yobis then.

2 Likes

Mechanically intact.

Need to make wiring harness. I’ll show guts this evening.

Yes, my Esc leads are to short :roll_eyes:.

11 Likes

@Arch
I’m a growing boy! I don’t need lunch boxes anymore.

(California ‘20)

(Colorado’19)

@jamie it weighs in at 40lbs. I’ll try to shoot for 44lbs with fancy lights. I have some serious carbon fiber and glass work ahead. :grimacing:

11 Likes

I’m looking forward to see this in person.

4 Likes

Dayum. And I thought my 48" deck was fat @ 38#.

Need to build bigger :muscle:

2 Likes

@jamie
Any advice for how one might restore the beautiful piano black finish? (Asking for a friend :grimacing:)

Also is this aluminum stupid? Not the looks, but in design and intent?

I do heat lipos up on speed runs (seen 95f once) The top sits directly over packs, pressing them down on to a slab of Delrin/Pom that in turn sits on top of thin yoga mat and automotive sound deadening material.

Is this going to be a liability in the summer sun. Science people And wise ones? @shartis @Venom121212 @MoeStooge?

If it were matte black would that help or hinder tendency to heat up in sun?

4 Likes

I think painting it white would make it heat up less, because black objects (roads, enclosures etc) heat up since the color black absorbs heat…

2 Likes

… but I would still drive a black 911 with broken AC through the desert to Vegas in July than drive a white Prius.

Mirrored finish?

6 Likes

The only time I have heated lipo’s is when approaching the max C rating.
Basically a bottlenecking of the battery.
Lipos need to be between 32 f and 120 f according to somewhere I read.
If you have a generous amp gap i wouldnt worry about lipo temps.

3 Likes

Matte black will absorb more light and heat up more. Gloss will stay cooler.

Shouldn’t be anywhere near hot enough to transfer through the deck thickness.

If anything, light reflecting off the tarmac at your enclosure would heat it up.

Well aside from the electronics

1 Like

It’s simple, but not easy. Remove all hardware. sand to bare wood, re-stain, refinish.

4 Likes

Got that. What brand/type paint was the top coat

1 Like

Mirrored would look dope as hell…

What year 911?

Noob question here…

The 44 was intended to have motors facing inboard, hence the long neck?

Right ? I should just do this right?

7 Likes