Recommendations for a prebuilt for my son?

Pre-owned Metroboard is my suggestion

Or if you can find one, a preowned LHB or other custom builder thatā€™s reputable

3 Likes

I do really like my Revel personally. The only thing I donā€™t like about it versus belts is the lower clearance, but if your roads arenā€™t horrible, itā€™s a great option.

The remote is unique and easy to use, and the kit itself is super predictable and overally probably one of the smoothest experiences I have had. The swapable batteries is nice too as well as the ability to switch decks.

Besides ground clearance, the only other thing to be aware of is that it can go on pretty much any deck (which is awesome) except for ones that have a drop.

Range realistically on the revel kit standard battery for a ~150lb rider is max 10 miles cruising, about 15 miles max cruising on the ER battery. Not really a huge deal though because you could swap the battery out in about 30 seconds

1 Like

but what about the hour and a half of wrecking a burger/coffee/smoothie joint and giving the staff hell by tripping breakers and generally clogging up the joint? I really thought that was a critical part of esk8 group rides.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll be your huckleberry(have one I should probably part with :crazy_face: )

2 Likes

can verify i would service it with free labor for life but batteries are an every two year investment.

also they seem to hold thier resale value, so even a 2017 might be a bit out of price range.

8 Likes

@BenjaminF :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

that brings back the nostalgia hard my man.

4 Likes

@Nacho comes in here with the right answer LoL.z

Yeah I second that. Buy that Metroboard from @BenjaminF

3 Likes

For real, flashbacks to the metroboard being the first non-crappy affordable board (imo)

ā€¦ that is single drive and still outruns some chinaboards

4 Likes

Dude, they seem like a solid fun kit. I had a 4wd kit with extra batteries in my cart in early June, but they no respond to my emails so I went elsewhere. It wasnt meant to be :sob:

1 Like

That period of time was pretty tough communication wise. Iā€™ll not disclose information about it publicly, but there as a ton of stuff going on that month that made getting to all of the emails quite difficult.

Did you end up turning away just becaues no one was responding? Itā€™s a fair point, just unfortunate timing. I think Revel has gotten better communication wise, but itā€™s been a busy summer over there.

3 Likes

People seem to love the new backfire zealot quite a bitā€¦ never had a china board personally but they seem to be improving every year. Plus you can find one on offerup for like $300

4 Likes

For sure, yeah made it hard to drop 1600$ with a new company, I get it, hold no ill will. I think its been a wild year for most eskate companies. Covid made people get creative to get outside.

Check out the BKB Duo! You can build it with your son so you both can learn about how electric skateboards work :slight_smile:

The system is completely modular so you can tinker/upgrade things as you wish, and if anything does go wrong with the board we can just send replacement parts. It is super easy to fix, because YOU built it and know how everything works!

7 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: @bikeMike this kind of bonding with your kid is hard to pass up. I will warn you though, you may end upā€¦ years from nowā€¦ letting him have half your garage. My son Jake has his own bench and sometimes i think its better than mine.

8 Likes

ā€¦ but when he moves outā€¦ iā€™ll have the best battery bench everā€¦ sorry iā€™m doing it again.

2 Likes

Or BKB tayto if he likes short boards

@longhairedboy Iā€™m thankful we forgo these smoothie joints for establishments with proper adult beverages :pray: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Barrelling 15 miles down a trail at 25-30 then stopping for beer is the best group ride formula i think.

3 Likes

FIFY
I dont condone thisā€¦

3 Likes

I appreciate the edit and accept it as an improvement.