Real world test setups

Dont know if this would pick up. I’m interested in knowing how people do their tests on and off the test bench.
What do you do for bench tests?
How long before you try it out?
Do you just ride and pray?
Do you look for specific sounds or actions?
How long do you run your test or tests?
What do you use to verify everything?
When do you verify these things?
When do you consider you have tested enough?
Do you use special settings for the test?
Are you scared during the tests?
Any advice you’d give to future builders or even current ones?

3 Likes

Depends what it is I’m testing. If its something I soldered like a VESC, Its the standard current limit on the DC-box on first power up. fix bootloader and firmware -> Run detection and some motors to see that everything seems normal.

If its a new board/setup, I never really run experimental hardware. But if I do, like the cheap focer or the mini FOCers, I’d probably start with conservative settings after passing detection etc. If it passes the maiden voyage I’d increase the limits.

Sounds are generally heard at first setup. If something is loose that couldn’t be heard on the bench its usually discovered on the first ride.

I’m more concered with the BMS/battery setup. I usually do one charge cycle to see that everything seems normal. Finger check to see if anything is hot etc.

I normally open up each board atleast once a year to check cell levels and maybe clean some debris/dust that made it into the enclosure. Re-grease any gear drive and re-tighthen everything.

Havn’t manage to wear out any pneus yet. But once the pattern seem minimal I’d recommend changing them. Vedder ran his way too long and broke his foot 180 degrees due to a tire poping to wear.

Advice to future/firstbuilders is that you’re never fully educated and be humble when dealing with electronics. Always have 25% headroom on any specified limits and read up on the forums.

3 Likes

I’m new but i always check all the bolts, remote connection,the trucks and deck for signs of stress, and then i strap it to a table and listen for abnormal noises from the board

1 Like

Usually if it doesn’t sound right, its not right. not always but usually.

IMO metr is an valuable tool for verifying that everything is working right. it allows in ride monitoring of motor currents, voltages and internal temperatures.

Never. every time you change something you should be cautious, but also stuff breaks over time.

Im always conscious that a DIY build could cut out at any moment. I always try to make sure that i have enough braking distance or a emergency ditch place in mind if i have a problem (eg. i go slower if there no grass verge or bush to ditch in, wont go fast down a hill that doesn’t have run-out space at the end).

It sounds over cautious but i once had a remote failure at top of a hill. I was able to ride it out but it scared the shit outa me. I got lucky with traffic but im never putting myself in that situation again.

No. you pad up, ride and pray.

If your not a little scared then you have become complacent and that the main cause of accidents.

“Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure”

6 Likes

Boom stopper for first time connecting the battery.

First ride, turn all telemetry on and just go a few feet. Check everything, then go a few yards and recheck. It’s very very tempting to keep going on the first test, but stopping and checking will save many heartbreaks that can take weeks to fix due to shipping from china.

1 Like

Chuck everything in the enclosure and shake vigorously for 2 minutes.

Ride that bitch

7 Likes