Raptor owners scavenge grounds

Never had one to check but all the hubs can be converted as DD
Easier that from outrunner for sure. The only thing that would stop me is the crazy amount of energy they draw. I remember something like 45watt/mile. That could be explained by to high Kv and therefore too high current to try to catch up in torque, but I think default unity set up is 60A motor so nothing crazy. Other things is a high internal resistance that will bring to easy heat production and then higher energy demanding. To be honest do not know why they sticked with these hubs. With all the money they invested in it. I think they are one of the main reason why they failed.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Pallet jack is the whole device.

Or do you mean just the roller wheels?

1 Like

that is a pallet jack.

2 Likes

Turns out the Wizards ahead of the curve.

16 Likes

That’s like @kook did for some other hubs

3 Likes

If they are crap as a hub they will be crap as a DD, they don’t heat up because they are a hub, but because they are badly designed, the loses will still be the same, the consumption will still be ridiculously

5 Likes

Yep agree… If you start from crap, can not became great.

3 Likes

Better put those up on a 7 day auction, cause unobtainium

2 Likes

New plan, the hubs are already hot enough on their own.

5 Likes

Aren’t those raptor trucks supposed to have integrated heat pipes or something like that?

2 Likes

I’ve been giving the hubs away, I haven’t spent any actual money on Raptor2 parts and it would feel shitty profiting off limited availability parts that are kinda crap to begin with.

I tried to sell one of sets of raptor hubs I have, nearly brand new, for $225 and they still wouldn’t sell
I don’t blame people for not wanting them. Kinda a liability

8 Likes

They have, but they are solving the problem completely the wrong way

Any thermal system can be modeled as resistances in series, if you have one high resistance, doesn’t matter how low you make the others, the overall thermal resistance will still be high

The stator is steel, not good thermal conductivity, the fins on the hanger are a joke, both have high thermal resistance, and them you put a single heat pipe in the middle and say it will help. Going further, take a look at some CPU coolers, even the basic ones have multiple heat pipes, and they are dealing with 100 W at peak, a Raptor hub produces around 180 W of heat loss at full current

7 Likes

That’s is really interesting, i confess that I don’t have the knowledge to visualize what you are describing but I think I can grasp the general idea thanks.

2 Likes

Just imagine that you have a wall, and you want as much heat as possible to pass to the other side, because the more heat can flow, the less the temperature will rise on the hot side

Imagine half of the thickness is brick and half aluminum, and to make it better you switch aluminum to copper, that conducts a little better. In the end that change didn’t make any difference because the brick is still poor on conducting the heat

9 Likes

Ok, that makes lots of sense and I can see what you mean now.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Awesome!

How were these hub motors designed?

Was it solely the work of JP or did he get any professional help/input?

Does anyone have the background?

On a combination of ketamine and dmt with a splash of bath salts and ego.

18 Likes