random CAD Dump update 4/7/21

modeling sweeps and curved objects is tough to start with. Generally it comes down to cutting it into slices where you can direct it.

1 Like

get a good top view and side view of the board.
sketch one quarter of the board from the topview sketch.

extrude the sketch to the required thickness.
realign the extruded body. I find it to be easier to center/align the extrusion then to do it with the sketch/canvas. this is just my way of doing things.

mirror on x/y axies.

this body is just for the purpose of getting the basic shape of the board and for getting it perfectly aligned.
create form is what I used to get the concave for the deck.
make sure you have several images of the board from multiple sides so you can get a better idea of what the concave of the deck should be like. I own this deck so I had it in front of me to measure and I was constantly rotating it around in my hands to get the shape right. the create form tool is kinda difficult to use I’d recommend watching a video on youtube. it really helps.

thicken it then cut it using the face of the flat body from earlier. I use intersect for this.

15 Likes

Cool. I got much to learn. thanks.

4 Likes

@SpeedDemon any chance you can do step export of FSESC4.20 single?
Have looked how to convert and i need F360, real pain in the but. Weird how inventor cant import f3d

FSESC 4.2 50A Single v7.step (409.3 KB)

3 Likes

Wow, that was quick. Much appreciated mate :+1:

1 Like

That’s intense, thanks for posting.

Modeling organic shapes like boards is beyond me still. Someday, maybe. :+1:

2 Likes

Everything can be made simple within the bounds of reason

1 Like

I’ll have a few months of no land to skate, my laptop, and so much time, that I’ll either come back with plans to fly and foil, or it’s open season in the “engineering 101, no stupid questions” post I’ll likely make (for me to ask stupid questions).

2 Likes

Well, damn. I bet I could use the same thread…

Couple of other threads I have been needing of

2 Likes

You spell “loft” funny

1 Like

There’s a youtube video “how to model a shoe” or something like that. Watch that video if you can successfully replicate the results then you should be able to make almost any organic shape.

2 Likes

Funny I was about to respond to @jack.luis saying something about how I tried to learn a big new scary design program like bender but I got scared.

This the vid?

2 Likes

This is it Modeling a Shoe in Fusion 360 - YouTube

2 Likes

I remember having to make a shoe in my HighSchool CADA class, wasnt fun lol

2 Likes

It should be much easier in blender since that program is designed for organic modeling and sculpting. Cad programs are way more difficult when it comes to making organic shapes but they have the benifit of being very accurate. You’d have a lot of trouble making something functional with blender because you can’t measure tolerances/scale in bender(that I know of)

1 Like

I feel like we are needing a general CAD chat on this forum. I was thinking a separate one for CAM/Design for manufacturing questions for people trying to produce parts after designed in the CAD thread lol.

Then after that a thread full of people to CNC the thing you designed and all that. haha the full rip.

1 Like

I think this was the point of the exercise but I dont remember well, highschool was a while ago

1 Like

goes great with our massive threads of part files, like this one. That can be left unspoiled of this these general CAD chats.

shut up, I watch Ian Huberts lazy blender tutorials with breaks of Capt disillusionment vids the same way I watched tales of crypt with jumps to nick at night shows in primary school. why? bc that shit was harder than what I was ready for. someday.

1 Like