PSA: Change to Fusion360 licensing.

I think I always knew it would happen - Fusion360 was too good to be true! I’ve got to hand it to them - they got me started in CAD\CAM and now I’m going to pay for their service because it’s where I’m most comfortable.

I wish that Autocad was a little better about notification - it’s a real mess to log into Fusion360 after a few weeks and find that you can’t log in! The turnover happening on 10/1/2020 seems really rapid.

Anyone who uses F360 in earnest has way more than 10 docs - I wonder exactly how difficult the “archive” feature is going to be? Anyone use it yet?

1 Like

Yeah luckily with Apex we qualify for it. I’m still on the personal licence but @ducktaperules already made the switch to startup.

2 Likes

It’s high time you send an anonymous donation their way :smirk:

2 Likes

Somehow I ended up with a student licence, and I’ve not had to renew in the two years since I started using it.

Hope it keeps up.

AUGHHH wtffff I have like over 100 or more files in my account at least! this is going to be a pain

Right now as long as I can export to stl I am okay but once I get a cnc I guess I’ll be paying rip

Edit: hmmmm apparently I still have an education license. I wonder how long that will last

1 Like

Good. I’m handing you my deck drawings from now on.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’d really appreciate a new tier for the users theyre dealing with. We all sort of abuse the free options in a lot of cases. But now if I dont want the new environment, I need to spend the same amount as a guy buying a license to use this 40hrs a week.

4 Likes

exactly. A hobbyist tier would be a good answer to this and would have prevented a lot of the fallout we are seeing over social media. I cant do the maths but I reckon it would probably net them more money than the current way they are going about it.

I read that last year Autodesk made $250,000,000 profit - feels a bit greedy to me.

4 Likes

3rd party plugin to export entire projects in STEP, IGES ecc… I thought it can be usefull to quickly back up your N^ files on a local memory before the limitation.

BTW Fusion extended the possibility to export in STEP, IGES… until end of January 2021. It will be possible from your account online project page.

4 Likes

I expected this tbh

I wouldn’t mind paying if fusion was a package that didn’t constantly feel like a beta.

3 Likes

:call_me_hand:t5: :call_me_hand:t5: :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

Honestly I have been using Fusion for everything from CAD, CAM, pcb…
The reason why feels like a beta software is because is improving so fast that version can not keep up. That being said for the price is unbelivable what you get. I have tried different softwares and everyone has pros and cons, but never found an all in 1 software like Fusion. I am also not happy of the changes but I understand why they did it. I would like a 70-100 Euro hobby license pro but that won’t happen

3 Likes

@Creavenger my application for a startup licence was approved thank god, you get it for a year at a time and its reviewed at the end of your term.

4 Likes

Great, its a nice solution for startups. I applied but still waiting for a reply, dont see a reason why they would decline me though :grin:

3 Likes

uuugh so what’s a good cheap/free alternative? tinkercad is poo. openscad is a bit too intense. I like F360 but for the amount of time I spend in it, $300+/yr is way way too much.

This might make the move to linux desktop just a bit easier…

2 Likes

Just FYI for anyone looking for alternative I’m a huge fan of onshape have to be okay with everything being public domain but if that isn’t a deal breaker for you nothing to install and there is a non-commercial version for free (might have to dig around they want you to get the paid version obviously)

If want really free freecad I think is the only open source parametric modelling that is gui based or can use openscad but takes quite a bit of learning.

I started off learning basics of 3d modelling using blender as well open source and free but no real parametric concepts built into it (though I think some plugins to help)

3 Likes

gonna give it a go, thanks.

Sigh it’s hard to complain about free stuff, but I did invest a lot of learning time in F360. Probably just enough to be frustrated with other software…

I’ll probably give freecad a decent go too. I really hate being locked in. Every day I’m doing more and more OSS and r/selfhosted.

3 Likes

They have a decent phone app for quick and simple parts, when you have nothing else on hand works great

4 Likes