PSA: Be super careful with TorqueBoards Direct Drives, almost got very injured again with them

this may have been hasty, but @b264’s reco% may prove useful to others that experience this

1 Like

The retaining nut on my eLofty DDs backed out slowly and eventually lodged against the wheel core last year, causing me a minor biff.

Like you, I was surprised this could happen. But it just drove home the message that occasional checks are part of this hobby. (Cue the @b264 minivan.)

9 Likes

At EOD, I don’t expect the motor in my Porsche to fall off the mounts :man_shrugging: but I’m an idiot sometimes so I have no idea

2 Likes

Porsche is not DIY.

Kit airplane is DIY.

6 Likes

Point is, it’s silly to compare this situation to car driving

But I’ll let this die, I learned something new, will loctite everything even when it comes assembled

7 Likes

If I were you, I would expect your motor to fall from mounts unless your Porsche is not a rebranded Toyota

But Brian is right, this is DIY, and from logical point of view, the only person responsible for your board is you.

Peace

1 Like

Sure, the board is DIY. The motors are not DIY assembly, as illustrated by dex’s response.

2 Likes

are we talking about the axle unscrewing or the motor failing?

1 Like

Wrong…

Very, very wrong…

I really want to respect your opinions dude. But your stuck in 1996 where we fucked up majorly. It’s like your that bad 80’s Dad that just didn’t learn shit over the years.

3 Likes

Nah. Dude bought a finished product. If you’re telling me if I bought a tesla, I’d have to wire the battery to make sure it’s safe to drive, you’re living in a weird world.

Fuck that.

Betcha Dexter just fixes this. He’s done way worse for me.

24 Likes

At least you got a response from @torqueboards. I have tried contacting him several times for my TBesc replacement close to a month w no response. He received my defective unit on Dec 1st.

Sorry to derail. Glad you’re ok.

11 Likes

This is a serious quality control issue and TB needs to take measures immediately to ensure it doesn’t happen in the future.

8 Likes

If you can’t tighten or check your equipment before you ride as a due diligence. I wouldn’t recommend buying our products. Last I want is anyone hurt.

6 Likes

Yup +1
If it is delivered assembled, it needs to be delivered assembled correctly.
If that means Loctite on threads, prolly not had to do in the factory when they put em together…

8 Likes

If you can’t manage decent quality control on products that people risk their lives on, I recommend you go out of business.

18 Likes

Come on Dex…

We know you don’t want anyone hurt. You’re one of us. But I mean if those DD’s aren’t sent loctited and up to QC, how the fuck do you expect anyone to buy that shit. Don’t you have random dudes buying shit from Facebook or the internet of all places? They wouldn’t ever know how or where to check beforehand! These forums are kind of a hidden gem after the fact.

40 Likes

@worldismine772

If this doesn’t get resolved, I’ll put some of my own $$$ up and do my best to get you skating down the road. 2020 did me well and I’d like to help somebody out this year.

It’s a thing. I swear.

37 Likes

and yes, they are meant to just be bolted on, there is no recommendation of making sure his factory did things correctly, which when you type sounds absurd that you’d even have to do that, these aren’t $200

21 Likes

I have several boards, it’s ok if this one is broken, but you are an example of how great this community is <3

23 Likes

Why the hell did this turn into a dumpster fire so quickly

Look the point is there are both sides of the argument and both sides are right. As a DIY’er, check your boards before you ride. It’s like preflight checks in a plane

As a vendor, send shit assembled with the appropriate amount of loctite. I’ve been easy on TB in the past but this is not safe. It’s one of their few current products that does come assembled. That being said, it’s nice that Dex came to say he would check on it at least.

@worldismine772 maybe chill just a tiny bit, you don’t need to wish they go out of business.

10 Likes