Power Cutoff when accelerating

Has the ESC been configured? This isn’t an optional step.

4 Likes

In vesc tool? No I haven’t used the program at all yet. The esc was configured using the unity android app and I use the LTT xiaoxiang smart bms app. Until now it’s worked fine except for the occasional stalling issue.

I think I configured vesc tool except I don’t know what to use for these settings. The absolute max current was set when I calibrated it so I don’t know if thats too high. I don’t want to fry anything.

1 Like

Run before you can crawl and such.

Vesc firmware treats the unity like two escs (one per motor).

If you want 100 battery amps, you have to set 50 per side. If you want 80 phase amps per motor, you have to set each motor at motor. To access the other side you can either do it from the CANBUS menu bottom left or the can forwarding button right sidebar.

2 Likes

I fucking hate that 45A rating.

You’ll get the best results keeping p42a at about 25A in my opinion. You can push to 30A, but the sag is real.

For a 5p pack at 25A per cell, you’re looking at 125A total, 62.5A per side.

5 Likes

I tried lowering the absolute max to 200a but when I went to save a pop up window said the value was truncated (lowered) to whats allowed or something then it changed it back to 400a. Wtf?

Since the android app wont save adjustments i will have to open the enclosure every time to make adjustments. That sucks.

Do these settings look safe?

25A for what setting? 62.5A for motor max?

1 Like

Don’t do this unless you know what you’re doing. Just leave that number alone.

1 Like

Not for a setting in VESC Tool, for a calculation you make.

No, he’s talking about a battery.

Electric skateboards aren’t safe. At all. You might die. Wear a helmet.

Try

motor max 80A (each motor)
motor min -60A (each motor) (low speed brake strength)
battery max 40A (each motor) (or 62.5A as @glyphiks said)
battery min -17A (each motor) (high speed brake strength)
absolute maximum current (don’t touch)
max erpm (don’t touch)

In the advanced section, lower “Fault Timeout” to 85ms and set “Duty Cycle Max” to 95% and “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” to 85%

Then save.

Then, do ALL OF THAT (except the helmet) again for the other motor.

When numbers are negative, they have to be negative.

6 Likes

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Mboards instructions said all builds should use 80,000 erpm. Should I recalibrate and leave the erpm at the original figure? I think it was like 100,000. Same with absolute max. It was around 401A.

Oh I know they aren’t safe. Ive been riding for 4 years and always gear up. I meant safe so I dont fry the hardware.

That’s an erpm limit. 80k erpm is the “limit” for older v4 hardware. A normal 12s setup isn’t getting near that. Leave it at 100k

1 Like

Disregard MBoards, and leave that setting alone. They don’t know what they’re talking about.

4 Likes

Well i thought I was done so I tested the motors with the remote but one of them kept making a crackling sound when id press full throttle. I thought maybe because I had to invert both motors. My phase wires were combined into one connector per set of three wires and the connectors only work one way so I couldn’t switch them around either to avoid inverting them.

I got fed up and reinstalled the unity firmware. Now my motors run smooth without the crackling. My motors are inverted in this app too.

Any ideas why that happened?

Firmware issues

It’s fine once you take it off the bench, set the wheels on the ground, and stand on it.

Since my last post i burned out a motor on New Year’s Eve hauling butt around this lake but anyways I ended up replacing both motors. I figured the motor was failing and thats why it was stalling but its still doing it. Ive since reinstalled vesctool and ridden several times trying to make adjustments after each ride including traction control but nope. Any ideas?

I also gave the wrong specs. I have a 12s7p and the torqueboard 6380 190kv 95a motors.

I assume to get max power from my motors i should set my motor max to 95a and 87.5a for battery max since I have a 7p.

Now I’m thinking the motor is stalling when im stopped at an incline and I try to accelerate. Maybe I’m too heavy for the motors and with the incline its too much for them to handle so they stall/slip for a second. Is that possible? Is there a setting in vesctool to help with this?

I weight 190lbs and most of my weight is generally in the back. My experience comes from snowboarding so I just naturally lean back like im trying to float over some powder.

Should be trying to keep weight over your front foot while riding. Shift weight to the back when braking. Otherwise keeping your weight over the back while riding is a recipe for speed wobbles

2 Likes

Ive been riding this way for years. No wobbles.