OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote for ESK8 - [LEGACY}

I’ve held both of Andrews pucks :laughing:
Both the bamboo and plastic puck felt great in the hand.
Think ill prefer this Throttle over the wheel tho.

3 Likes

@DerelictRobot so what are the main differences with Hoyt?

I feel like this would be better for dealing with the cyclists

ComplexPowerlessLabradorretriever-size_restricted

Built in expandable baton

8 Likes

Remote is rechargeable… Tazer upgrade?

4 Likes

Just filled out the form, super excited for this.

3 Likes

For starters the Throttle hes using is definitely higher quality. The hoyt feels grest but this is more than a few steps above.
Feels like something off a really nice flight stick.

4 Likes

I signed up not sure if too late

The puck concept is interesting, I wondering if you could make them resilient, strong & thin enough with 3D material in a way which allow a slimline real puck to be Velcro’d to it then the other side Velcro’d to the glove. Call it Puykd

That would kill

1 Like

As much as i want a remote to slide with im not sure i wanna put a $200 remote through that abuse.
We actually have some ideas on how to address a mostly hands free remote to allow a true slide puck to stay in your hands.
But thats not happening until after these initial designs.

6 Likes

For the trigger remote, does the acceleration (squeeze) and braking (push) have roughly the same travel? Also it looks like to brake you’d need to push “out and up” versus just “out”. With gloves on, that might be awkward. I haven’t held the prototype, but I was wondering if maybe it should be mounted further down the arc so that your finger pulls and pushes in and out versus trying to go sideways to apply brake.

Is the finger hole big enough to get my meatsticks in while wearing gloves?

1 Like

I don’t think hes actually modified one of the Throttles into a trigger yet so the drawings are just a rough idea.
Definitely want room to ride with gloves on.

2 Likes

A remote that is potted apart from moving parts @ battery, although it would need a small screen like the original firefly mounted on the side like the thumb throttle

1 Like

Will this have a second channel, like for bell, lights toggle, or horn?

4 Likes

I was thinking something were the majority of parts are mounted on the back of hand or on wrist.
Something like
SX425

Quickest example i could find

3 Likes

I don’t really have the trigger designed at all, and still need to figure out how much I’m going to eat in tooling costs. I don’t use them enough to confidently design one for the Trigger folks, what you see in my renders is something I took about 90 seconds to draw. That’s why I’m asking for picture examples of what you like best.

The thumbwheel/trigger is a modular unit, so exact mounting angle and position of the unit itself is totally customizable. I don’t expect to one-shot that design and I’ll be releasing the 3D models before we even get the beta officially rolling for feedback/iterations. The forward/reverse range of motion is 50/50 on the standard offering, though they may have other options (I also have a 0/100 version as a sample).

I mean it’s funny you mention that because that’s exactly what these guys make. :wink:

Yeah we’ve discussed this a bit. I like this idea but I feel like I’d want to pot all the internals and ditch the LCD entirely to do it right.

I should probably mention that the beta is essentially being offered as the internal PCB, modular thumbwheel unit, and battery. We’ll figure something out for the beta testers without printers, but the intention here is for people to be able to print their own Grip enclosure. So you could easily print the Nano and the Puck and try both- that’s the whole point of them being modular and open source. If you picked up a Trigger Thumbwheel module as an extra you could play with all three designs. I hope others come up with their own styles/variants too.

Each radio module is it’s own programmable microcontroller. This is totally doable and something I had intended for final release on the advanced receiver. The basic will likely not have this because in order to do it right I’ll need a beefy step down vreg to 12v and some mosfets to handle some decent lumens lights.

3 Likes

I meant just the capability to transmit a second PWM (PPM) channel. Using that channel to do anything should be the job of something besides a remote receiver. I just used those as examples. I’m thinking momentary here, not switches. Like the wheel on a Mini Remote.

2 Likes

The radio module is a fully programmable microcontroller. It has 12 digital IOs and can produce PWM.

There is no momentary OR on/off output. It can be either. That’s what I’m saying, it’s a complete non-issue.

These are nothing like anything being used in esk8 today. These are aimed at IoT devices, they’re often used as Wireless mesh sensory nodes. Hell you can load specific security certs onto them. Totally different ballgame, but that’s what you get from a modern $25/pc advanced radio module.

I put a 10-bit ADC on the actual remote PCB, so that’s up to 4 analog inputs that can double as button inputs.

3 Likes

I understand what a fully programmable microcontroller is. I’m just saying that 99% of folks don’t have time or knowledge to write a bunch of C99 modules to drive their second channel.

They just want one that has it already.

2 Likes

If you want a second wheel to control pwm output it’s very easily done. Probably the easiest way to implement it is to just tie the 2nd ADC input channel directly to a secondary pwm output on the receiver.

This kind of stuff is just dead simple, and something I already had intended on doing as it’s a basic feature already found on existing remotes.

I intended on having different loadout profiles for people to choose configurations with.

Appreciate the input!

3 Likes

I think if we distill down all the possible features of an esk8 remote, the ones that matter are…

1. Robust trigger
    a. thumb and/or finger
  2. Basic telemetry
    b. speed
    c. voltage and/or % battery left
  3. removable battery w/ long runtime

If you can also add data logging to the remote you’ve literally just made the holy grail of esk8 remotes.

11 Likes

I would disagree with that. No “holy grail” would lack the second channel :wink:

2 Likes