rideNEO GitHub, GPL contribution discussion (SERIOUS)

Today I setup Github page for rideneo and we share code and schematic for both esc for license keeping.

We already share fork for vesc tool and bldc code and schematic we make later today for upload.

41 Likes

Just curious, what made you decide to fork the VESC tool? Did you see better results on the neoBOX with the fork vs the official tool?

2 Likes

I just make copy for anyone need because need sharing this.

My engineer make compile later also for any need download. Also not all want to put detail for vesc site running by @Trampa because not trusting.

We make link today for donate direct to ben.

27 Likes

There’s no changes. Probably just using it as a link to the tool.

8 Likes

Maybe where will some improvements in the future?:thinking:

1 Like

Jeff, if you flash firmware onto the devices, or provide binary download to vesc tool, the word VESC is trademarked/copyrighted. You may need to reword all mentions of vesc, and remove artwork. Maybe…

Or alternatively don’t flash firmware, let the users do it themselves…

6 Likes

The git repo has graphics and the word vesc occurs many times. I think it’s okay as soure but not as binary? Not sure.

1 Like

You wake up frank now :expressionless:

25 Likes

I’m sorry! But he would have come anyway…

5 Likes

I love that you are aware this Frank thing is an event that happens :upside_down_face::joy:

8 Likes

The VESC-Project website is run by Benjamin Vedder! We have no affiliation into the software part. We help Benjamin to improve it and test it and send feedback and sponsor R&D work. The software is free to use for everyone and is maintained and serviced by Vedder who developed it over the past 10 years and who knows every single corner of the code base.

9 Likes

Flashing the FW is fine as long as you do the following:

10 Likes

But you show me screen picture from website showing order of people not donate money. So you having access for this.

I no have time for listen you @Trampa, you making my head hurt listen to you. Please don’t cluttering my post.

31 Likes

I wish I did have popcorn and some beers now

11 Likes

I do help a bit to remove spam from the forums and do some documentation and the likes.
VESC-Project is a huge task and people can’t expect Benjamin Vedder to do everything himself.
Just 4 years back we only had BLDC Tool. Look where we are today!
The workload is already beyond any scale Jeff. It is a tremendous amount of work.

You benefit from all the work, so you should have an interest to help Vedder to improve the software.
Just have a look what has happened in 2019: 1000+ hours of work on the software side.

• VESC-Tool App with nearly all VESC-Tool features and a nice cockpit.
  • Profiles tune your board with one simple button on the fly.
  • Pairing to avoid other users logging into VESC
  • give the device /board a name
  • Use phone as a bridge to the computer ( TCP bridge)
  • Data logging and open street maps integration
  • logging file browser ( new since 1.26)
  • SWD PROG to rescue bricked devices and use ESC as a programmer (black magic)
  • self balancing for unicycles and maybe crazy wheelies
  • UAV CAN
  • new motor and input device wizards
  • quick pairing for NRF remotes
  • FOC open loop motor detection
  • simultaneous FW upload with compression and code verification
  • simultaneous motor setup in Wizards for all ESCs in a CAN setup.
  • Smart Reverse
  • Hysteresis Reverse
  • Experiments Box
  • multiple bootloader upload via USB
  • Cockpit and RT-Data display
  • IMU integration
  • multiple new chipsets supported
  • new motor sensors support like the TS5700N8501 encoder.
  • and all the little things under the hood that no on sees but improve things a lot.

Everything is fully backwards compatible and third party compatible BTW.

Also one thing as a side note: PM means PM Jeff.

1 Like

Is not possible to help because code is not manage in a way that other can help. It all setup for only one person can coding. You not seem to understanding this.

Code is no branch, release or proper manage of bug track. Is impossible for any person to helping.

10 Likes

I do understand that. But Vedder needs to review the code and and very often he needs to re-write it.
If a glitch makes a controller do weird things that can be a danger to users. So things need testing.
It is highly complex and in some cases it is hard to see what happens if you do an adjustment in the code.
So the best way to do it is to fork the software, do the change, test it in a non public environment, then share the code change with Benjamin Vedder who will review the code and integrate it.

A locking motor at speed is no fun for a skateboard or unicycle rider. Testing is also not a super simple task. Very often unexpected things can happen on one board, while another board doesn’t show the same behaviour. A faster motor or a motor with more pole counts can react differently. A combination of settings can have a negative impact as well.

1 Like

This not how you proper manage code and release. It still need branch and tag and release. If no have this then is no point! Need to target which release code is for, or is too confuse and cause problem to keep track and can causing people get hurt from mistake!

Maybe best you spending time for fix code manage first instead of trying to bully other.

16 Likes

I just want to make you aware that the code that runs on the VESC or VESC based devices is complex, lots of work for a guy in Sweden and needs permanent attention. That can only be done with sufficient support.
I’m sorry if you misinterpreted my words Jeff. This is no accusation but a request to consider the facts. VESC-Tool is plenty of work on the shoulders of a genius developer and with more kickbacks he can put more effort into it.

I will ad this: The community relied on the fact that Benjamin Vedder codes all the stuff out of pure passion and dedication.

5 Likes

By the sound of it VESC project has a single point of failure. What are we to do one day when Benjamin croaks, and there’s no documentation, and he’s the only one that understands the code base?

9 Likes