šŸŒ  Northern Light | Switchblade with Reverse-mounted Urethane Gear Drives

Look at this handsome mf

15 Likes

At home measured voltages of all the p-groups. Each is 3.88V. Wtf, why wonā€™t it charge normally??? Charger outputs 50.5V, surely thatā€™s within margin of error to still work?

I guess Iā€™ll let this board collect dust until spring, not like I can ride it in the rain much anyway. Want to build a 12s4p battery for it too, save some weight compared to NESE and gain some range. With one of those duck PCBs :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Dang thatā€™s really weird, I was sure the problem would be an unbalanced p-group causing the BMS to lock.

Did you confirm the balance wires are ordered correctly?

Did that back when it was assembled. Checked both with a voltmeter, and by hand.
Wondering what BMS I should use when I use this pack for my mountainboard. I guess an LTT smart oneā€¦

Hmm, I was thinking of just paying an EU based battery builder to build a pack for me since Iā€™m busy with other boards, but none of the trusted EU builders have good example photos of their work to show off their skills. Most donā€™t even have a vendor thread, lol

If any EU battery builder is reading this, share your work! Iā€™d be willing to spend ~450ā‚¬ on a 12s4p P42A battery. But if you charge more, Iā€™ll just do it myselfā€¦

5 Likes

Can recommend.

2 Likes

I guess itā€™s fine if he stops welding directly in the middle of the negative terminalā€¦

Edit: he shared some of his recent work, itā€™s good stuff :+1: Hired him to build the battery :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Acido :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Same comment applies lol

Maybe Iā€™m just spoiled by the pretty packs the US folk are making.

4 Likes

Have you had a look at my recent IG posts?
I donā€™t update that forum post too often ^^

I donā€™t weld at the bottom center anymore since it was first discussed here (:

8 Likes

lol

I noticed one of my gear drives was loose :confused:

Well, I guess the grub screws that hold the gear drive to the hanger should have green threadlocker on them. Also Iā€™ve lost a lot of the small bolts on the outside of the gear drive, because I only used blue threadlocker on them. I was scared to use red because I donā€™t want to melt the POM wheel gear when heating them up to unbolt. But maybe itā€™s safe? Dunno. Guess I have no choice.

Also the drives scraping the ground had ruined one of the bolt heads, so I had to completely drill through the bolt to disintegrate it :cry:

Also note that the plastic guards for 3d servisas gear drives love to jump over the bolts, so use some washers to make sure that doesnā€™t happen.

8 Likes

Permatex Orange is your solution :muscle:

2 Likes

Use red but only a small amount. Works for me.

1 Like

Great thread Raisins!

6 Likes

Thanks! @Simeon has just finished the final 12s4p battery for it too :partying_face:

Here is a photo album of it being built:

Also shoutout to @Zach for selling me his FlexiBMS, it works! :smiley:

I also have a green davega on the front now :open_mouth:
Will take some sexy photos of the complete build once the battery arrives.

16 Likes

ooh, thats nice! I got a switchblade coming next week, so this was a good read.

4 Likes

Wow, I thought I managed to build a decent battery but this makes me feel I still have a lot to learn.

7 Likes

Yesterday my Bestech BMS started exhibiting the same issue. And I finally figured out what was wrong:

One of the p-groups instantly goes to full when charging. Took the cells out, 2 of them are definitely sus:

I wonder what made them go bad. Guess Iā€™ll have to replace all 3.

I also noticed that there are nasty black marks on the tabs of my NESE modules. Should I be concerned @Agniusm ? Theyā€™re pesent on the other p-groups as well.

4 Likes

PMJIā€¦IMO those marks indicate that the cells were bouncing in the holder, disconnecting/reconnecting and arcing each time.

11 Likes