Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

@ahrav we sell them you just have to email us. Our adapters are specific to our own setups. They arenā€™t interchangeable with anything else available.

3 Likes

Thanks @torqueboards. Iā€™ll email you guys. Appreciate it.

1 Like

Since I made 2 boards using vesc I really like them now. Especially the METR Modul would be great on my bike. The E bike ESC have very Limited possibilityā€™s to configure them and I would need an Arduino to change the throttle curve.

5 Likes

Multipart answer: I, personally, would not use a ā€œregularā€ vesc or derivative with a maximum input voltage of 60V with any battery higher than 12s. There are people who do, and do so successfully, but I prefer to leave a larger safety buffer. 13s (54.6V full charge) is much too close for my personal comfort.

There are, however, both first-party (Vedder/Trampa) and third-party vesc derivatives that can handle significantly higher voltages and currents, such as the VESC 75/300 and the various FOCer designs.

There are also some other HV/high-power third-party vesc-based designs such as the A200S that are in various stages of development, as well as other high power non-VESC controllers out there as well, although they are usually extremely expensive.

4 Likes

The VESC 75/300 looks awesome but i dont need THAT much power (yet :wink:). I did not really consider the samller third-party VESC projects yet Berceuse i dont want to waste money on an unfinished possibly buggy controller but ill look around some more.

With the bike i dont necessarily have to use regen breaking. would that lower the risk of voltage spikes killing the VESC?

1 Like

Possibly? The main concern is electrical noise from the vesc itself causing inductive voltage spikes in the battery wires, so while avoiding regen prevents the average battery voltage from ever exceeding 54.6V, there is (in my opinion) still significant danger of a voltage spike exceeding 60V from a full charge, simply because it would take only a little more than 5v of spike/ripple to do so.

If it were me, I would stick with 12s or below, up the KV of your motor and/or change your gearing, and just draw more current. Watts is watts - No matter if itā€™s 10V and 100A, or 100V and 10A, you get the same number of watts.

5 Likes

Iā€™m currently running on a Flipsky 4.2 Dual VESC and I tweak the motor/battery current via the VESC tool app most of the time, my question is do i actually need to enable CAN forwarding every time to change and apply the same setting on the 2nd VESC?

2 Likes

what range can i expect with a 10s5p setup with 160mm at wheels and an 11ah battery?

Rough guess 20ish miles with mild riding? less than 10 if you ride it hard

1 Like

hi guys , where i can buy this grip tape in EU longboard-grip-tape-sheet-army , but i want to be 110 cm long and 30 cm wide , pls i need for my build

a few weeks ago i bought a broken flipsky dual 6.6ā€¦ turns out itā€™s not that broken at all but it has a very weird fault. The slave side only does motor detection with a sensored motor. The detection fails with a unsensored oneā€¦ anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

(master is completely fine and works in unsensored too)

1 Like

No idea what could be wrong ā€“ but I have an idea how to use it.

Run the motor detection on another ESC as unsensored. Record the results, like this for example

Then type those numbers into the ESC that wonā€™t detect. VoilĆ , no more problems :sunglasses:

In fact, those numbers donā€™t even have to be exact, just somewhat close. Obviously closer is better, but you know

3 Likes

What cables/connectors will I need to get my new benchwheel receiver working with my unity?

Receiver pic for reference:

That looks like UART, so:
You need to either get or make a 7 pin JST-PH plug to the unity. Matching up these wires using the COMM port, use only the wires you need, not all 7 pins need to be filled:

I would try connecting the PWM (ā€œPPMā€) servo connection to right here

2 Likes

Oh fudge, didnā€™t even see those pins. Thatā€™s a much better idea. Wonā€™t be able to use the reverse remote function though.

2 Likes

According to the manual that came with, it doesnā€™t have reverseā€¦?
Iā€™m more concerned with the battery level telemetry.

Did no manual come with the receiver? If you run it in PPM mode does it have a wire for voltage pickup? Otherwise you might have to run it in UART mode for telemetry info

FYI:

4 Likes

The manual that came with didnā€™t really explain the connection method at allā€¦ Iā€™ll check their site but idk.