Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I see you just joined, so i bumped your account so you can message and post without restriction. Welcome!

1 Like

with sensorless, it’s harder for the controller to start the motor from standstill (you may have to kickstart) because the controller needs some “back emf” voltage from the spinning magnets to estimate the rotor position. sensorless motors are mechanically simpler and easier to construct.

with sensored, sensors on the motors explicitly tell the controller the rotor position, so it can easily generate torque from a dead stop

i believe vescs run sensored motors sensorless once the motor has started to spin above a certain rpm, so the sensors are really only for getting the motor started initially.

3 Likes

Thanks for all that help and so fast
This answers my question but brings a new question to live what’s FOC mode

2 Likes

I know somebody will explain in to you, but in the meantime you can have a look at this list about most terms.

3 Likes

Thanks this answers my question

FOC mode is slower and less powerful but more efficient and quiet. A safe bet is it would increase your range 1% or maybe 2% at the same riding speed.

4 Likes

That’s the best and shortest answer you’ve ever given. Cheers!

7 Likes

I took away your like because shartis edited his post to extend its length

3 Likes

Why you ruin? WHY?

3 Likes

i’m not known for brevity.

6 Likes

Because “professor” not “mr”

1 Like

They don’t have 210kV apparently right now. And only have 190kV in stock and I can order the 220kV which takes approx 30 days. What do you recommend? For the thorium. Thanks in advance.

What do you need them for?

1 Like

I’ve recently seen somewhat circumstantial evidence that going above around 190kv doesn’t really bring much benefit because although with proper gearing it can reduce the copper losses, above around 5-6k rpm the iron losses can exceed the copper losses and increase exponentially… so assuming you gear accordingly, a low resistance 190kv should be just as good if not better than a same size 210kv with the same copper fill, performance and efficiency wise…

a 190kv motor at 50v does 9500rpm…

2 Likes

Thorium x4 right now it is AT version. Getting gear drives and hangers etc for the urethane version from 3Dservicas. Just needed to get motors as well.

190 it isss. Thanks again @professor_shartsis.

This is easy. MR60 are much easier to cable-tie together so they don’t vibrate apart.

2 Likes

Is cold shock a thing for belts? So far I’ve snapped two belts after going from inside to outside and riding not even crazy hard…
What am I missing here?

2 Likes

Not unless you’re spraying them with liquid nitrogen. Might just be odd luck. How cold are we talking?

3 Likes

Anyone?

1 Like