Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Traction control always seems to cause more problems than it solvesā€¦ I canā€™t be the only one whoā€™s noticing a trend?

so since my vx1 is connected and working in ppm right now, all i do is set the mode in vesc tool (unity tool) to uart and im good to go !?

edit: ah i got ahead of myself, you ment i should connect the pwm cable to the uart port ?

Need help with a similar issue. After 2 hours ride, all of a sudden one side of my dual FSESC died and i almost streetfaced. Iā€™ve been blaiming my fsesc for this but then iā€™ve realized that phase wires got damaged somehow and might got shorted. My dual FSesc is no longer working now so i need to understand if i damaged the FSESC, the motors or both of themā€¦ How can I double-check this? thanks

1 Like

with car batteries i allways got told to disconnect the - first, so thats why i went with thatā€¦

but id like to know whats convention around here

1 Like

AFAIK itā€™ll work exactly the same either way, Iā€™ve just seen more diagrams here with it on positive.
Take a look at the diagrams thread for some examplesā€¦ Iā€™ll try to find a link.
EDIT: Beautiful diagrams! NO WORDS (SERIOUS)

1 Like

Your motors should be fine from a phase short, that will just make them brake.
You can check that theyā€™re ok by giving them a hand spin - they should both turn reasonably easily and smoothly.

Your ESC, on the other hand, is probably game over.
EDIT: hereā€™s a post from @b264 detailing more about checking those motorsā€¦

3 Likes

hmm ok if im not misstaken there is some diagrams that use the negative aswellā€¦ now the only question left is does that make a difference towards protecting the anti-spark in the unity

1 Like

@ahrav are your cloud wheels snug to the motor ABEC adaptor ? On my TB DD my foamies (same as cloud wheels) core are not the same size. Can the wheel rotate independently from the motor (even a few millimeters) ?

3 Likes

Indeed, that was my initial impression. but yesterday I noticed strange behaviour (brake, non-regular spinning) when trying to plug the phase wires in the (turned off) fsesc. I guess thatā€™s a sign of the esc being goneā€¦ correct? Does it make any sense to try and change the phase wires and / or their connectors in the ESC?

I am by no means an electrical engineer, but afaik there is literally no difference.

If those symptoms donā€™t appear in the motor while disconnected from the ESC, then it is most likely some kind of internal short in the ESCā€¦ Iā€™d take a look for any obvious damage (anything melty or burny is typically a good sign of damage) and check the phase leads for shorts to see if itā€™s repairable.

It will work but add some additional height.

1 Like

Thanks so much, very useful mate. no signs of shorts or burns on the ESC but still it doesnā€™t work. Tomorrow iā€™ll receive backups ESC to try, i hope the motors will prove to work well. in the meantime, i got in touch with flipsky for assistanceā€¦ not sure if i should try send it back to china right away of first dare to change the leads / connectors. i dont want to send it to china but neither i want to void the warranty by trying to fix it myself

yea, its allready mounted and working, but i had to do guesswork on the angle because i dont know what the lines engraved on the baseplate indicateā€¦ like are they steps of 5 degrees in each direction from center or whatever ?

Given the current state of affairs, Iā€™d also be averse to sending it to Chinaā€¦
In terms of repair, perhaps talk to one of these fine fellows:

1 Like

Pretty sure they are 5 degrees. Work from 0 and then negate the angle of the deck.

2 Likes

awesome, lets see then where my guesswork took me :see_no_evil:
thanks for chiming in

1 Like

cant thank you enough!

1 Like

Donā€™t just commit to 0 degrees.

Take your tools to a big parking lot and fine tune it to your preferences. Definitely takes a minute, but totally worth the effort.

2 Likes

im a bit torn about the settingā€¦
ive read that on tkp wedging the front is not as beneficial as on rkpsā€¦ but yea the solution is just to go try, like you say

2 Likes