Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

you can ditchthe uart cable and use the unity’s pwm cable instead. the receiver can do both, the only thing the option at purchase determines is which cable they send you. Since you have a unity which comes with a PWM cable you can just use it with your receiver.

But to answer your question: i don’t know if that’s the whole problem or not. Try disabling traction control also and see if it still does it. Somebody was mentioning that may also be a thing.

1 Like

Traction control always seems to cause more problems than it solves… I can’t be the only one who’s noticing a trend?

so since my vx1 is connected and working in ppm right now, all i do is set the mode in vesc tool (unity tool) to uart and im good to go !?

edit: ah i got ahead of myself, you ment i should connect the pwm cable to the uart port ?

Need help with a similar issue. After 2 hours ride, all of a sudden one side of my dual FSESC died and i almost streetfaced. I’ve been blaiming my fsesc for this but then i’ve realized that phase wires got damaged somehow and might got shorted. My dual FSesc is no longer working now so i need to understand if i damaged the FSESC, the motors or both of them… How can I double-check this? thanks

1 Like

with car batteries i allways got told to disconnect the - first, so thats why i went with that…

but id like to know whats convention around here

1 Like

AFAIK it’ll work exactly the same either way, I’ve just seen more diagrams here with it on positive.
Take a look at the diagrams thread for some examples… I’ll try to find a link.
EDIT: Beautiful diagrams! NO WORDS (SERIOUS)

1 Like

Your motors should be fine from a phase short, that will just make them brake.
You can check that they’re ok by giving them a hand spin - they should both turn reasonably easily and smoothly.

Your ESC, on the other hand, is probably game over.
EDIT: here’s a post from @b264 detailing more about checking those motors…

3 Likes

hmm ok if im not misstaken there is some diagrams that use the negative aswell… now the only question left is does that make a difference towards protecting the anti-spark in the unity

1 Like

@ahrav are your cloud wheels snug to the motor ABEC adaptor ? On my TB DD my foamies (same as cloud wheels) core are not the same size. Can the wheel rotate independently from the motor (even a few millimeters) ?

3 Likes

Indeed, that was my initial impression. but yesterday I noticed strange behaviour (brake, non-regular spinning) when trying to plug the phase wires in the (turned off) fsesc. I guess that’s a sign of the esc being gone… correct? Does it make any sense to try and change the phase wires and / or their connectors in the ESC?

I am by no means an electrical engineer, but afaik there is literally no difference.

If those symptoms don’t appear in the motor while disconnected from the ESC, then it is most likely some kind of internal short in the ESC… I’d take a look for any obvious damage (anything melty or burny is typically a good sign of damage) and check the phase leads for shorts to see if it’s repairable.

It will work but add some additional height.

1 Like

Thanks so much, very useful mate. no signs of shorts or burns on the ESC but still it doesn’t work. Tomorrow i’ll receive backups ESC to try, i hope the motors will prove to work well. in the meantime, i got in touch with flipsky for assistance… not sure if i should try send it back to china right away of first dare to change the leads / connectors. i dont want to send it to china but neither i want to void the warranty by trying to fix it myself

yea, its allready mounted and working, but i had to do guesswork on the angle because i dont know what the lines engraved on the baseplate indicate… like are they steps of 5 degrees in each direction from center or whatever ?

Given the current state of affairs, I’d also be averse to sending it to China…
In terms of repair, perhaps talk to one of these fine fellows:

1 Like

Pretty sure they are 5 degrees. Work from 0 and then negate the angle of the deck.

2 Likes

awesome, lets see then where my guesswork took me :see_no_evil:
thanks for chiming in

1 Like

cant thank you enough!

1 Like

Don’t just commit to 0 degrees.

Take your tools to a big parking lot and fine tune it to your preferences. Definitely takes a minute, but totally worth the effort.

2 Likes