Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Itā€™s 28.

2 Likes

Hey guys! Chris here, just migrated from the other builders forum. Didnā€™t have an account there but had been lurking on and off for the past year contemplating a diy build. I believe new users are not allowed to post new topics so I guess I shall direct my question to this newbie thread!

Just wondering - how do people place orders around here? I realise there are some people selling parts through this forum but I have no idea if they are trustworthy or not. Is there a tag on an individual for me to see if they are a trusted seller?

1 Like

Use Paypal and select ā€œGoods and Servicesā€

This gives you recourse in case the person does not ship your goods. The seller also pays approximately a 3% fee from what you send them, for this insurance.

Donā€™t use Paypal ā€œFriends and Familyā€ for anyone except friends and family, because itā€™s just like crisp cash banknotes in real life ā€” once sent, itā€™s gone. However, no fees are paid by either party.

This is all assuming all transactions are within the USA borders. For international, there are other fees.

6 Likes

Hey Chris-

I bumped your account so you can post and message. Itā€™s what I do around here.

Welcome!

9 Likes

Hey thanks!

2 Likes

It depends on the sales thread. Leave a comment on it and you transition into a pm for more details or just do the dm. Tell them what you want, you pay, give them your Adress and they ship it. Some sellers have a website which usually is listed within the Post itself.

Some topics about trusted sellers and trusted battery builders :

4 Likes

Sorry if this is super noooob.
How do you calculate gearing like 3dsas does with 1: 3.5 or 1: 2.6?
I want to know how many teeth on each pulley because you canā€™t add 1: 2.6 in an esk8 calculater.
Cheers

Just multiply everything by whatever (ten is easy) to get numbers the calculator likes. The numbers themselves donā€™t matter, only the ratio. That way 1:2.6 = 10 and 26. You could also multiply by a hundred, or fifty, or fourty-two. Doesnā€™t matter, as long as you do it to both sides.

4 Likes

Ah cheers, makes sense :sweat_smile:

I saw this post and didnā€™t think I could trust the vendor list because it doesnā€™t seem to be updated or completeā€¦ i.e i couldnā€™t see @avXā€™s name in it and i saw @hyperion1ā€™s name in there. From several forum searches, I thought he had duped people of their money?

4 Likes

Damn you are right. Its been a while. It needs some work. @Zach Are you up to date with the current legit vendors? The list still has some not so great vendor names inside but iā€™m not 100% certain on some so i donā€™t want to risk removing somebody.

EDIT : @ShutterShock, not zach. sorry

4 Likes

Has anyone had experience with those trucks (clone calibers for only 10ā‚¬?!?)#Aliexpress ā‚¬ 10,33 32%OFF | 7 Inch Black Skateboard Longboard Trucks Alloy Holders Brackets Sports High-quality
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sjfslK Like i dont know how can they be that cheap. For some ultra low budget builds they may be good. Maybe ill buy them for sciencešŸ˜‰.

1 Like

i mean there is science and science.
That is just plains stupid because it could be very dangerous. If those snap while riding then you need to acknowledge the consequences.
It is just way to cheap. And i personnaly donā€™t put anything questiuonable on my builds. DIY esk8 is not cheaper than a prebuilt, but you diy something for you.
If you want a budget board get a meepo or exway , you canā€™t diy something that good in that price range because they are mass production boards so they can get the parts for cheap.

:wink:

2 Likes

Yeah i know. I was just wondering how bad they realy are so if no one tested them i can do it. It could happen that they are decent, who knowsšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø. I would rather build a board for 300ā‚¬ than buy prebuild because it would be a totaly diferent chalenge and enjoy building as much as riding.

1 Like

I will update the list. Avio was not yet selling drives at that point.

I was working with some of the mods to try and figure out a vendor system but we have not completed that yet.

5 Likes

I have some gulwing clones on one of my boards $30 a set after just a few rides I noticed the axels were slightly bent. Non hardened steel. Its one area I wont cut corners on anymore.

1 Like

Guys iā€™m having a really bad time with my Focbox Unity, for the past couple of weeks i have been struggling to get the computer to connect to my unity via usb, it doesnt detect it, so i figured i bricked it and ordered an st link v2 from the st website, it got here today, and for the past couple of hours iā€™ve been trying to get the thing to connect using the unity tool, but that isnt working either. I dont know what else to do and i feel like i cant find anything at all that can help me ive looked everywhere. Please help if you have any idea whats going on. If possible pictures are extrodinarily appreciated, and would have been usefull in some of the other threads on this topic that i looked in. Thanks again.

you can follow setup guides on YouTube and forums as to how to use the vesc tool that majority of people use to program their vescs

Your computer wont detect it as a device in say the files tabā€¦ you need the vesc tool to customize and setup one of these escs. Also check enertion as they may also have links tied to the product page. I do not have a focbox so I would not know but from what I know the process should be fairly similar.

In fact I just went to enertions site and they have several links for pc and mobile softwareā€¦ try those
@TheFlash