Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

This is what I got to work with which port would I plug into if I bought it?

1 Like

1 Like

It might be a stupid qestion but whatever. Is it possible to use two different vescā€™s in a dual setup??? Thanks

1 Like

I couldnā€™t find any info about that

I donā€™t think thatā€™s true for some ā€œdualā€ controllers like Unity but I donā€™t have dual controllers so IDK

If they are VESC compatible, then yes this is not a problem. If you use CANBUS there are other considerations, but otherwise everything should just work without using CAN.

Use split PWM (ā€œPPMā€) or dual PWM (ā€œPPMā€)

2 Likes

so if i want to connect maytech 4.12 with focbox what should i do? just the CANBUS?

Do anything except CANBUS

Use split PWM (ā€œPPMā€) or dual PWM (ā€œPPMā€)

You can actually use CANBUS but youā€™d need to match firmware versions and there are a lot more gotchas

2 Likes

ok thank you :smile:

1 Like

Realize that one side is going to overheat and throttle down much sooner than the other side though. But this is fine

but do i have to make the both settings same?

No, in fact the settings will be different. The 4.12 probably doesnā€™t want more than 25A - 30A ā€œbattery maxā€ while the FOCBOX can do more

The motor numbers should match your motors.

Just set each one up like itā€™s on its own on a single drive skate.

2 Likes

Limiting the FOCBOX battery max to the same as the 4.12 battery max can make it feel more symmetrical and not pull to one side on hard acceleration

But really torquesteer isnā€™t that bad, you get used to it in a jiffy just like any other quirk of your board

2 Likes

i think of dual setup but one motor on front the other on back so i think it shouldnt be such a problem

1 Like

Put the FOCBOX on the rear motor, on the heelside of the board

4.12 on front toeside

3 Likes

tru, thanks for help :grinning:

1 Like

Anyone here have nothing but problems with the pryside antispark? Today it almost took my battery and my car (lmfao) so itā€™s getting put out of commission but everyone else who has them hasnt had any of the problems Iā€™ve been having.

1 Like

If youā€™re doing dual diagonal, I would not even match these. Just run each one to its full ability

1 Like

Mike is right, and I say that as someone who has a board each with eLofty original 58 KV DDs and a dual 6374 belt drive.

ELofty/cheaper DD drives:

My eLofty drives have been great for me, and up until recently, itā€™s been the board I grabbed first when going for a fun ride. But my cheap DD drives have been the exception rather than the rule. Iā€™m on borrowed time. Also, Iā€™m a bit bored with the fixed top speed on TB 110S.

Pros:

Easy to build with. Plug and play. Work well with a number of ESCs, but best with vesc-based unit. Cheap.

Cons:

Harder than you think to find a new pair without manufacturing flaws. 1:1 limits your performance/flexibility. Adapters arenā€™t as prevalent/easy to find as wheel pulleys. If a motor goes bad, finding/sourcing a matching motor may be difficult with so many variations out there.

Belt drive:

The dual belts took longer to get right, but the rewards more than make up for the extra work. Offers far more flexibility. I can dial up stronger acceleration or top speed with pulley swaps. Plus, I have extra components for everything on the shelf if I need them. This board is now my favourite.

Pros:

Performance, flexibility and ease of repair. Belts are a long-time proven performer and thereā€™s a ton of options out there. You learn a bunch of things in the process of putting it together. Properly juiced dual 6374 power (or dual 6355 in your case-not a huge difference) is great.

Cons:

Takes more time to tweak and get right. You need to source and acquire a bunch of separate pieces that come together as a whole. More expensive.

7 Likes

Surely its more efficient for the battery though? Drawing less amps from the cells is usually better right?

1 Like