Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Yes, when your testicles drop :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

I dropped them pretty hard yesterday!

7 Likes

LOL, nice comeback :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the best way to reprogram a VESC 4.12 that’s been sitting for eight(ish) months? Do I need to worry about firmware versions with the new tools? Should I hook up the same voltage battery that was connected before it was disconnected? There hasn’t been any attempt to reprogram it for 2ish years.

It should be fine. Do you have any reason to suspect it’s not? If you just want new firmware go here…

Download the lastest vesc_tool(the creator of VESC) and program it. Any battery size from 3S to 12S will work for motor detection. It doesn’t need the same voltage as before.

Detailed instructions here:All new 2019 vesc-tool

Does anyone run RKP rear TKP front?

Seems like it would make for a really good carving board but still be stable at higher speeds

@b264 would this be like your RKP DKP ?

No, it will not spark.

1 Like

Yeah, crazy battery and motor numbers in the wizard, that’s awesome for a guy that is unclear on how to program a VESC. Maybe worry about the user more and busting my balls less.

Umm, I go with the default settings and only increase stuff if it feels underpowered. Not trying to bust anyone’s balls. If the main maintained vesc-tool has issues it should get called out and fixed.

@mmaner, what crazy values are you talking about? I have always found them to be conservative. Can you link me? I curious what might have happened.

So I ordered a second receiver from Hoyt St. and it arrived today. Same problem. If I shut off the remote with power still on to the board the wheels spin up to full speed after a 1 second delay (the lost signal timeout). I have also ordered a complete second remote and receiver from Torqueboards (same place my motors and VESCs are from). That doesn’t arrive until Saturday.

I did a little more experimentation with the real time data mode in the application PPM mapping settings. I noticed that the input does not jump to full input after a 1 second delay. The input jumps to 30% after a 1 second delay. So I set the input deadband to 35% and sure enough the wheels didn’t turn when I shut the remote off. After a 1 second delay the input jumps to 30% and stays there. When I turn the remote back on the input falls back down to 0 +/-2%. Bizarre.

The remote has 3 modes. The input only goes to roughly half scale in mode 1 but full scale in mode 3. Doesn’t matter which mode the remote is in when I shut it off. The input always goes to 30%.

2 Likes

Some day you will wish they would stop dropping.

6 Likes

You may have done this already. Try this…Make sure your trim is at center. Then rebind it again?

I’m using the Hoyt. I don’t have any of the issues you’re having. I wonder what’s different on yours vs mine. Too bad I get off around 1230am. Otherwise, I’d let you use my spare remotes.

I have been through the setup so many times I can do it blindfolded. I have done it with two different receivers and the same result.

I did that. It’s all in the other 2 threads, but I’ll link you dinner data when u get home.

Bummer to hear I made my RX/TX so serial debugging was a bit easier but being the only tester had down sides (destroyed a board because of throttle runaway) but for an off the shelf or out of the box product it shouldn’t be so difficult. What’s your idle value sorry know we saw this but I forgot is it 1.75ms it might be that the receivers are sending the correct idle (1.75) but the transmitters range makes idle too low.

Nope. Spring trucks generally have the same pattern but urethane trucks like MBS matrix 2s use standard 4 bolt pattern.

These are the auto detected values assigned by teh VESC-Tool Wizard on my FlipSky FSESC 4.20 plus…

3%20foc%20detection%20result

Here’s my log attempting to use VESC-Tool 1.13…

9:12 AM 6/21/2019 attempt to update firmware on all devices using can bus, result is buffer erase timeout
9:16 AM 6/21/2019 attempt to update firmware on master, result is successfull
9:17 AM 6/21/2019 attempt to update firmware on slave, result is successfull
9:18 AM 6/21/2019 autoconnect > setup motors FOC
mini outrunner (~75g), Liion 10s 12ah, 18/36 100
run detection
9:22 AM 6/21/2019 it appears to have completed, checking values
9:24 AM 6/21/2019 Motor > General > General - BLDC, not FOC
Motor > General > Current - WTF! I dont even think this thing will ride with these values…
9:27 AM 6/21/2019 Motor > BLDC > General - Sensor Mode is reported as Sensorless, incorrect
Motor > FOC > Hall Sensors - sensors values are correct, why no sensors detected?
9:30 AM 6/21/2019 this is unpredictable, not safe, going back to Ack firmware

I get equally crazy wizard results with x2 FlipSky FSESC 4.20 plus, x2 FocBox, x2 TB 4.12 VESCC and x2 VESC-X. There are others getting unusable results as well, quite a few. I wouldn’t ride a board with those values, hell I wouldn’t put Frank on a board with those values :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Has anyone seen this?

Seems like a dual 6 vesc variant for 200 bucks. I only see 2 capacitors though which is probably not good.

I like the specs, it’s a value for the price. I don’t like the lack of can control or the built in receiver.

1 Like