Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

I didnā€™t see if you got confirmation on your question.
Sorry if itā€™s already been answered

@Venom121212 is correct The matrix ii top truck will work on the original matrix spring trucks with the plate that aligns the shock block removed.

Other than that plate they are the same.

4 Likes

Nice :ok_hand: good science!

2 Likes

Fixed the cogging, but thereā€™s another, weirder issueā€¦
Past a certain speed, one of the motors suddenly jumps up in speed and just generally starts behaving weirdlyā€¦ Iā€™ve heard of this happening on the unity but I canā€™t find any details.

1 Like

Ok so previous issues aside - as soon as I turn my unity off and seal up my enclosure, the unity resets on the next power on? All values are set to defaultsā€¦ This has happened twice now and at this point Iā€™m too sick of all the crap thatā€™s been happening to keep working today.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a pair of FOCBoxes and they are being kinda picky with sensors. Iā€™ve got TB motors with good sensors but motor detection always shows up as sensorlessā€¦I though it was something with the temp line and a hall line being swapped (according to the casing relative to the motor based on the wire colors). Any ideas what to do about it? Iā€™m swapping to FS 6384s in a week but I thought Iā€™d diagnose the problem now

A hall sensor in diode checking mode.

Another one.

The temp sensor still in diode checking mode.

Temp sensor checked with ohm/resistance measurement.

1 Like

So relative to ground, halls are diodes and temp is a resistor?

2 Likes

This is normal with sensorless, but not on the bench. With no load, even sensorless should spin up to full speed every time very quickly. They only cog when a load is applied and the speed is exactly 0.0km/h

2 Likes

You can type those numbers in manually. Sometimes if Iā€™m using a motor Iā€™ve already ran detection with, I just type the numbers in from before.

But I would try running detection again with higher duty cycle and higher current and see if that helps

2 Likes

I managed to get a set of values that spins the motors up nice and smooth, but they donā€™t spin as I would expect them toā€¦ AFAIK they should spin to full speed on the bench at low throttle, but mine seem to depend on the throttle to change speed. It ends up looking fairly similar to a normal ā€œbldc modeā€ esc.
Any ideas on why the esc keeps resetting itself? Is there a hardware reset button that Iā€™m hitting accidentally or something?
EDIT: Is there a way to use the Unity as a normal bldc esc? When I was running on rc escā€™s I really liked the feel of the motors and Iā€™d love to get that response on the Unity as long as the brakes still work :stuck_out_tongue:

Yah I mean I donā€™t know if saying they are diodes is technically correct but know you can measure other semiconductors in diode mode and at least it helps differentiate in this case but yah temp sense should show as a resistor and if you blast it with heat should change resistance (Iā€™m not sure if mine is right for what the vesc expects but the hall sensors work)

1 Like

Check out the control modes in the general app settings tab use ā€œcurrent control no brakeā€ for typical nice riding, you might be in velocity mode or something else, if in current mode and still accelerating slow double check your voltage cut off limits and current settings for the motor and battery.

Itā€™s not that itā€™s accelerating slowā€¦ It just doesnā€™t accelerate without more throttle. As far as Iā€™ve heard motors should reach top speed almost immediately on benchtop without needing to adjust the throttle at allā€¦
If the unity keeps giving me a hard time like this I might just switch back to my rc escā€™s :stuck_out_tongue:
PS itā€™s in current w/ brake mode

If you are at about half throttle it should get up to max speed on the bench in a matter of a second or two. Can check out the realtime data view and the on the RT data toggle to see whatā€™s going on current wise the RT App toggle lets you see the control input make sure all of that is right or your gonna have a bad time share some screencaps if things donā€™t seem to be working. Show the battery and motor config and rt app data and config pages.

Realtime data doesnā€™t even show up in the focbox tool for meā€¦

Donā€™t judge but @Itsmedant is it possible to use a kaly deck as an emtb? it pretty much looks like the same contruction as a trampa (not esthetics lol the kaly is way better!)
It even has mtb holes for the mtb trucks.
Not sure if i should summon Ernesto?

2 Likes

I donā€™t see why not.

Youā€™re gonna have to drill for the bindings

3 Likes

How much flex does it have?

1 Like

Itā€™s got good flex dude, depending on what you weigh and what you wanna do with it, it may even have too much flex.

Does Ernesto make them in different flex ratings?

1 Like

Will get some screenshots from the VESC_tool later today showing which buttons need to be pushed to get realtime data and what screenshots are important not sure what you mean by focboc tool though (did enertion make their own copy of the config tool?)