Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

no because the torque per amp depends entirely on the actual KV. so if you are estimating your torque per amp based on an under-inflated KV value, you will predict that you have more available torque per amp than you actually have.

2 Likes

If I just want to know the speed, is it correct? This is the personal calculator I use for all my boards

Hi.
I build a firefly custom remote, and ppm is working but i have no idea how to get the data about speed and battery voltage. If im right the tx and rx pins on the receiver connect to rx and tx on my vesc6. But what now, because nothing shows up on my remote. Do i need to set something up in vesc tool?

Thank you for the anwsers.

Don’t have one but you need to enable uart and ppm in the application settings in the VESC tool, think most things use 115200 baud rate but might need to fiddle with that as well then write app config and check.

1:4 gearing is the highest gear ratio I would go with for light offroading. I’m at 1:5 and like it for a board that is majority on road but likes to get dirty in the woods and BMX park. Id go even lower on gear ratio if I wanted a true mtb but I have yet to ride something where my setup wasn’t enough.

@olsyke go with the larger 6374. Not sure if you’re aware that 6374 means 63mm diameter motor can that is 74 mm long. They will run cooler.

1 Like

Bookmarked
Justin if you could go over to my thread on speed vs torque you could edit it a bit and make it cleaner with all your knowledge. It is a WIKI btw.

yes im aware of that, only the fact that the bigger motor had the lower wattage value made me think that its still weaker than the shorter one for unknown reasons (quality / windings)

thanks for enlightening me on this guys :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

thanks… I learned a new word… goal attained for today, I’m gunna go skate!

2 Likes

what setting stops the studder when trying to accelerate slowly.

You mean the chatter right at 0.00km/h? Thats called “cogging” because without back EMF the controller doesn’t know how fast the rotor is spinning. Sensors telling the controller what position the rotor is in can eliminate cogging, but also increase failure rates, especially around water.

Or just a small hip flick and you will figure out how to make it not a problem as you get comfortable with the machine

1 Like

thx bruh…i’ve been doing the hip thing as well as kick offs to get around it already…thought it might be a setting for it somewhere…

3 Likes

Why don’t I see dual diagonal MTBs?

It seems like there would be better traction and weight balance than dual rear.

1 Like

Braking on dual diagonal means you can completely lock up both drive wheels and still retain steering ability. I also don’t know why, but I suspect it’s for aesthetic reasons.

4 Likes

I upgraded my 4.12 esc to a 6.x. It is a little bigger and does not fit in the back of my enclosure. Any concerns with stacking it on top of the battery. I may have room for a small standoff to minimize the direct contact with the esc, but I am not sure how hot the outside of the aluminum housing gets and if it is an issue for the battery. Thoughts?

Sometimes redoing motor calibration if you’ve adjusted any wires or connections can help to reduce the cogging but otherwise like Brian said sensors will eliminate it and can run “hybrid” mode where sensors are used below some erpm since the back EMF is good enough at speed and the hall sensors could be worse, but at low rpm the sensors can basically eliminate any cogging which is nice (particularly on the pneumatic build)

2 Likes

You not only need TX and Rx, but also a common ground for the devices to communicate.
TX --------------- RX
RX --------------- TX
GROUND ------ GROUND

Also, try 9600 and 115200 bauds.

2 Likes

What about a pair of lower kv motors - 130/150kv? Or is it just the gear ratio that will makes a difference.

cool. I’ll read up on it some more tonight…interesting stuff.

Isnt the ground on the ppm enough?

This will help you understand what motor kv is specifically.

Motor gearing and kv work hand in hand to balance speed and torque… Changing one will affect both.

Generally speaking,

Low kv motors are better for torque
High kv motors are better for speed

1 Like